How important is weight?

Bob Landry

Guest
For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
speed. Here's a link for the curious:
http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).

FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
change, only be ignored.

Bob
Just another nice basic flake.
(and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry
<[email protected]> wrote:

>For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
>Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
>useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>
>BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
>speed. Here's a link for the curious:
>http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>
>I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
>a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
>weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>
>FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
>the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
>stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
>will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
>alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
>Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
>change, only be ignored.
>

>Bob
>Just another nice basic flake.
>(and old fart in training)
>
>International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

There was a gentleman here in Lincoln, Nebraska that looked into the
three speed. He wanted to upgrade immediately to an 8 speed internal.
That would have cost around 200-300 depending. WizWheels said that
this WAS possible but, because you had to stretch the rear out just a
little that it would void the warranty. ((understandable))

Then, with all the other upgrades he wanted to do he has since decided
that he will go with a 24 speed right off the bat as it's essentially
cheaper to go that route instead of trying to upgrade something that
wasn't designed for it.

I have also plonked the Dolan rantings long ago. I only see them when
they are quoted by others.

Bob Landry <[email protected]> wrote:

>For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
>Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
>useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>
>BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
>speed. Here's a link for the curious:
>http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>
>I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
>a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
>weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>
>FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
>the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
>stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
>will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
>alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
>Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
>change, only be ignored.
>

>Bob
>Just another nice basic flake.
>(and old fart in training)
>
>International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

Well for starters, I'm 6'2", about 270 lbs. (mostly comprised of legs
and shoulders). I am slowly building a delta that should come in the
45-50 lb range.

I decided early that a gear range would be needed for general riding.
A quick look at the site has some already set up. I did a look saw the
Edge weighed in at 31 lbs.

If I were to purchase one I would go for a multispeed. Converting a
3-speed to a multispeed could bring up problems, though on Sheldon's
site there is a section about people going from multispeed to 3-speed.

Totally agree with your above FWIW above.

Don

Bob Landry wrote:
> For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
> Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
> useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

The good news is that the WizWheelz TerraTrike Path appears to use the
regular WizWheelz frame and seat, so it will be worth upgrading. The
same is not true of some of the low end trikes aimed at the tourist
resort rental market.

> BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
> speed. Here's a link for the curious:
> http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

39 pounds is not bad for a steel frame tadpole trike, when you consider
a high-end Trice ($5K+) with lightweight parts will still be almost 30
pounds. To put the weight in another perspective, most recumbent
bicycles are over 30 pounds before adding accessories.

> I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
> a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
> weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).[...]

Since WizWheelz includes a chain tensioner and front derailer mast, a
triple crank could be used. Other options would be 5, 7, 8 or 9-speed
internally geared hubs from SRAM, Shimano and Sturmey Archer, the SRAM
3x8 and 3x9 DualDrive hubs which combine a 3-speed hub with external
cassette and derailer, or if you wish to double the price, the 14-speed
Rohloff hub.

You will need to upgrade the pedal to something with foot retention
(Power Grips, "clipless" pedals and shoes, or clips and straps if you
plan to do more than tool around the neighborhood, since it takes
conscious effort to hold one's feet to the pedals. One does NOT want to
have one's foot come off and catch on the ground while riding at speed,
as this can result in leg injury.

On Feb 20, 12:01 pm, Bob Landry <[email protected]>
wrote:
> For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in
> Utah who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of
> useful accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>
> BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
> speed. Here's a link for the curious:http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>
> I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to
> a double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those
> weird multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>
> FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
> the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to
> stop quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that
> will allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
> alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
> Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
> change, only be ignored.
>
> Bob
> Just another nice basic flake.
> (and old fart in training)
>
> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

Bob,

The trike is a good value at 1k. It appears to me that this trike can
be upgraded to use conventional derailluers or a Nexus 8 spd hub. The
weight shouldn't be an issue. More importantly, is where the wieght
resides. If some of the bulk is in the wheels, perhaps lighter
tires. Anyway, 1k is a deal.

Happy rides,

Rickey

On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry wrote:

> For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in Utah
> who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of useful
> accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>
> BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
> speed. Here's a link for the curious:
> http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>
> I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to a
> double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those weird
> multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>
> FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
> the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to stop
> quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that will
> allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
> alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
> Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
> change, only be ignored.
>

> Bob
> Just another nice basic flake.
> (and old fart in training)
>
> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

How hilly is your riding area?
If hilly, how fast do you want to go?
To quote another response to a similar question, when you come to a hill,
do you want to ride up it or walk it?
You can get anywhere on a 3 speed, but if you want to climb hills, top
speed is gonna suck.
For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
transmission.

On Feb 21, 8:18 pm, me <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry wrote:
> > For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in Utah
> > who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of useful
> > accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.

> > BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
> > speed. Here's a link for the curious:
> >http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html

> > I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to a
> > double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those weird
> > multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).

> > FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
> > the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to stop
> > quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that will
> > allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
> > alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
> > Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
> > change, only be ignored.

> > Bob
> > Just another nice basic flake.
> > (and old fart in training)

> > International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

> How hilly is your riding area?
> If hilly, how fast do you want to go?
> To quote another response to a similar question, when you come to a hill,
> do you want to ride up it or walk it?
> You can get anywhere on a 3 speed, but if you want to climb hills, top
> speed is gonna suck.
> For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
> gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
> transmission.- Hide quoted text -

With all do respect, installing an expensive Rohloff on a bottom value
trike is like putting lipstick on pig. I propose a conventional
derailluer system. However, if fancy is the magic adjective, how
about one of those schlupf (sp?) drive cranks? I believe the Mtn drive
would be sufficient. However, I don't have the foggiest idea what
gear range this would produce, but it would look really cool!!!

