How long does it take to order a Trek in anyways?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Jason Spaceman, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?

    When I ordered the bike 2 weeks ago the shop said it should take about 1 to 2 weeks for it
    to come in.

    This past Tuesday I stopped by another LBS that has some 2004 Trek 5200's on display. I asked the
    guy there how long it would take to order one in in my size and he said about 4 days. Or was he just
    underestimating the time it takes for orders to ship?

    J. Spaceman

    Tags:

  2. Suzy Jackson

    Suzy Jackson Guest

    "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    > weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    > themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?

    Two weeks! When I were young, and bought my Colnago, I gave in after two months and
    compromised on colour, as I was told it would be "at least" another two months before the
    frame I'd ordered arrived.

    Regards,

    Suzy

  3. On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 10:58:35 GMT, "Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly
    >> two weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal?

    Aren't you in Oz?

    Here in the US, Trek has several warehouses. Sometimes, we can get an _in stock_ bike in a few days,
    if it's coming from the closest warehouse. I don't know anything about Trek's Aussie distribution,
    but I would imagine it could take longer.

    Two weeks still dosen't seem at all unreasonable, even for the US.

    Barry

  4. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    "Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly
    > > two weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from
    > > Trek themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?
    >
    > Two weeks! When I were young, and bought my Colnago, I gave in after two months and compromised on
    > colour, as I was told it would be "at least" another two months before the frame I'd ordered
    > arrived.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy

    Ya shoulda known better - the only thing Italian that has ever been on time is a train and that's
    only when they aren't on strike ;-)

    App

  5. Fastrack

    Fastrack Guest

    On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 08:42:19 GMT, Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    >weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    >themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?
    >
    >When I ordered the bike 2 weeks ago the shop said it should take about 1 to 2 weeks for it
    >to come in.
    >
    >This past Tuesday I stopped by another LBS that has some 2004 Trek 5200's on display. I asked the
    >guy there how long it would take to order one in in my size and he said about 4 days. Or was he
    >just underestimating the time it takes for orders to ship?
    >

    >J. Spaceman

    Your model is probably out of stock for now. Treks production is every couple weeks. If you ordered
    a triple it may take longer since Shimano was low on some triple parts...

    Dave Lettieri
    > FasTrack Bicycles 118 W. Canon Perdido Santa Barbara, CA 93101 805-884-0210 775-248-7632 Fax

  6. suzy-<< Two weeks! When I were young, and bought my Colnago, I gave in after two months and
    compromised on colour, as I was told it would be "at least" another two months before the frame I'd
    ordered arrived. >><BR><BR>

    I just ordered a custom Merckx MX Leader..they say I'll see it about March or so...

  7. Jason Spaceman <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    > weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    > themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?

    In general bike shops order from regional warehouses. I never sold Treks but I assume they work the
    same way. When I worked in shops if someone wanted a bike that we could get from a warehouse within
    reasonable driving distance I'd get up early the next morning and pick up their bike so they'd have
    it the next day.

    When I had to get a bike from a more distant warehouse we could get it in a week or less but
    sometimes we incorporated it into another order so the shipping on a single bike wouldn't eat up all
    our profit.

    > When I ordered the bike 2 weeks ago the shop said it should take about 1 to 2 weeks for it to
    > come in.

    Hate to speak for them but I suspect they are trying to come up with a larger order so they can
    reduce the shipping charges per bike. Also some brands of bikes give you free shipping if you order
    enough bikes so they could be shooting for that.

    > This past Tuesday I stopped by another LBS that has some 2004 Trek 5200's on display. I asked the
    > guy there how long it would take to order one in in my size and he said about 4 days. Or was he
    > just underestimating the time it takes for orders to ship?

    Again, hate to speak for anyone but I suspect the 2nd shop gave you the actual shipping time while
    the 1st one was adding it to a larger order.
    --
    Bruce Jackson - Sr. Systems Programmer - DMSP, a M/A/R/C Group company

  8. > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    > weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    > themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?
    >
    > When I ordered the bike 2 weeks ago the shop said it should take about 1 to 2 weeks for it to
    > come in.
    >
    > This past Tuesday I stopped by another LBS that has some 2004 Trek 5200's on display. I asked the
    > guy there how long it would take to order one in in my size and he said about 4 days. Or was he
    > just underestimating the time it takes for orders to ship?

