How is Horseradish made?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Ferrante, Dec 19, 2003.

  1. Ferrante

    Ferrante Guest

    Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?

    Thanks, Mark Ferrante

    Tags:

  2. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    >
    > Thanks, Mark Ferrante

    Fresh Horseradish

    1/2 lb. horseradish root, scrubbed and peeled
    2/2 c. white vinegar 2 tsp. salt

    Remove any discolored parts from root with a vegetable peeler, then cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop very
    fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or by
    churning, all at once, in 4 to 5 second intervals in a food processor fitted with the metal chopping
    blade or put through twice in the meat grinder with the fine blade. Mix with vinegar and salt. Pack
    into sterilized jars; cover tightly and let ripen in refrigerator 1 week before using.

    Dimitri

  3. Penmart01

    Penmart01 Guest

    FERRANTE writes:

    >Is it simple to make?

    Horseradish is not something one makes, it's something one grows.

    One makes "Prepared Horseradish"... simply grate and mix with some vinegar and salt to
    retard spoilage.

    If so, anyone have a recipe? Add prepared horseradish to a bloody mary or a ceasar.

    Lotsa recipes and more: http://www.horseradish.org

  4. Steve Wertz

    Steve Wertz Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 16:37:32 -0500, FERRANTE
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?

    Horseradish is grown, not made.

    -sw

  5. "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Chop very fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high
    >speed... Mix with vinegar and salt.

    Perform these steps in a room with very good ventilation, or wear a breathing mask that covers your
    eyes and filters fumes. Think: tear gas.

    My mail address is jsachs177 at earthlink dot net.

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Fresh Horseradish
    >

    > 1/2 lb. horseradish root, scrubbed and peeled
    > 1/2 c. white vinegar 2 tsp. salt
    >
    > Remove any discolored parts from root with a vegetable peeler, then cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop
    > very fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or
    > by churning, all at once, in 4 to 5 second intervals in a food processor fitted with the metal
    > chopping blade or put through twice in the meat grinder with the fine blade. Mix with vinegar and
    > salt. Pack into sterilized jars; cover tightly and let ripen in refrigerator 1 week before using.

    A note: the longer you delay adding vinegar (up to a point), the hotter the resultant product.

    --
    to respond, change "spamless.invalid" with "optonline.net" please mail OT responses only

  7. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Mark Ferrante
    >
    > Fresh Horseradish
    >

    > 1/2 lb. horseradish root, scrubbed and peeled
    > 1/2 c. white vinegar 2 tsp. salt
    >
    > Remove any discolored parts from root with a vegetable peeler, then cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop
    > very fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or
    > by churning, all at once, in 4 to 5 second intervals in a food processor fitted with the metal
    > chopping blade or put through twice in the meat grinder with the fine blade. Mix with vinegar and
    > salt. Pack into sterilized jars; cover tightly and let ripen in refrigerator 1 week before using.
    >
    > Dimitri

    potent stuff avoid the fumes...use a fan or make outside. Just putting your face over the food
    processor will cause tears.

    --
    And the beet goes on! (or under) -me just a while ago

  8. Ken Davey

    Ken Davey Guest

    Dimitri wrote:
    > "FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Mark Ferrante
    >
    > Fresh Horseradish
    >

    > 1/2 lb. horseradish root, scrubbed and peeled
    > 1/2 c. white vinegar 2 tsp. salt
    >
    > Remove any discolored parts from root with a vegetable peeler, then cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop
    > very fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or
    > by churning, all at once, in 4 to 5 second intervals in a food processor fitted with the metal
    > chopping blade or put through twice in the meat grinder with the fine blade. Mix with vinegar and
    > salt. Pack into sterilized jars; cover tightly and let ripen in refrigerator 1 week before using.
    >
    > Dimitri
    Just a suggestion based on how I do it - Chop into half inch cubes - amount doesn't matter. Place in
    blender (moderate speed) and slowly add vinegar while machine is running. Add just enough to allow
    the blender to do its thing. You will know when the point of adequate vineger has been reached. Salt
    is optional. Keep in fridge after processing. It will retain the heat and flavor for about six
    weeks. Regards. Ken.

  9. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    FERRANTE wrote:

    > Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    >
    > Thanks, Mark Ferrante

    By planting a few roots and letting it grow ;)

    This is from an old post, and I found it to be the best instructions. The name at the bottom is the
    author's name, not mine.

    <begin paste> Horseradish roots Vinegar Kosher salt

    Every Spring, for the Easter/Passover season, I make gallons of prepared horseradish for my family
    and friends. My horseradish has a reputation for being the strongest kickass root available.
    Anyone, though, can make root that can stand up to mine...if you use my instructions. <g>

    Selecting the root: Bring a small knife with you to the supermarket. Pick up every root you're
    considering buying and give it a squeeze. If it's limp, feels fleshy or flaccid, or wrinkled,
    forget it. Select only fresh roots that feel rather heavy for their size and are as hard as wood.
    Use the knife to pare off a thin bit of the root and pop it in your mouth. Bite down on it. If it
    makes your lip and tongue go numb and tingly, it's good. Don't buy it if it's weak, or if it
    leaves a bitter quinine aftertaste (the bitterness will be magnified by grinding.)

