How Important Is Bike Size...?

Discussion in 'Bike buying advice' started by greenhornbiker, Feb 8, 2008.

1. greenhornbiker

greenhornbiker New Member

I recently bought a cafe' (flat bar) style road bike and keep worrying that about it being too small for me. I measured myself for standover using a level and got 33" (my inseam). The top tube on my bike is 30 1/2" from the ground. So my standover ends up being 2 1/2" instead of the recommended 1", I guess my question is "what are the ill effects of a bike frame that is a little smaller than recommended. I will just be doing casual road rides/fitness, maybe a weekend tour also. the only thing I could think of being negative is the handlebars being low, but the handlebars adjust upwards, and they ended up being only an inch lower than my seat. I am comfortable on it and it rides fast and smooth.

Tags:

2. daveryanwyoming

daveryanwyoming Well-Known Member

standover height is about the least important sizing parameter assuming you can actually stand over the bike. Top tube and stem length and hence how far you have to reach to the bars probably comes first followed by seat height. But today with compact frames, the availability of very long seatposts and a wide variety of rise, drop, short, long and adjustable stems bike fit isn't very dependent on standover height.

If the bike feels good to ride, your saddle is adjusted for good leg extension and you don't feel overly stretched out or scrunched up reaching for the bars then you're probably fine. Google "bike fitting" for lots of good links on things like leg extension. Or have a fitter at your LBS take a look at your position.

Good luck,
    Dave

3. greenhornbiker

greenhornbiker New Member

Thanks Dave...you made me day.