How light is your bike? Poll!

DVNDSN

Jun 4, 2011
If you have multiple bikes, do an average, pick one, or select multiple answers. I just want to see how I stack up against the cyclingforums community. I have a 2010 Trek 1.5 Triple @ 20 lbs.

My bike is 15.5 but with tools etc. it come in at 17 lbs.

Training bike: Raleigh Prestige with adjustable powercranks, behind saddle bottle holders, bag with tools/spare tubes/kitchen sink - 25.5lb

Weight = ultimate theft deterant. They can't pedal the powercranks in sneakers and they can't run fast with the leadweight behemoth ;)

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

...Weight = ultimate theft deterant. They can't pedal the powercranks in sneakers and they can't run fast with the leadweight behemoth ;)
There's an old saying that ALL bikes weigh 30 pounds...

Either you ride a 30 pound tank and nobody's gonna steal it or you ride an expensive 15 pound bike and a 15 pound lock....

But to answer the question:

Cyclocross bike: 20 pounds with race tubulars
Rain bike: 21 pounds (raced this for two decades, still fun and fast and with fenders removed it's my rainy crit bike)
TT bike: 18 pounds with race wheels including disc
Race bike: 16 pounds with race wheels

-Dave

Reactions: mdrnphil and steve
the Cinelli pictured in my icon comes in dead even at 18lbs - aluminum frame, aluminum steerer, alloy wheels and all.

A solid Cat4, crash-ready, flat-road steed./img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

CAAD 9 "Light Weight"

Synapse Carbon "Welter Weight"

Trail SL29er 4 "Heavy Weight"

Marin Stelvio stock: 19 pounds
Proctor-Townsend steel TT bike: 23 pounds
I'm assuming my 68 pound DH bike doesn't count :D

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

If you have multiple bikes, do an average, pick one, or select multiple answers. I just want to see how I stack up against the cyclingforums community. I have a 2010 Trek 1.5 Triple @ 20 lbs.
2003 Raliegh Competition, about 18 Lbs, with me and my gear on board, a little over 200 Lbs. Your Trek is about average.

I would add that 159 pound motor on my bike is probably the cheapest and most worn component.

Reactions: SierraSlim
Originally Posted by MMMhills .

11 lbs 14 oz and yes it makes me faster!!! Wanna pick it up/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Jeez that's puurdy /img/vbsmilies/smilies/drool.gif

11 lbs 14 oz and yes it makes me faster!!! Wanna pick it up/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Is it really 11lbs and change "as shown"?

With a bike that light you shouldn't be limiting yourself at the MMM and it's mere 10,000ft of climbing... You should be heading out to Northern Cali this weekend for the Alta Alpina Challenge and it's 21,000ft of climbing.

Me and the boat anchor training bike will be up there having some fun...
... while my Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod (15.9lb) with its "too long" Hollowgram cranks sits collecting dust at home.

Did manage to shave almost 4.5lbs off the training bike with a $69 purchase of a SRAM compact chainset with 165mm cranks off ebay.

Reactions: jarodwinn
Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

Is it really 11lbs and change "as shown"?

With a bike that light you shouldn't be limiting yourself at the MMM and it's mere 10,000ft of climbing... You should be heading out to Northern Cali this weekend for the Alta Alpina Challenge and it's 21,000ft of climbing.

Me and the boat anchor training bike will be up there having some fun...
... while my Cannondale SuperSix Hi-Mod (15.9lb) with its "too long" Hollowgram cranks sits collecting dust at home.

Did manage to shave almost 4.5lbs off the training bike with a $69 purchase of a SRAM compact chainset with 165mm cranks off ebay.
Yes it weighs less than 12 lbs as shown. When I mount my Garmin it goes over 12 lbs.

I would love to hit Cali and will sometime in the next few years. until then I will have to settle with my mere 10,000 feet /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

I have never weighed my 1980s Allez SE before, but it weighs a lot less since I put a full Ultegra 6700 groupo and Mavic Open Pros on. My bike lost 10 more pounds in the last month as I am still trimming off the fat (down to 189 from 365).

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

I have never weighed my 1980s Allez SE before, but it weighs a lot less since I put a full Ultegra 6700 groupo and Mavic Open Pros on. My bike lost 10 more pounds in the last month as I am still trimming off the fat [COLOR= #ff0000](down to 189 from 365).[/COLOR]

Now that a weight loss that will make a difference. Congratulations !!!

Now that a weight loss that will make a difference. Congratulations !!!

Thanks!

Yes...and it feels so right to be back on a road bike after nearly 2 decades of being large!

Originally Posted by 67Rally .

Thanks!

Yes...and it feels so right to be back on a road bike after nearly 2 decades of being large!
Hey 67Rally,

Man, that's an awesome feat and you should certainly celebrate being back in the 100's again! If you don't mind, how long did it take you to get fit? Let's just say that I'm a bit off my former race weight... I've decided that it's silly to worry over the gram weight difference between tires, especially when I have excess pounds to shed! Anyway, congrats again on your grand success, it inspired me to push myself today and stay up with a group riders about half my age (and maybe weight too) and proudly I managed to hang in there and keep up. Not too bad for ex-racer who's just a bit fluffy (as my daughter calls it)!!! Thanks!

1989 Schwinn 974 ("Klein"/PDG)
Stock with Ultegra 7 speed - 20 pounds
(Now) 8 speed Dura Ace STI "brifters", threadless stem, 3T ergo bars, and custom built Dura Ace hub/Mavic CXP21 wheels - 17.4 pounds

The bike is still a rocket and I love it!!!

-D-

That is really good Rally! I have never had to lose weight because of my metabolism, but I know that it is a hard task to accomplish and takes a disciplined person to tackle it. So many people do it, but I think they don't give themselves enough credit. It is extremely hard to lose weight. I work at a gym, and I don't see the regulars' bodies looking trimmer for about 5 months or so.