How is Bicycle Chain Measured?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by tbl, Jan 5, 2006.

  1. tbl

    tbl Guest

    How is bicycle chain measured?

    What is the difference between 8-speed chain and
    [other]-speed chain?

    Who is the custodian of the standard (if there is one)?

    Thanks,

    Tags:

  2. JeffWills

    JeffWills Guest

    tbl wrote:
    > How is bicycle chain measured?
    >
    > What is the difference between 8-speed chain and
    > [other]-speed chain?
    >
    > Who is the custodian of the standard (if there is one)?
    >
    > Thanks,

    Sheldon Brown knows all, sees all, tells all:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/speeds.html#chains

    Spend some time at his Harris Cyclery site. It's fun and educational!

    Jeff

  3. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    says...

    >How is bicycle chain measured?

    You can use a ruler or tape measure to measure the length. You can use
    calipers to measure the width.

    >What is the difference between 8-speed chain and
    >[other]-speed chain?

    The difference is the width of the chain.

    >Who is the custodian of the standard (if there is one)?

    Each drivetrain manufacturer comes up with their own standard. For a given
    speed, most of them end up with pretty much the same chain width.
    --------------
    Alex

  4. BigBen

    BigBen Guest

    On Fri, 06 Jan 2006 02:14:18 GMT, tbl <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How is bicycle chain measured?

    If you mean chain wear, using one of these
    http://www.parktool.com/products/detail.asp?cat=5&item=CC-3 is my
    prefered method.

    Without one of the above tools, with a vernier/slide gauge/caliper,
    using the part to take inside measurements, when you can have those
    measuring 133 mm between a certain number of links, it's time to
    replace your chain. An alternative, probably better, explanation of
    this method can be found here
    http://www.campagnolo.com/qea_search.php?gid=9&cid=6&key=comp , under
    "When do I have to replace the chain

    Regards,
    JBR

  5. tbl

    tbl Guest

    On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 13:47:56 -0500, Alex Rodriguez
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >In article <[email protected]>, [email protected]
    >says...
    >>

    >>How is bicycle chain measured?

    >You can use a ruler or tape measure to measure the length.

    Outer-edge of links? Rivet-hole center to rivet-hole
    center?

    > You can use calipers to measure the width.

    Over the rivet-heads? Over the outer-links?

    >>What is the difference between 8-speed chain and
    >>[other]-speed chain?

    >The difference is the width of the chain.
    >
    >>Who is the custodian of the standard (if there is one)?

    >Each drivetrain manufacturer comes up with their own standard. For a given
    >speed, most of them end up with pretty much the same chain width.

    So I can find a chain that will pretty much fit the rest of
    the pretty much equipment.

    I think I'll just walk.
    --
    Thanks,