How long do you usually go for a ride daily?

OursIsTheFury

Apr 21, 2016
We all have our routines when it comes to cycling. Some of us do it for leisure, some to train up, while some use it as a form of exercise. How long do you usually go for a ride daily? Me about an hour, just riding through the streets near my apartment. There's only a few cars in the area, so it's a really great place to ride around in. The views are great, the fresh air is divine, and I can feel free for an hour a day leaving all my troubles behind. What about you?

My rides depends on how much time I have and energy to bike it but I usually average around 2-3 hours per ride in about 20-30 miles. It is fun to just ride around for me as it is a major stress reliever for me and helps me keep and stay in shape which is always a plus!

I've only done short rides, mostly to get to univ, but I have to say I'm tempted to do a few kilometers rides once I'm prepared and have the equipment for it, I am not sure how to go about this because I don't want to have injuries that I could avoid with good preparation, so this may take longer than expected..

Well, I don't ride my bike on a daily basis. I just ride many times (randomly) in a day. 1-2 hours is my average time and I cover around 15 miles as I ride very slow. I really enjoy the environment. ;)

During the work week Monday - Friday, Monday is my off day. Tuesday and Thursday are road bike days with 20-30mile rides. Wednesday is mountain bike day with 10-15 miles on the trails. Friday is TT bike day with a 15-25 mile ride. Saturday and Sunday are 90% road bike and are 35-50+ mile rides. The weekend's depend on if I have friends that want to ride with me, if so it could be lower mileage. Once summer comes the solo weekend rides will go up as the heat goes up.

Route of 11, 15, 25, 43, or 61 miles depending on how I feel, the weather, and available daylight. I normally ride 4 days a week with 3 days a week every fourth as rest week. Saturday is a club ride normally 50+ miles. Sunday is hit or miss riding with Mrs typically around 25 miles. I'm averaging 34 miles per ride this year (77 rides so fear).

The simple answer for me is that I will always ride for as long as possible, but unfortunately that often isn't really quite as much as I would like. I am a freelance writer and I work from home, so my schedule varies wildly. Sometimes I can go out for hours a day, and other times I struggle to find the time to ride at all (I haven't been away from my laptop yet today).

From a performance stand point, mileage is usually referred to in terms of "weekly volume". Since there are many different types of rides/workouts the mileage can/should change quite a bit day to day. Example:
100-Mile Week
Monday: OFF
Tuesday: 30mi w/ intervals
Wednesday: cross-train
Thursday: 20mi easy recovery ride
Thursday: cross-train
Friday: OFF
Saturday: cross-train
Sunday: 50mi endurance ride
*This is typical for a short course triathlete (for example)

300-Mile Week
Monday: 40mi easy recovery ride (Z1/2)
Tuesday: 40mi w/ intervals (Z2/3/4/5)
Wednesday: cross-train
Thursday: 60mi endurance w/ tempo repeats (Z2/3/4)
Friday: 40mi endurance (Z2)
Saturday: 20mi easy recovery ride (Z1/2)
Sunday: 100mi endurance ride (Z2/3)

It depends of how much disposition I have to ride. Today for example, I have a toothache, so I'm not in the mood to go outside and do some cycling.

In my enthusiastic days, when wheather is pleasant enough. I can ride the usual route during 30-40 minutes three times a week, often 20 miles each.

In the early days that we moved to this village, I used to spend 2 hours for a ride during weekends. But now that I have a lot of house chores to handle, I can only spend 30 minutes at the most. And that 30 minutes is not all riding for it includes chatting with other riders in the village park. When I am not in the mood to socialize, I roam around the village streets particularly in the secondary roads where there is no traffic so I can enjoy the sights and the fresh air.

During week days, I'll seldom ride for more than 30 minutes as I use my bike to run some quick errands. Everything is close-by, and therefore don't need to ride long distances. Besides, I don't have much time to be milling around town as I need to be back at the office. But on weekends when I have more free time available, I can spend around 3 hours on my bike in which I can enjoy the sites as I ride very casually.

If it's a normal ride, usually 1 hour, or 30 minutes it's always around that. If it's in the weekend, I'll extend it to 1hour ou 2. Depends on the weather too.

When I ride during the week after work, due to family and work commitments I'll probably get to ride for maybe an hour but at the weekends it can be a lot longer.

My long suffering partner knew I was a keen cyclist though when we first got together so when I go and disappear for an hour at nights and at the weekend she's very good about it to be honest so it doesn't impact too much in our daily lives.

When weather is favorable, I ride 3-4 days per week. I usually go out for the better part of two hours (30-35 miles) each time except for once a week I get one longer ride. Maybe 2.5-3 hours (40-50 miles).

When weather is favorable, I ride 3-4 days per week. I usually go out for the better part of two hours (30-35 miles) each time except for once a week I get one longer ride. Maybe 2.5-3 hours (40-50 miles).

It's interesting that you put down the distance that you travel, aswell as the amount of time that your actually on the bike for. If I'm going on a cycling holiday, or a weekend away, I'll obviously check the distances travelled but on a day to day basis I don't even check.

If I'm out on the bike for an hour or two, I'm out on the bike for an hour or two, and that's it. I don't even check the miles covered. Might be interesting though to see how many miles I do clock up on a normal week though.

It's interesting that you put down the distance that you travel, aswell as the amount of time that your actually on the bike for. If I'm going on a cycling holiday, or a weekend away, I'll obviously check the distances travelled but on a day to day basis I don't even check.

If I'm out on the bike for an hour or two, I'm out on the bike for an hour or two, and that's it. I don't even check the miles covered. Might be interesting though to see how many miles I do clock up on a normal week though.

If your motivation for riding is simply pleasure then I guess it doesn't matter how far you travel. My motivation in riding is cardiovascular exercise. Elevating my heart rate and working muscles is a big part of why I am out there so time, distance, speed are what I monitor. If I grab my single speed and go toodling around my neighborhood then no, I don't care about distance. But if I take my road bike out and I only cover 20 miles in two hours then I'm not doing much (unless it was mostly climbing). Covering 35-40 miles in that time period requires some effort.

Reactions: pwarbi
Your right there, and while I do cycle because of the exercise, my main reason is to just get out of the house and relax, and that's probably why the distance covered doesn't concern me.

I think where you ride makes a difference aswell though, and I live on the edge of a big country park with various mountain bike trails, and when riding them, distance isn't all that important I don't think.

Usually I ride 20-30 miles. If it's a weekend and I have nothing to do, I might ride 4-6 hours.

I can't afford to ride daily due to time restrictions but now that summer is upon us,I will have some more free time. When I do ride however, I try not to go 2 hours from my start point which would make me average 4-5 hours per ride.