    There have been times where TREK has been out of 5200s in many sizes for as long as two months. A
    couple weeks might very well be optimistic; TREK recently sent out a letter to dealers explaining
    that the recent surge in popularity of road bikes, as well as shortages of a key component from
    Shimano, have resulted in a severe shortage and backorder situation.

    What size are you looking for? I can try and get more detailed info for you.

    One other thing that can happen is that a shop simply didn't get them ordered when they should have,
    and will have to wait their turn. And it's even possible that a shop might be in credit jail
    (meaning they won't get shipped more product until they pay down their bill).

    For what it's worth, the TREK 5200 comes in a total of 32 size & color options (men's in doubles &
    triples, two colors, 7 sizes, and women's in 4 sizes/1 color). As of yesterday, when I placed a bike
    order, they had exactly *3* of those 32 options in stock.

  9. O. Simonsen

    O. Simonsen Guest

    "Suzy Jackson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly
    > > two weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from
    > > Trek themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?
    >
    > Two weeks! When I were young, and bought my Colnago, I gave in after two months and compromised on
    > colour, as I was told it would be "at least" another two months before the frame I'd ordered
    > arrived.

    I ordered my Fondriest (in a special color) dec. 05 2001 and was told that it would take some 8
    weeks to arraive. It was ready for me some four months later. But as you all know, god things are
    worth waiting for. Forza Italia......

    /O.Simonsen

    > Regards,
    >
    > Suzy

  10. Rick Warner

    Rick Warner Guest

    [email protected].com (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > suzy-<< Two weeks! When I were young, and bought my Colnago, I gave in after two months and
    > compromised on colour, as I was told it would be "at least" another two months before the frame
    > I'd ordered arrived. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > I just ordered a custom Merckx MX Leader..they say I'll see it about March or so...

    Hey Peter, I assume this is for a customer, unless you are giving up on your Nobilette ;-)

    - rick

  11. Q.

    Q. Guest

    You can always try to go strait to the company. I've special ordered some expensive things before...
    A Gibson left handed guitar, Automag right hopper paintball gun and a 3/4 ton Chevy pickup with a
    454 ... and have had the same problem, that is until I started contacting the companies directly.
    The squeaky wheel gets the grease as they say. In all fairness, it's not usually the companies
    fault, but the middlemen / middle management / distributors. In the case of the paintball gun the
    distributor didn't want to order it until he was ready to order a bunch at a time to get the
    discount ... I found this out since my LPS happens to be owned by one of my best friends, and he WAS
    trying to get me that gun. When I called the company directly I found out they had a few of the ones
    I wanted in stock, sitting on the shelf. The company arranged to ship one directly to the
    distributor, that day, and with their usual discount. In a couple of days I had it in ... after
    waiting a month.

    C.Q.C.

    "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Perhaps some of you folk who work at bike shops can tell me. I ordered a 2004 Trek 5200 nearly two
    > weeks ago from a LBS and it still isn't in. Is this normal? Do shops order directly from Trek
    > themselves or is there a supplier that shops order their stuff from?
    >
    > When I ordered the bike 2 weeks ago the shop said it should take about 1 to 2 weeks for it to
    > come in.
    >
    > This past Tuesday I stopped by another LBS that has some 2004 Trek 5200's on display. I asked the
    > guy there how long it would take to order one in in my size and he said about 4 days. Or was he
    > just underestimating the time it takes for orders to ship?
    >

    > J. Spaceman

  12. Rick

    Rick Guest

    I just got my new 2004 Cannondale R2000 from my LBS. The owner said it would take about 4 days to
    get here. She said the same thing when I got my Y2K R800 four years ago. It was two weeks when it
    was ready for me to pick up. No worries. That peroid of time is not long to wait for a new item.
    When a new model comes out many folks are buying them and I am sure the manufacture is getting them
    out as soon as they come off the assembly line. If you are in a hurry you need to look at the lead
    time when buying such and item or get what is already on the floor.

    Rick in Tennessee

  13. Sorni

    Sorni Guest

    Only takes a minute.

    Bill "to ORDER, that is" S.

