How light is your bike? Poll!

Originally Posted by Randyforriding .

I have a Davidson. All steel. Even the fork. Mostly Ultegra and Ritchey WCS. I weighed it when I first got it and I recall it being around 21 pounds. May not sound very light, but it is a big frame. Back in the mid seventies, a mid size, pro level bike would weigh about this same amount. I'd say the weight of a steel bike has come down, but not a lot. I'd like to see how light you could make a steel bike, using the lightest tubing and lightest components. Certainly under 18. And with a carbon fork?
I bought a Davidson Impulse in '87, it was my primary race bike for many years. I still ride it and still love it but these days it's got fenders and lights slapped on it and set up for wet weather riding and bike commuting. But yes, full steel and somewhere around 21-22 pounds full up weight but still a great bike. I pulled the fenders and raced it in some crits about three seasons ago and it's still plenty fast and handles great. I love my full carbon race bike but will probably be riding the Davidson long after my carbon bike has been retired.

FWIW, I raced the Davidson full time as recently as the '08 season and it did everything I needed of it. I raced half a dozen road races, a couple of crits, a stage race or two and even slapped aero bars on it for a 40K and managed a podium spot in the state TT. I picked up my full carbon bike the following spring and though it's an awesome ride and at least five pounds lighter it hasn't changed my race placings or my ability to compete in any measurable way. I still have some good days, a lot of pack finish days and some podium finishes and wins when things go well and the bike is not the determining factor. Riding a light bike is really nice, it just feels very nimble and quick, but realistically it doesn't really change things much if at all in most races.

-Dave

Randyforriding said:
I'd like to see how light you could make a steel bike, using the lightest tubing and lightest components. Certainly under 18. And with a carbon fork?
Far under 18lbs. Check out Rob English and what he does with the steel bikes he makes. The Paramount OS that I had was 17.5lbs without really trying to minimize weight.

Originally Posted by Randyforriding .

I have a Davidson. All steel. Even the fork. Mostly Ultegra and Ritchey WCS. I weighed it when I first got it and I recall it being around 21 pounds. May not sound very light, but it is a big frame. Back in the mid seventies, a mid size, pro level bike would weigh about this same amount. I'd say the weight of a steel bike has come down, but not a lot. I'd like to see how light you could make a steel bike, using the lightest tubing and lightest components. Certainly under 18. And with a carbon fork?

Rodriguez Outlaw built w/True Temper S3.

As pictured 14.5lbs. With Campy SR 14.01lbs... including paint.

Personally I would like something with ever so slightly thicker walls. Bikes fall over at some point no matter how well we think we've propped them up. .

One of my Evo is weighted at 12.44 lbs after recently upgrade the AX1000 saddle and Tune U20 quick release also new wheelsets(982g) replaced my Easton EC90 SLX.

Originally Posted by hyperliterate
I'd like to know how to go about weighing my bike, stand on the scale while holding my bike off the ground and then put the bike down and subtract my weight without it?
I have a scale with a hook to hang my bike on. I would weigh my bike that way.

But it seems more reasonable to be concerned with the weight of myself and the bike rather than either.

70kg is an approximate value for me. I am a bit over weight - 4kg. The bike is a bit over weight - 2kg.

---

Your method of weighing is reasonble but not always very accurate.

Specialize Roubaix Pro with Dura Ace Componants and FSA Carbon cranks 18 lbs.

The bike just installed the SISL2 crankset. It will be 12.11 lbs. when the AX seatpost(80g) arrival. I'm still try to figure it out how to shave off another 50g to make it under 12 lbs. without spending BIG bucks. Any suggestion ?

Oh, but that helium filled carbon fiber foam water bottle cage will make all the difference, I'm sure. Also checking for street legal sources of flubber, with spotty success. It's largely an academic question at the moment. Keeping it under 1500 calories a day for now. Will "weigh in" in about 6 months.

1990s Raleigh Mtrax. 853 Reynolds. Large frame. Weighs about 19lbs with pedal, pump, bottle cages, heavyish saddle and seatpost. Tiagra components and R500 wheels.
Built it up myself from a frame I bought off e-bay for £70. I could probably bring it down even more if I wanted to spend the money.
Weight may go up if I install STIs this year but belly fat weight may come down when I ride it more.

Originally Posted by Cannondale evo
The bike will be under 12 lbs when AX Lightness saddle and 6Kcycles seatpost installed.
Nice, you might even be able to add a 2nd waterbottle cage and have her AT 12lbs ;)

I'm not worry about the drag as the bike always on the hills

climb or hill repeats training. Is the saddle make it sexier ?

Just weighed my Specialized S-Works Tarmac bike with Sram Red components and Zipp 202 wheels at 14.12 lbs.

John Kjos