How long between replacement on Shimano Ultegra

Billx

Guest
I have a new road bike (Trek 2300) with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and chain. How many miles should I
expect on average before replacing the chain and/or cassette? My previous bike was a 6 speed Shimano
600 and it seemed the chain was ready for replacement after about 1000 miles. I'm running more gears
with the newer bike so would expect cog wear due to a stretched chain to take longer to notice.

Bill Brunning writes:

> I have a new road bike (Trek 2300) with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and chain. How many miles should
> I expect on average before replacing the chain and/or cassette? My previous bike was a 6 speed
> Shimano 600 and it seemed the chain was ready for replacement after about 1000 miles. I'm running
> more gears with the newer bike so would expect cog wear due to a stretched chain to take longer
> to notice.

Measure it.

Lay a ruler next to the chain and see how far off the inch mark the link pin 12 inches away is from
where you aligned the ruler with the first link pin. Over 1/16" (0.5% wear) is a good time to
replace the chain and definitely at 1/8" (aka 1%).

http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

> Bill Brunning writes:
>
> > I have a new road bike (Trek 2300) with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and chain. How many miles should
> > I expect on average before replacing the chain and/or cassette? My previous bike was a 6 speed
> > Shimano 600 and it seemed the chain was ready for replacement after about 1000 miles. I'm
> > running more gears with the newer bike so would expect cog wear due to a stretched chain to take
> > longer to notice.
>
> Measure it.
>
> Lay a ruler next to the chain and see how far off the inch mark the link pin 12 inches away is
> from where you aligned the ruler with the first link pin. Over 1/16" (0.5% wear) is a good time to
> replace the chain and definitely at 1/8" (aka 1%).
>
> http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

Draconian IMO! Wait till it malfunctions. I've got 1000s of miles on a chain. Haven't bought one in
years. Most people probably change them much too often. Just a waste of money.

Michael Pearlman wrote:

> > Lay a ruler next to the chain and see how far off the inch mark the link pin 12 inches away is
> > from where you aligned the ruler with the first link pin. Over 1/16" (0.5% wear) is a good time
> > to replace the chain and definitely at 1/8" (aka 1%).
>
> Draconian IMO! Wait till it malfunctions. I've got 1000s of miles on a chain. Haven't bought one
> in years. Most people probably change them much too often. Just a waste of money.

When (if) you replace that old and worn chain, you'll be replacing your chainwheels and cassete as
well. That's the price you pay for waiting too long to replace a chain.

Chains can wear out in 1000 miles, but that is faster then usual given even modest care. If the
cassette is worn too, that can run into some real money. I'm not trying to start another thread on
chain cleaning; I'm just suggesting that you might want to search this NG for ideas if the chain /
cassette wear rate you experience is too high for you.

Some of the regular, respected contributors to this NG have opined on the subject. If you're
interested, you may find the following informative: http://www.sheldonbrown.com/chains.html
http://draco.acs.uci.edu/rbfaq/FAQ/8d.2.html

Good luck, Steve Shapiro

>I have a new road bike (Trek 2300) with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and chain. How many miles should
>I expect on average before replacing the chain and/or cassette? My previous bike was a 6 speed
>Shimano 600 and it seemed the chain was ready for replacement after about 1000 miles. I'm running
>more gears with the newer bike so would expect cog wear due to a stretched chain to take longer
>to notice.

It is so easy to check a chain for wear, that there is no reason for you to guess and go by other's
experience. Riding conditions, and how clean you keep your chain, have a great influence on chain
life. Keep your chain clean and then check it for wear on a regular basis. That way you will know
for sure when it is time ot get a new chain.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

>Draconian IMO! Wait till it malfunctions.

Bad advice. A worn chain will eat through your cassette in no time. It will also eat through your
chainrings too. Cassettes and chainrings are expensive, chains are cheap. So it makes more economic
sense to check your chain for wear and replace it when it is worn. Your cassettes and chainrings
will last much longer that way.

>Most people probably change them much too often. Just a waste of money.

If they don't measure and just change a chain based on mileage, you are probably right.
-----------------
Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

On 27 May 2003 08:54:05 -0700, [email protected] (Michael Pearlman) wrote:

>Draconian IMO! Wait till it malfunctions. I've got 1000s of miles on a chain. Haven't bought one in
>years. Most people probably change them much too often. Just a waste of money.

I've just bought a new bike because I ran around for too long with the same chain. The freewheel and
chainwheels were shot, and with the other repairs, it just wasn't economical to fix any more. I
measured at 320 mm instead of 305, btw, so that is a good 5% change. You might get away with
replacing at 2%, rather than 0.5 or 1. You definitely don't get away with waiting till 5%.

Jasper

"BillX" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I have a new road bike (Trek 2300) with 9 speed Shimano Ultegra and chain. How many miles should
> I expect on average before replacing the chain and/or cassette? My previous bike was a 6 speed
> Shimano 600 and it seemed the chain was ready for replacement after about 1000 miles. I'm running
> more gears with the newer bike so would expect cog wear due to a stretched chain to take longer
> to notice.

Certainly, check the link to Sheldon Brown's website about chain wear, and replace the chain when
worn, it's much easier and cheaper to replace the chain than all the gears too, also you'll enjoy
better shifting with good gears and a new chain.

My Ultegra (9 speed) chain lasted about 2500-3000 on my road bike, I lube the chain with White
Lightening prior to most rides, and wipe it clean with a rag, and never ride in the rain. On my
mountain bike it lasts much less XT (9 speed), although I clean and lube it every time I ride in the
rain through mud and streams, typically I get a little over 500 miles per chain.

On 28 May 2003 13:25:00 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote:

>mpearl-<< Draconian IMO! Wait till it malfunctions. I've got 1000s of miles on a chain. Haven't
>bought one in years. Most people probably change them much too often. Just a waste of money.
>
>There is a point to this with less expensive cogsets....one chain and cogset rather than 3-4
>chains, then a cogset...

If you're using cogsets that cheap, I'd expect you to also be using cheaper chains, offsetting
that some.

Jasper