How light is your bike? Poll!

neopop71,

My principle goal was not weight-loss but to change my life from a sedentary blob, wracked with extreme back pain to someone who is fit, eats right on a daily basis and has the chronic pain under control. Medication was to be avoided at almost all cost.

I finished 5+months of physical therapy in effort to correct my compressed disk space and bulging disks in my lumbar region - and it was a success. My back problems originate from an active-duty injury sustained in 1985 and re-injured in 1986.After getting out of the military, I blew out my shoulder requiring a rotator cuff repair. 12 months of physical therapy, transition to a change of activity and my metabolism slowing as I entered my 30s made for a recipe for weight gain. I went from 175-180 pound to well above 300. When I got the go ahead (from my spine-doc) to begin regular exercise, I topped the scale at 365 (I know that I had been losing during the course of therapy). I climbed aboard my bike for the first time at the end of April 2010 and haven't looked back.

I am now hovering around 185 and I am still slimming. I feel incredible - better than I did during my last 5 years in the navy - and it is fantastic! I love to ride...I live to ride!

Keep up your rides...keep pushing yourself no matter what. Don't let up!!!

Btw, during one of my group rides, I was with some guys well into their late 50s and they were killing me. I was keeping with their 22mph-pace and pushed into a 23-24 for quite some time. They then turned it on and left me flat! I was flabbergasted. They were in outstanding shape and gave me hope for me when I get to that age. We are never too old to get into shape and to do so, aggressively (I am 45).
Originally Posted by neopop71 .

Hey 67Rally,

Man, that's an awesome feat and you should certainly celebrate being back in the 100's again! If you don't mind, how long did it take you to get fit? Let's just say that I'm a bit off my former race weight... I've decided that it's silly to worry over the gram weight difference between tires, especially when I have excess pounds to shed! Anyway, congrats again on your grand success, it inspired me to push myself today and stay up with a group riders about half my age (and maybe weight too) and proudly I managed to hang in there and keep up. Not too bad for ex-racer who's just a bit fluffy (as my daughter calls it)!!! Thanks!

1989 Schwinn 974 ("Klein"/PDG)
Stock with Ultegra 7 speed - 20 pounds
(Now) 8 speed Dura Ace STI "brifters", threadless stem, 3T ergo bars, and custom built Dura Ace hub/Mavic CXP21 wheels - 17.4 pounds

The bike is still a rocket and I love it!!!

-D-

People are different so the visual results aren't always noticeable to others in the same timing. No one noticed my weight-loss until I had dropped 80 pounds.Those people spending 5 months in the gym feel incredible, I can assure you.

Originally Posted by DVNDSN .

That is really good Rally! I have never had to lose weight because of my metabolism, but I know that it is a hard task to accomplish and takes a disciplined person to tackle it. So many people do it, but I think they don't give themselves enough credit. It is extremely hard to lose weight. I work at a gym, and I don't see the regulars' bodies looking trimmer for about 5 months or so.

I posted based upon my 2008 full CF Motobecane IF.
Now..the 91 Paramount PDG comes in at 23.1 pounds
The Tom Kellog Built Columbus framed and forked 1980 Ross Signature with the super champion competition medaille d or tubulars comes in at a 19.6

I'm not sure how accurate my bathroom scale is, but it appears my aluminum-framed Bianchi Via Nirone is approx 22 pounds for a 57cm frame, with Mavic Aksium wheelset.

I love this bike, but will be looking for something a bit lighter to add to my collection.

Whats just under 8kgs in lbs? im guessing about 16 or so. Also put the poll answers in numerical order, f,ing annoying.

My brompton folding bike 25 lbs.
Dahon speed pro TT 27 speed folding bike 21 lbs.
Cannondale CAAD 9 -1 16.40 lbs.
Cannondale EVO Dura Ace 14 lbs.
Next Bike.......who know.

All I have is lugged steel road bikes with no carbon fiber anywhere, and my lightest is 20.3, my heaviest is 25.8, and I have 5 other road bikes in between those weights.

I currently ride a 30-lb beast of a home-built hybrid. Started with a Giant Yukon chro-mo frame and fork a built a bruiser of a pleasure/fitness/touring bike. A real road bike is in my future but I'm pretty happy with this bike for now.

I just ordered myself a new Cannondale Evo with Sram Red groupo and Zipp 202 tubular wheels. With a 50cm frame, it should tip the scale well under 13 lbs. Now I need to get my weight down to a more reasonable 135 lbs (I'm 5'-8") and I'll be climbing even faster. Got no choice as younger guys are starting to catch me up on the short, steep hills. To me, anything above 15 lbs doesn't belong on the road!

Originally Posted by Cannondale evo .

Cannondale evo ultimate 10.89 lbs if you wanna to spend $11000.

1000.00 per pound. I am waiting for them to produce a 3LB bike for the same price/Lb.

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi All, isn't the legal min race weight 14.74lbs (6.7kg) :)
Close, it's 14.999. But a lot of people don't race in UCI sanctioned races so it doesn't apply. Not sure why with modern bicycle technology UCI hasn't lowered that limit, I would think with the onslaught of CF bikes they should have lowered that to 13.999 by now. I've heard some say they haven't lowered it due to safety concerns, and others say it allows the poorer race teams more of an ability to race on the pro circuits. I don't know.

58cm 2011 Cannondale Synapse 5 alloy.....Have no idea what it wieghs...I am 210lbs..... I don't care what the bike weighs

My old bikes...57cm .2004 LeMond Tourmalet Triple....didn't know....didn't care

2003 59cm Raleigh Grand Sport....didn't know....didn't care.

Well my, "half bike", ie: single is 26 lbs, now my tandem is 43 lbs, neither what you call lite but I'm happy with them! :)

1. 2012 Jamis Coda Sport
2. 2011 Trek T-900 Tandem