how long does everyone sleep?

Discussion in 'Health Nutrition and Supplements' started by syrus_82, Jun 7, 2004.

1. syrus_82

syrus_82 New Member

just curious about how long everyone sleeps? i know that i need more sleep than normal, otherwise i just feel drained, i sleep at least 10hrs a day generally. how bout everyone else?

Tags:

2. emrin

emrin New Member

I'm sure you're the exception and envy of everyone of us. Wish I could get enough sleep but work/training and going out prohibit that. I try limit my 6 hour nights to less than 2 a week, and aim for 5 nights a week where I get 8 hours sleep (although to be honest, they usually range between 7-8).
    I love the bike, and part of me wants to go to bed before 8 every night so that I can wake up at 4 without feeling exhausted -- but I would be acting a little selfishly towards the ones I love...
    I keep trying to tell myself -- "life does not revolve around the bike" -- I think it was Indurain that said of the Tour - "It is just a bike race after all".
    Real cycling is when it has become a small but beautiful part of my life, and not just a system of numbers.
    When I get depressed about how much I want to train versus how much I can, I try remember that.
    Sorry for the thesis -- I guess I had to get that off my chest because I woke up at 4 this morning to ride in the rain, but was convinced not to go out -- been a few days without a ride and was feeling down about it (until now!)
    :)

3. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

I am one of those lucky freaks of nature. I only need about 6 hr a night sleep, and generally wake up feeling wide awake at around 5.5.

This happens even when i have done some heavy riding. Last sunday i did 130km with BikeSA and only needed about 6.5 hours sleep and woke up feeling great, hungry, but great.

:p

Most of my friends would like to kill me for this ability and my wife thinks there must be something wrong with me, especially on the weekends when I have already been to the gym or a ride well before she is even up.:D

4. Brunswick_kate

Brunswick_kate New Member

What I can survive on versus what I prefer .... I can function on 4 - 5 hr but work much better with 7 hrs sleep. Too many years of shift work for me to ever again enjoy a "night sleep" anymore.

My newest hell, being a night owl who considers 2 am a reasonable bedtime for an adult (shift work again) is my new 5:30 am rowing class...I have to leave the house early to bike to the boat house which makes for an unspeakable hour for the "rise and shine" routine. Of course, I could opt to *drive* to the boat house and save 15 mins....yeah right...

On a more serious note to those of you who do the early rising every once in a while, how to you manage to get to sleep at an earlier bedtime than what you're accustomed to? I can go to bed early all I want...I just lay there and stare at the ceiling until "sleep" time.

5. sheppard

sheppard New Member

During the week, I aim for 8 hours, but it usually turns into 7-and-something because of getting up for work and the wife. On the weekends, I aim for 9 when I don't have to get up, but those days turn into more like 10. I'm thinking this is to make up for the work week. I also think that being well hydrated has something to do with my sleep trends; I've found that the nights when I'm not hydrated enough(i can tell by the previous day's water intake and the next morning's bathroom...) I sleep longer, or at least my body wants to. The nights when I have good reason tho think that i'm hydrated, i get up earlier feeling the same level of rested-ness. I think searching for the optimal sleep pattern is a noble quest, and I wish there was more information available on it! Best of luck!

6. jcjordan

jcjordan New Member

In my past I have done alot of shift work and perment night work so I know where you are coming from.

When I was younger I did have a problem of going to sleep but i found that either reading for a bit or just lying there, eyes closed and just consentrate on my breathing. I work on getting it into a slow rythmic pace puts me out in no time.:eek:

7. Trekker2017

Trekker2017 New Member

My need for sleep is directly proportional to how much cardio exercise I get. The more I cycle the less sleep I need. When I'm on my longer road trips and in the saddle 8 to 10 hours a day, I only sleep 4 hours a night. When I'm just doing my daily 20, I sleep 6 hours. During the winter when I'm a real couch potato or spending too much time down at Senor's Poncho's sucking down a few too many Dos Eques, I sleep 8 to 10 hours regardless of working out on my stationary cycle.

8. menglish6

menglish6 New Member

I rowed for quite a few years, and all I needed to do to adjust to the new early mornings each fall was not nap for the first few days of practice. After a few days there are no issues with lying in bed awake waiting for sleep. It would be all I could do to stay up until 10:30.

9. pcs_ronbo

pcs_ronbo New Member

6 hrs/day + (2) 1.5hr naps on weekends. Rock and roll...

no naps, gotta krank it up to 7/day or I'll get sick after a few weeks.

this is assuming a reasonable level of workouts. Nothing killer. Killer will add sleep need the SECOND night after, don't know what's up with that though

10. steve007

steve007 New Member

5 - 7 hours per night. I do quite alot of napping (I can sleep anywhere!) so sometimes i go to sleep at like 4am and wake up about 10.30am.

I wish i could get into the habit of sleeping BEFORE midnight as they say 1 hour before is worth 2 hours after.

11. GERARDO

GERARDO New Member

I feel lucky if I get 6 hours of sleep........:mad:

12. GERARDO

GERARDO New Member

I just post this post because may last post was my No. 13 :eek: , so now this is my No. 14:D

13. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I went through a horrible period of not sleeping at all. It was a lousy period. I'd do grinding cycle rides, work a night-shift, go home in the morning and not be able to sleep. Over a period of 3 days I slept 4 hours. Something felt very wrong. I discovered that valerian root tea provides a solution. I drank 3 cups and slept through a night-shift at intervals. Then I went home and slept again.

14. Adam-from-SLO

Adam-from-SLO New Member

How old are you ?

This can/does have a correlation to , on average, how many hours spent snoozing zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz , :eek:

15. syrus_82

syrus_82 New Member

i have just turned 22, up until the beginning of 2002 i was sleeping around 7hrs a night, but since then it has increased to 9-10hrs, ive been to the doctors and they cant find anything abnormal in the tests that they have done

16. jitteringjr

jitteringjr New Member

4 hours a night on weekdays and 8-10 on the weekends.

After spending time on a navy submarine, I function well on only 4 hours.

17. closesupport

closesupport Banned

i know how you feel i sleep for 4hrs each night and maybe an hour or 2 in the afternoon, if i have more than 6hrs sleep i feel dreadful.

18. *Alice

*Alice New Member

i go to school full time and i work full time...

i generally get about 5-6 hours of sleep on weeknights..

and 8-10 hours on weekends.

19. LottomagicZ4941

LottomagicZ4941 New Member

My sleep is wacked from when they started to keep me over on night shift. I functioned very well on night shift for 3 years.

I sleep better on days when I work out.

Need 7 to function well but generally only getting 6 hours if I'm lucky these days.