[email protected] ??? wrote:
> On Feb 21, 8:18 pm, me <[email protected]> wrote:
>> [...]
>> For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
>> gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
>> transmission.- Hide quoted text -

> With all do respect, installing an expensive Rohloff on a bottom value
> trike is like putting lipstick on pig. I propose a conventional
> derailluer system.

The late Sheldon Brown asks that you spell it "derailer" [1].

Note the correct French spelling is "dérailleur".

> However, if fancy is the magic adjective, how
> about one of those schlupf (sp?) drive cranks? I believe the Mtn drive
> would be sufficient. However, I don't have the foggiest idea what
> gear range this would produce, but it would look really cool!!!

The inventor spells his name Florian Schlumpf [2].

Again, from Sheldon, a gear calculator [3]. Just calculate the "virtual"
number of teeth for the Schlumpf being engaged and enter it in as the
second chainring.

[1] <http://sheldonbrown.com/derailer.html>.
[2] <http://www.foldabikes.com/Welcome/team/florian.jpg>.
[3] <http://sheldonbrown.com/gears/index.html>.

On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:18:59 GMT, me <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry wrote:
>
>> For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in Utah
>> who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of useful
>> accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>>
>> BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
>> speed. Here's a link for the curious:
>> http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>>
>> I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to a
>> double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those weird
>> multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>>
>> FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
>> the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to stop
>> quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that will
>> allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
>> alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
>> Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
>> change, only be ignored.
>>

>> Bob
>> Just another nice basic flake.
>> (and old fart in training)
>>
>> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

>How hilly is your riding area?
>If hilly, how fast do you want to go?
>To quote another response to a similar question, when you come to a hill,
>do you want to ride up it or walk it?
>You can get anywhere on a 3 speed, but if you want to climb hills, top
>speed is gonna suck.
>For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
>gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
>transmission.

Hills are the operative word here. No matter what direction you leave
on at some point, going or coming back, you're gonna have to climb a
hill. If, at some point, I decided to try to commute to work, it would
be 20 miles+ with a very deceptive climb right up to the front door.

That's my main concern with the 3 speed hub and it's why I'm thinking
about the Rohloff. On the other hand, I'm used to derailleurs on my
upright bikes, so there'd be no learning curve.

Being a mathematical dolt, I was intrigued by the claims on the site
about the lack of redundancy in gearing with the 8 speed hub and the
Rohloff crank. I remember making gear charts for my uprights and
seeing how similar the gearing was over parts of the range.

Bob
Just another nice basic flake.
(and old fart in training)

International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

"Bob Landry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 22 Feb 2008 04:18:59 GMT, me <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 20 Feb 2008 13:01:49 -0700, Bob Landry wrote:
>>
>>> For starters, I'm 6'4", about 218 lbs. I've found a dealer here in Utah
>>> who sells a 'starter' trike for about $999 and offers lots of useful
>>> accessories for commuting, touring, safety, etc.
>>>
>>> BUT, the machine weighs in the neighborhood of 39 lbs. and is only a 3
>>> speed. Here's a link for the curious:
>>> http://www.utahtrikes.com/TRIKESPECS-WWPATH.html
>>>
>>> I'm wondering if I could start out with this and then upgrade later to a
>>> double or triple chainweel and a multi speed hub (or one of those weird
>>> multi-range hubs that I really don't understand).
>>>
>>> FWIW, I like this group and have gotten some good info here. I plonked
>>> the Dolanhole long ago, and would simply encourage everyone here to stop
>>> quoting him, referring to him, and get a regular newsreader that will
>>> allow filtering him and others of his ilk. We have done this on
>>> alt.smokers.pipes and the troll count has gone down remarkably.
>>> Narcissists like the Dolanhole live for responses, and will never
>>> change, only be ignored.
>>>

>>> Bob
>>> Just another nice basic flake.
>>> (and old fart in training)
>>>
>>> International Pipe-raising Day, Feb. 20th

>>How hilly is your riding area?
>>If hilly, how fast do you want to go?
>>To quote another response to a similar question, when you come to a hill,
>>do you want to ride up it or walk it?
>>You can get anywhere on a 3 speed, but if you want to climb hills, top
>>speed is gonna suck.
>>For double the cost, you can get a Rohloff hub gear, with comparable
>>gearing to a 27 speed setup, and pretty much forget about breaking the
>>transmission.

> Hills are the operative word here. No matter what direction you leave
> on at some point, going or coming back, you're gonna have to climb a
> hill. If, at some point, I decided to try to commute to work, it would
> be 20 miles+ with a very deceptive climb right up to the front door.
>
> That's my main concern with the 3 speed hub and it's why I'm thinking
> about the Rohloff. On the other hand, I'm used to derailleurs on my
> upright bikes, so there'd be no learning curve.

Nothing significant about learning a Rohloff, I would imagine. I have a dual
drive on my trike and it's a pleasure to use.
I'd work our the gear inch range if I were you and make sure it would be
such to allow you to make your climbs in relative ease.

The Path is designed to be upgraded and utal sells optioned up versions.