How light is your bike? Poll!

rxter said:
Where does this stuff come from??? Can an admin delete that or ?
Click the red flag in the bottom left-hand corner to report posts as spam or whatever else offends.

last bike was a trek elance 310 i guess mid 80s 30lbs /just purchased a 2006 trek pilot 2.1 20lbs now if i could just loose 30 or 40 lbs myself i believe things would be great

Originally Posted by rxter .

Where does this stuff come from??? Can an admin delete that or ?

Hi rxter. I assume that you are referring to the crass remark posted in some kind of unintelligent reply to the question that I asked of Cannondale evo. Well, I just treated it with a more intelligent response,I kept Shtum. Thank you for your observation & your comment in support of no response is better than an inane one.

Originally Posted by dongringo .

My bike was built and weighed by the builder. I only had to add pedals when it arrived at my doorstep just a couple days ago. I don't know what the pedals weigh off hand, but when I find out I'll be happy to add them to the overall weight if it will make you happy. So enough already!
Hi dongringo, yes, I agree with you. Actually good pedals weigh much less than 300gms, hey Don :)

Alienator, leave dongringo alone and please don't also try to destroy this forum with your not so humourous remarks ... thanks :-(

KLabs said:
Hi dongringo, yes, I agree with you.  Actually good pedals weigh much less than 300gms, hey Don  :)

Alienator, leave dongringo alone and please don't also try to destroy this forum with your not so humourous remarks ... thanks  :-(

Destroy the forum? Really? I don't need another mom, so if you've got a dark place handy, you might want to stuff something there. I said nothing offensive, degrading, or whatever. It does seem that you assume quite a lot about posts, and your assumptions are seemingly wrong a lot of the time.

No not at all. I am never offended on a forum. Emotion is typically projected from the reader to the screen. Besides I have a pretty thick skin. Anyway, no I saw some wacky post that looked like an ad for a Handy Cam. Had nothing to do with this thread. It's gone so I guess an admin saw it.

rxter said:
No not at all. I am never offended on a forum. Emotion is typically projected from the reader to the screen. Besides I have a pretty thick skin. Anyway, no I saw some wacky post that looked like an ad for a Handy Cam. Had nothing to do with this thread. It's gone so I guess an admin saw it.
I was hip to what you were talking about. It was spam.

Originally Posted by alienator .

Destroy the forum? Really? I don't need another mom, so if you've got a dark place handy, you might want to stuff something there. I said nothing offensive, degrading, or whatever. It does seem that you assume quite a lot about posts, and your assumptions are seemingly wrong a lot of the time.

Actually, KLabs is right. You're the one assuming things, for example, why I posted the weight of my bike without pedals. Not trying to be another mom, but perhaps you should think about what you say and how you say it instead of badgering people. It's called manners.

Originally Posted by Froze .

I keep watching the poll figures, it seems most bikes weigh between 16 to 18 pounds which is what I kind of thought would be the average. The surprises were first in the weight that I would have never dreamed getting that many votes was the over 30 pound bikes
Those 30+ pound bikes could be all the touring bikes. I have the steel framed Surly Long Haul Trucker. With my racks, lights, bottle holders, pump, and everything else that is bolted/zip-tied on (maybe my underseat tool kit too, I forget if I removed it when I weighed my bike) it weighed 31 lbs. I had aluminum racks. Many people who do heavy duty off-road touring have steel racks that would probably add a few more pounds. I had 1.5" tires on 26" wheels, but if you moved up to fatty, knobby tires and wheels that would probably add another couple of pounds.

If the question was rephrased, "How heavy is your bike?" the answers might include more people with heavy bikes as they might take a perverse pride in going heavy instead of light.

Ben

www.cycling2celebrate.com

Originally Posted by dongringo .

My Kish is 15 lbs 14 oz without pedals.
Hi dongringo, nice weight and we look forward to seeing a picture of your bike (if possible, with or without pedals) ... thanks :)

Hi All, one thing that seems a little odd to me is that I would have thought that the fixed wheelers would be a little lighter, but many seem to be about 20lbs ... is this the usual weight for a fixie, nowadays? Perhaps I am incorrectly thinking of them as track bikes ... thanks :)

Originally Posted by KLabs .

Hi dongringo, nice weight and we look forward to seeing a picture of your bike (if possible, with or without pedals) ... thanks :)
Here you go! /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

http://www.cyclingforums.com/t/488936/custom-kish-road-sl

Edit: Looks like 16 lbs 7 oz with the Look Keo Classic pedals. Not the lightest pedals, but I got a good deal on them. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Koga UD team 2011- 18
Colnago CX-1, 2010- 18
Specialized S-Works Roubaix- 18.1
Koga Full Monocoque (Time Trial set up) 20.1

All weighed with saddle, wheels, tires, tubes, GPS mounts and botle holders. No seat bags or lights counted.

Weighed on Park Tool bike scale.

Originally Posted by MMMhills .

11 lbs 14 oz and yes it makes me faster!!! Wanna pick it up/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

That is very light, has it proved to be safe to ride?

Funny how people associate light bikes with danger and impending doom. I've always had the opposite experience.

A couple of weekends ago I loaded up the training bike with a bigger bag and a rack and headed for the hills. I know I should have loaded up the bike and taken a few corners at speed in the local neighborhood first, rather than bazzing down a hill I'd been down twice in the last 3 years... but that extra 10lbs or so high up on the back of the bike certainly closed the ol' sphincter at warp speed the first time I leaned it deep into a corner.

The lead-sled weighed in a 31lbs with stuff in the bag and full bottles. Apart from that one corner incident, I couldn't really tell there was that much extra weight.

I guess for a laugh I should take both bikes out to the local big hill. The fully loaded lead-sled at 30+lbs and the Cannondale Hi-Mod at half that and see what the PowerTap really has to report back...

swampy1970 said:
Funny how people associate light bikes with danger and impending doom. I've always had the opposite experience.
A couple of weekends ago I loaded up the training bike with a bigger bag and a rack and headed for the hills. I know I should have loaded up the bike and taken a few corners at speed in the local neighborhood first, rather than bazzing down a hill I'd been down twice in the last 3 years... but that extra 10lbs or so high up on the back of the bike certainly closed the ol' sphincter at warp speed the first time I leaned it deep into a corner.
The lead-sled weighed in a 31lbs with stuff in the bag and full bottles. Apart from that one corner incident, I couldn't really tell there was that much extra weight.
I guess for a laugh I should take both bikes out to the local big hill. The fully loaded lead-sled at 30+lbs and the Cannondale Hi-Mod at half that and see what the PowerTap really has to report back...
My decidedly not-light weight bike (Look 595, 14.5-ish pounds depending on the day and what's on board) is only 1600 grams away from that "Danger Will Robinson!" 11lb threshold. If I traded my frame and fork for the Cannondale Evo and accompanying fork, I'd shed at least 400 grams, and a light weight wheel set could easily shed another 300. I could switch to Super Record and save another 100-200g, and likewise I could switch out the Record cranks for Claviculas (which I've used in the past for a couple of years) and save another 150g or so. I could shed 125-150g by getting rid of my porky saddle for one that's lighter. Just with that stuff I would already be approaching that life shredding 11 pound barrier, and that's without going to stupid light parts. There's still plenty of other things--handlebars, seatpost, stem, pedals--that could be changed for parts that a lot of other folks are using every day that are lighter than what I've got. These days, it's not out of the question at all to get an 11 or 12 pound bike that is--wait.....grab your security blankets.--safe for riding every day. Imagine that.