how long does it take to learn a BC wheel

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by skroboskim, May 2, 2006.

  1. skroboskim

    skroboskim Guest

    how long does it take to learn a BC wheel?
    i learned in 5 mins...after i made the thing... i can ride down the
    driveway (starting btw cars) across the street and down the sidewalk
    across the street a little ways b4 im goin too slow
    and do yall have any tips on freemounting??

    --
    skroboskim

    *:) -stephen-:)* CCTX
    -(me to my neighbor) im the guy who wishes he was better-
    -someday i will be pro... and another day i will fly to the moon and
    get neil armstrongs autograph...since he will still be there-
    skroboskim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11663

  2. KrazyJeff

    KrazyJeff Guest

    My friend got a bc and I learned how to do it in 15 mins. It's real easy
    to go for a pretty long time. I can do jumps on it now but he's better
    than i am because he practices a lot and I can only do it when i see
    him so. I might get a bc wheel this summer, I'm still thinking about
    it.

    --
    KrazyJeff

    KrazyJeff

    'My Gallery' (http://tinyurl.com/oz42q)
    KrazyJeff's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/12132

  3. skroboskim

    skroboskim Guest

    I MADE ONE in like 10 mins by getting a bike wheel and some garage door
    fastners and just bolting them on :) it works pretty good, but the
    plates bend too easy ... and I just ground off the axle w/ a grinder so
    that it wasn't in the way

    --
    skroboskim

    *:) -stephen-:)* CCTX
    -(me to my neighbor) im the guy who wishes he was better-
    -someday i will be pro... and another day i will fly to the moon and
    get neil armstrongs autograph...since he will still be there-
    skroboskim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11663

  4. unisteez

    unisteez Guest

    skroboskim wrote:
    > I MADE ONE in like 10 mins by getting a bike wheel and some garage door
    > fastners and just bolting them on :) it works pretty good, but the
    > plates bend too easy ... and I just ground off the axle w/ a grinder so
    > that it wasn't in the way

    would you mind posting some pics of it and maybe explaining a little
    more how to build one? i really want to build one.

    --
    unisteez
    unisteez's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11988

  5. skroboskim

    skroboskim Guest

    unisteez wrote:
    > would you mind posting some pics of it and maybe explaining a little
    > more how to build one? i really want to build one.

    its really easy ... all it is is a front bike wheel ... and some kind
    of angle iron w/ a hole drilled through it and attached to the axle of
    the rim in a fixed, lined up position and kabang theres your BC wheel

    my design is really bad because it is so weak, but if you had some
    stronger angle iron (which im going to put some on) it would be strong
    , then all you have to do is bolt the angle irons on using the axle and
    the nuts the bike used ... i had to cut off the axle, but it was very
    long and I cut it off too short actually because i wasn't thinking
    about how the next angle irons would be thicker so I can only hope it
    works ... anyways ill put links to pics here in a second

    --
    skroboskim

    *:) -stephen-:)* CCTX
    -(me to my neighbor) im the guy who wishes he was better-
    -someday i will be pro... and another day i will fly to the moon and
    get neil armstrongs autograph...since he will still be there-
    skroboskim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11663

  6. unisteez

    unisteez Guest

  7. skroboskim

    skroboskim Guest

  8. litldude2

    litldude2 Guest

    Hey, it took me alot longer than 5 minutes to learn how to ride one.
    Multiple days I think to have it down relatively well.

    skroboskim wrote:
    > and do yall have any tips on freemounting??

    My favorite mount (and the most practical) is the skatemount. Put one
    of you feet on the plate (which ever feels more comfortable) and then
    push it like a skateboard then when you get some speed put the other
    one on. In the beginning you will probably find that when you try the
    whole wheel will tip over to the side you have your foot on. One thing
    to try when learning it is just do one push. With your foot on the
    plate pull the wheel back and gently push it forward and in one motion
    put your other foot on the other plate. Then when you start learning
    multiple pushes thing about it as hopping on one foot, that way you
    don't put so much pressure on the one side so it won't fall over.
    I learned how to grind on a bc before I learned how to mount. At that
    time I don't think anyone was doing skatemounts (well maybe they were,
    just not that I knew of at least) and a rolling mount is scary on the
    first trieds. If you have thin plates that you made yourself don't do
    the rolling mount or other hops because they will bend really easily,
    so will your axle if you have a 3/8".

    --
    litldude2

    Gallery.unicyclist.com/spencer
    AIM: Litldude2
    Email: Litldude2 (att) aol (dott) com
    (See a pattern?)

  9. maxisback

    maxisback Guest

  10. skroboskim

    skroboskim Guest

    maxisback wrote:
    > It is SO easy if jesus helps u

    maybe it is, but I never said that
    now did I ??

    --
    skroboskim

    *:) -stephen-:)* CCTX
    -(me to my neighbor) im the guy who wishes he was better-
    ><> Unicycle for Christ <><

    skroboskim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11663

  11. TrialsUni

    TrialsUni Guest

    litldude2 wrote:
    > One thing to try when learning it is just do one push. With your foot on
    > the plate pull the wheel back and gently push it forward and in one
    > motion put your other foot on the other plate. Then when you start
    > learning multiple pushes thing about it as hopping on one foot, that
    > way you don't put so much pressure on the one side so it won't fall
    > over.

    I'm going to have to try this.

    Since I'm on summer break now, I get to concentrate as much as I want
    (until I find a job...but I'm still going to make time to unicycle, as
    that is first priority in my life right now) BC'ing. I've probably
    worked at it less than tens hours so far...which has only amounted to
    once in a while up until this point.

    I'm having a great time learning how to do it, and am getting with much
    ease that I should be grateful for.

    There's one problem yet. I'm still having a bit of difficulty getting
    both feet on the BC equally. My left foot is the one that stays on the
    ground and does the pushing...the one last to get on the plates.
    Sometimes I get it on a little too far forward. Not only do I see that
    it's too far forward, but I can feel it also. Any solutions for this?

    Mounting in general has come a long ways. So has riding the BC. I've
    hopped up a few curbs from the front and side. I've taken a few drops
    off of curbs. I'm getting different types of turning down (narrow
    turns and wide sweeping turns...etc). I've also made quite a few
    multiple push skatemounts without problems. This seems to be one last
    little hurdle before I really go at progressing with the BC as more
    than just a beginner.

    Thanks,
    Evan

    --