How Is Indexing Attained?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Etaoin Shrdlu, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. How is indexing in the rear attained? The front I don't care about. Is it the combination of

    - shifter & derailleur
    - shifter & cluster (freewheel / cassette)
    - derailleur & cluster
    - shifter, derailleur, & cluster
    - none of the above
    - occurs only during a syzygy of three or more planets

    I'm rehabbing a couple of bikes & wondering about how best to put components from different
    manufacturers together (mainly SunTour & Shimano)

    Thanks!

    Phil

    Tags:

  2. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    "etaoin shrdlu" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > How is indexing in the rear attained? The front I don't care about. Is it the combination of
    >
    > - shifter & derailleur
    > - shifter & cluster (freewheel / cassette)
    > - derailleur & cluster
    > - shifter, derailleur, & cluster
    > - none of the above
    > - occurs only during a syzygy of three or more planets
    >
    > I'm rehabbing a couple of bikes & wondering about how best to put components from different
    > manufacturers together (mainly SunTour & Shimano)

    SunTour's AccuShift indexing system has more space between the cogs on the high end of the range
    than at the low end. The rear derailleur could probably me made to work in another system but that
    small spacing detail keeps SunTour shifters and freewheels/cassettes from being very useful in
    other systems.

    Occasionally someone will post that his mixed system shifts but that is probably due to the floating
    top pulley or something that covers for the wider spacing at one end. It can't be perfect and is
    often not fully functional.

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:55:04 GMT, etaoin shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How is indexing in the rear attained? The front I don't care about. Is it the combination of
    >
    >- shifter & derailleur
    >- shifter & cluster (freewheel / cassette)
    >- derailleur & cluster
    >- shifter, derailleur, & cluster
    >- none of the above
    >- occurs only during a syzygy of three or more planets
    >
    >I'm rehabbing a couple of bikes & wondering about how best to put components from different
    >manufacturers together (mainly SunTour & Shimano)
    >
    >Thanks!
    >
    >Phil

    The shifter will move the cable a precise distance.

    The cable will move the derailleur pulleys a precise distance in or out based on the geometry and
    leverage structured of the derailleur.

    The derailleur pulleys will move the chain a precise distance onto the cogs which are precisely
    spaced to match the travel of the pulleys as moved by the derailleur as moved by the cable as moved
    by the shifter.

    Matching Suntour and Shimano shifting is not certain. Sometimes it will work, sometimes it won't.
    Suntour used 'overshifting' in moving the chain to larger cogs, pulling the derailleur a touch
    inside and then letting it drop back to the proper alignment.

    Hopefully others will have more concrete information. I have some Suntour shifters that I don't want
    to let go of, but the freewheels are on their last legs.

  4. On Mon, 23 Jun 2003 04:55:04 GMT, etaoin shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How is indexing in the rear attained?

    The shifter does all the indexing.

    The der, cluster, chain, etc... are all capable of operating as a non-indexed or indexed system.

    Barry

  5. John Carrier

    John Carrier Guest

    > - shifter, derailleur, & cluster

    occasionally requiring

    > - occurs only during a syzygy of three or more planets

    The shifter provides repeatable increments of cable pull. The derailleur reacts predictably to each
    increment. The cluster has the proper spacing for the derailleur's movement (having properly shaped
    teeth helps alot). In the rather old tome "Upgrading Your Bicycle," Frank Berto (long lost Bicycling
    contributor) did a pretty nice analysis of the how all the parts fit together.

    It's usually possible to mix clusters that are spaced similarly (current Shimano and Campy 9sp),
    some that may be less obvious (Campy 8 and Shimano 7 ... careful with the limit screws). Shifters
    and derailleurs are trickier ... a planetary conjunction might be necessary.

    If you're rehabbing an older bike with Japanese components, I'd stick to Shimano for the shifter,
    derailleur and freewheel.

    R / John

  6. etaoin shrdlu <[email protected]> wrote:
    >How is indexing in the rear attained?

    The indexing positions are a property of the shifter. The ratio between cable pull and lateral
    movement is a property of the derailleur. The necessary lateral movement is a property of the
    sprockets.