how long after acromioclavicular surgery should i ride?

orbeaonyx

Mar 11, 2007
Hi guys
I am a roadbike rider who On 9th of september I had A terrible crash and a acromioclavicular separation gade 5.Very pain full.On 12th of september I had the surgery and afterward I have improvement day by day.On 17th I started training on the stationary bike for 30 -50 min.daily.Also on 19th I started the physio therapy and I see that enchance my movement.
The doc recommends cycling 4 weeks after surgery but I am thinking to try outdoors this weekend if I can.Has anybody similar experience?

Others may have had similar experiences, but with the exception of orthopedic surgeons on the forum, no one is going to be qualified to tell you when you should start training. Any orthos on the forum will be able to give you general guidelines, but responsible doctors wouldn't give you absolute answers without at least reading your medical history up to and including the surgery. You should discuss this in depth with your doctor and, if you have one, your physical therapist (who will or should work with the doctor). Tell your doctor what you would like to do, and see if said doctor can work with that. In the absolute worse case, the doc says "no" and keeps you off the bike for those 4 weeks. That's a very small sacrifice to insure that you don't screw up what was done under the knife or that you don't complicate healing. With that said, I doubt the doctor will have any issue with you pedaling on your bike, on a trainer, hands off so that no weight is borne by the affected shoulder.

Your doctor is certainly a better judge of what you should do, by several orders of magnitude, than anyone on this forum, and by several orders of magnitude I mean by x orders, where x→∞.

Listen to the doc and be honest and open with him/her. Let them know that you want to ride the bike outdoors and see what they say. Tell them that you have the means to train indoors and ask if riding indoors and putting weight on your arms for an hour at a time will be an issue. Right now it's a case of short term loss (of training) for long term gain. Unless you're being paid to ride and have contractual obligations of some kind to race then this is time to sit back and heal and make sure that you minimize properly the off the bike time.