How long are most Crits and road races?

Mike Lana

Guest
Hi everyone, I am making a transition into road racing. I am setting up my training schedules for
the year and my problem is I don't know the distances of the races. I am sure they vary a lot but
there has to be some ballpark if no-one is listing distances. I look on active.com and it just tells
me it is a crit etc.. The only ones that are listing distances are the touring group rides. So are
there any more specific web sites I can go to for better info? I live in Illinois not too far from
Chicago if that is helpfull.

Please respond to on this thread or to [email protected] Thanks Mike

"Mike Lana" <[email protected]> wrote ...
> Hi everyone, I am making a transition into road racing. I am setting up my training schedules for
> the year and my problem is I don't know the

Most beginner crits are 45 minutes at around 23 mph average. Beginner road races are about 35 - 50
miles max., average speeds over 20 mph.

Beginners receive a Category 5 racing licenses.

The top amateurs have a Cat. 1 license -- their crits and road races are generally twice as long and
4-10 mph. ave. faster.

In article <[email protected]>, Mike Lana <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi everyone, I am making a transition into road racing. I am setting up my training schedules for
> the year and my problem is I don't know the distances of the races. I am sure they vary a lot but
> there has to be some ballpark if no-one is listing distances. I look on active.com and it just
> tells me it is a crit etc.. The only ones that are listing distances are the touring group rides.
> So are there any more specific web sites I can go to for better info? I live in Illinois not too
> far from Chicago if that is helpfull.
>
> Please respond to on this thread or to [email protected] Thanks Mike

I would guess that the web sites of some of your local racing clubs probably have links to web sites
with regional racing information in your area. These sites will probably have more specific race ad
information with time and distance information for each category. If you don;t know of any racing
clubs in your area try looking up club names in the USA Cycling database on the USAC web page. or
use google to search on club names you know about in your area.

Casey