How is the Giro Ionos helmet different to the Atmos?

Bigbananabike said:
Any ideas?
I dunno, but I got one as a gift but it's still in the box and I don't think that I'll ever give up my Specialized lid.

Wanna buy it? :D

swampy1970 said:
I dunno, but I got one as a gift but it's still in the box and I don't think that I'll ever give up my Specialized lid.

Wanna buy it? :D
You can send it to me, i promise i'll send the money when i get it.

This is pulled from bike helmets direct
http://www.bikehelmetsdirect.com/Giro_Ionos_Bike_Helmet.html

"What makes the Ionos so desirable? It boils down to a few key points: One is its weight. Giro makes liberal use of new lightweight composite materials to make the Ionos nearly 10% lighter than the vaunted Atmos. And then there's its ventilation. You get 21 huge vents -- in fact Giro states that they designed the structure of the Ionos around the vents, specifically to maximize head coolness. Giro calls it "Wind Tunnel Technology", and their testing indicates that you get 15% more airflow over your head in comparison to the Atmos."

Here's a review that sites the main differences, being enhanced ventilation.
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/default.asp?pg=fullstory&id=5039

I have the Atmos, it looks sharp with colors the match my bike. I mostly bought it to match my bike because my Bell Solar is blue and doesn't go well with my black and white bike. Having said that the Bell Solar is only 24g heavier and seems to fit nicer and cost 160 dollars less :eek:

alienator said:
So, where exactly is the proof or hint at "gimmick" in the article?

I didn't read anything like that, excuse me. I meant that being that the Ionos was stated as better than the Atmos model. Just my opinion but I figure there both about the same in terms of performance. At the time when I bought my Atmos I was so caught up in the whole getting a new bike experience I just accepted the big price tag and paid it. I suppose what I meant as well was that a modestly heavier helmet that fits just as well can be had for a quarter of the cost but they way the companies market there high end models one is led to believe there worth all that and then some. who knows not I. ;)

They're only a gimmick if you are Superman and fear not your safety. Even he needs a helmet everynow and then.

Cheers.
Having just got one and it coming on for winter - more airflow is just what I don't need ! It comes with a winter insulated liner which is ok but doesn't fit as well as the lycra skull cap I use at this time of year. :)

coneofsilence said:
This is pulled from bike helmets direct
http://www.bikehelmetsdirect.com/Giro_Ionos_Bike_Helmet.html

"What makes the Ionos so desirable? It boils down to a few key points: One is its weight. Giro makes liberal use of new lightweight composite materials to make the Ionos nearly 10% lighter than the vaunted Atmos. And then there's its ventilation. You get 21 huge vents -- in fact Giro states that they designed the structure of the Ionos around the vents, specifically to maximize head coolness. Giro calls it "Wind Tunnel Technology", and their testing indicates that you get 15% more airflow over your head in comparison to the Atmos."

I just read the PEZ test. For an average club rider like me there probably is little difference to an Atmos or my Pneumo.

I bought the Ionos on special for $153 NZ. A really good buy but cheap (normally $193 - next cheapest price here) because its small size and a woman's colour (crystal blue & white - Will anybody laugh at me for having a woman's helmet on?!:eek: ).
I needed to replace my Pneumo which was damaged(but saved my head) when a driver sideswiped me (they had sunstrike and clipped my handlebar) and ruined it and other stuff(including damaging parts of me!:eek: ).
The driver is thankfully paying for replacement stuff and I didn't want them to have to pay the max.
My Pneumo was all I wanted in a helmet but the padding was pretty worn partly as I'd bought it secondhand too and so it is nice to replace it:)