    Preparation: Set up a table in front of a window. Open up the window and set up a fan to blow air
    OUT the window. Horseradish fumes are crippling and you will NOT be able to do this without
    pulling the fumes out the window. By exhausting air out rather than blowing in, you can even do
    this on a chilly night when you might otherwise not want a window open.

    On the window table put your food processor. If you can run your processor with both the
    shredding blade in the top and the puree knives in the bottom, great. Set it up that way. If not,
    you'll have two steps (grating and pureeing) instead of one. Next to the processor, still in
    front of the window, put a large bowl. That's where the ground root will go. Close at hand (maybe
    on the kitchen table) put the jars where the root will be packed, a large bottle of vinegar, and
    your salt.

    Step 1: Wash and peel. Put all the roots into the sink and start running a thin stream of cold
    water. Get them all wet and let them sit a few minutes to soften the dirt on them. With a stiff
    bristle brush, give them a good scrubbing under the stream of water. When they're clean, use a
    veggie peeler to pare off the brown skin and green tops (if they have green tops. You can cut the
    top inch off the root, leaving the greens alone, if you like, and plant them in your backyard if
    you want to grow your own.) Do the peeling under the running water, also. Keeping the water
    drizzling over the root while you peel carries off some of the volatile chemical, saving your life
    while you work in the sink. <g>

    Step 2: Grate and Grind. Bring the peeled roots over to the window table and turn the fan and your
    food processor on. Feed them down the chute to the grating wheel. The top wheel will grate the
    root, and the bottom knives will do the fine chopping (if you can't run both knives in your
    machine at once, you will have to grate each bowl full of root, then put the chopping knife in to
    finish separately.) As the root gets finer and finer, it will begin sticking to the sides and
    bottom of the bowl. Slowly, and with the processor still running, pour in vinegar to get a thick
    but not sticky consistency. Continue to whirl in the bottom knives for several minutes, until the
    root bits are very very fine. Stop the processor and dump the processor bowl into the large bowl.
    Repeat these steps until all the roots are grated, ground, and in the large bowl. Remember to keep
    the fan on all this time! When all the roots have been processed, rinse the processor knives and
    bowl with cold running water. Wash them as necessary. Put the processor away or aside. You'll need
    the space on the table in front of the fan to pack the jars.

    Step 3: Seasoning. You've still got that fan running, right? Leave the bowl in front of the fan.
    The grated root in the bowl should not be too dry. Stir in enough vinegar to give a smooth
    consistency. Taste a little bit of the puree (be careful! This is likely to be the strongest
    horseradish you've ever tasted.) If you think it needs salt, add some Kosher salt or canning salt.
    I usually add about half a teaspoon per quart.

    Step 4: Packing. Use a ladle and a canning funnel to fill pint jars with the prepared horseradish.
    Fill the jars up, cap them off, and put them in the fridge. Do not process the jars. Keep them
    refrigerated. You may turn off the fan after all the jars are full and after all implements have
    been rinsed. The horseradish will maintain full potency for a couple of weeks (I make mine no more
    than a week or so before Easter) but will still be pretty damn strong for a month or two. Use it
    before it turns brown.

    Cleaning up: Most of your tools (the bowls, ladle, etc) will require little more than a good rinse
    with cold water first (to neutralize and dilute any horseradish fumes) then hot water, since you
    aren't cutting any greasy fat.

    That's it; that's how to make horseradish.

    Dave Sacerdote

  10. "kalanamak" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > FERRANTE wrote:
    > >
    > > Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    > >
    > > Thanks, Mark Ferrante
    >
    > By planting a few roots and letting it grow ;)
    >
    > This is from an old post, and I found it to be the best instructions. The name at the bottom is
    > the author's name, not mine.

    I take it you have done this before. I remember my mother making it and I would never have the
    courage to attempt it!

    Charlie

  11. Blake Murphy

    Blake Murphy Guest

    On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:40:42 GMT, "Dimitri" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"FERRANTE" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Is it simple to make? If so, anyone have a recipe?
    >>
    >> Thanks, Mark Ferrante
    >
    >Fresh Horseradish
    >

    >1/2 lb. horseradish root, scrubbed and peeled
    >1/2 c. white vinegar 2 tsp. salt
    >
    >Remove any discolored parts from root with a vegetable peeler, then cut into 1 inch cubes. Chop
    >very fine by buzzing, a little at a time, about 30 seconds in an electric blender at high speed or
    >by churning, all at once, in 4 to 5 second intervals in a food processor fitted with the metal
    >chopping blade or put through twice in the meat grinder with the fine blade. Mix with vinegar and
    >salt. Pack into sterilized jars; cover tightly and let ripen in refrigerator 1 week before using.
    >
    >Dimitri

    no beets?

    your pal, blake