How long and how hard??

tracto

Mar 9, 2006
Finally managed to work out my heart rate zones for each of the seven levels (havent moved to the power revolution yet unfortunately) and was just wondering what sort of sessions i should be doing with them. I am currently training for primarily a number of time trials (20km up to 45km on flat to undualating courses), first race is mid may then i'll have one every few weeks over the following couple of months.

To date i have been doing 2 long rides a week ( one 3hr and one 4hr both zone 2-3), i also do a 2 hr spin with a 45min zone upper z3 - z4 effort, and a 60min spin with 2x20 min lactate threshold efforts. I also do a 1 hr recovery spin on the turbo trainer. My p.b for the 40km is 65mins and i would love to get this down close to 62. Are the sessions i'm doing appropriate to my season goals? And are there sessions which i should (or should not) be doing at this stage? I dont mind putting more mileage in (or less for that matter ;)).

Cheers guys

tracto said:
Finally managed to work out my heart rate zones for each of the seven levels (havent moved to the power revolution yet unfortunately) and was just wondering what sort of sessions i should be doing with them. I am currently training for primarily a number of time trials (20km up to 45km on flat to undualating courses), first race is mid may then i'll have one every few weeks over the following couple of months.

To date i have been doing 2 long rides a week ( one 3hr and one 4hr both zone 2-3), i also do a 2 hr spin with a 45min zone upper z3 - z4 effort, and a 60min spin with 2x20 min lactate threshold efforts. I also do a 1 hr recovery spin on the turbo trainer. My p.b for the 40km is 65mins and i would love to get this down close to 62. Are the sessions i'm doing appropriate to my season goals? And are there sessions which i should (or should not) be doing at this stage? I dont mind putting more mileage in (or less for that matter ;)).

Cheers guys
looks good for a start - my advice - add another tempo (z3-4) day, and build duration of tempo for the two days. add time in amounts you can absorb. be sure to retest every 6-8 weeks to make sure zones are appropriate. lastly, pick 2 races you want to peak for and add zone 5 work ( i like 5-7x3min) 6-8 weeks out. vague reply, but should steer you in the right direction

- training stimulus will only be as effective as your body's ability to absorb it. (recovery)