  14. On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:02:51 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >There have been times where TREK has been out of 5200s in many sizes for as long as two months. A
    >couple weeks might very well be optimistic; TREK recently sent out a letter to dealers explaining
    >that the recent surge in popularity of road bikes, as well as shortages of a key component from
    >Shimano, have resulted in a severe shortage and backorder situation.
    >
    >What size are you looking for? I can try and get more detailed info for you.
    >
    >One other thing that can happen is that a shop simply didn't get them ordered when they should
    >have, and will have to wait their turn. And it's even possible that a shop might be in credit jail
    >(meaning they won't get shipped more product until they pay down their bill).
    >
    >For what it's worth, the TREK 5200 comes in a total of 32 size & color options (men's in doubles &
    >triples, two colors, 7 sizes, and women's in 4 sizes/1 color). As of yesterday, when I placed a
    >bike order, they had exactly *3* of those 32 options in stock.
    >
    >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    I phoned the LBS today to find out if my order was on the way. The guy told me that he contacted
    Trek and it will be another 3 to 4 weeks
    :-(. That sucks, by the time the bike arrives there will probably be
    snow on the ground.

    I didn't order a custom paint job or anything like that, just yer basic standard 2004 Trek 5200,
    60cm, double crank, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colour.

    The other LBS had some 2004 5200's on display, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colours, although they
    had none in my size.

    J. Spaceman

  15. Onefred

    Onefred Guest

    > ... sent out a letter to dealers explaining that the recent surge in popularity of road bikes, ...

    Expect another surge in road bike sales next summer as everyone watches Lance fake stomach and back
    aches, barely hanging on to the yellow jersey, stage after stage after stage (oh, poor thing) ...
    only to see him blow past everyone in the competition's last big climb.
    :)

    Dave

  16. > I didn't order a custom paint job or anything like that, just yer basic standard 2004 Trek 5200,
    > 60cm, double crank, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colour.
    >
    > The other LBS had some 2004 5200's on display, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colours, although they
    > had none in my size.

    The shop isn't in a unique situation; TREK's been out of the "Team" paint scheme for some time.
    We're so desperate to get them that, even if they were only available in doubles (we sell mainly
    triples), we'd bring them in and switch them over. Right now we're out of 62cm "Team" OCLV bikes,
    and down to just one of most other sizes (and for the number that we sell, that's far too few).

    "Jason Spaceman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 03 Oct 2003 15:02:51 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >There have been times where TREK has been out of 5200s in many sizes for
    as
    > >long as two months. A couple weeks might very well be optimistic; TREK recently sent out a letter
    > >to dealers explaining that the recent surge in popularity of road bikes, as well as shortages of
    > >a key component from Shimano, have resulted in a severe shortage and backorder situation.
    > >
    > >What size are you looking for? I can try and get more detailed info for you.
    > >
    > >One other thing that can happen is that a shop simply didn't get them ordered when they should
    > >have, and will have to wait their turn. And
    it's
    > >even possible that a shop might be in credit jail (meaning they won't get shipped more product
    > >until they pay down their bill).
    > >
    > >For what it's worth, the TREK 5200 comes in a total of 32 size & color options (men's in doubles
    > >& triples, two colors, 7 sizes, and women's in
    4
    > >sizes/1 color). As of yesterday, when I placed a bike order, they had exactly *3* of those 32
    > >options in stock.
    > >
    > >--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    > >

    > I phoned the LBS today to find out if my order was on the way. The guy told me that he contacted
    > Trek and it will be another 3 to 4 weeks
    > :-(. That sucks, by the time the bike arrives there will probably be
    > snow on the ground.
    >
    > I didn't order a custom paint job or anything like that, just yer basic standard 2004 Trek 5200,
    > 60cm, double crank, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colour.
    >
    > The other LBS had some 2004 5200's on display, in the Nude Pearl/Team Blue colours, although they
    > had none in my size.
    >

    > J. Spaceman

  17. Robert Dole

    Robert Dole Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote
    > ... TREK recently sent out a letter to dealers explaining that the recent surge in popularity of
    > road bikes, as well as shortages of a key component from Shimano, have resulted in a severe
    > shortage and backorder situation.

    Do you think it is a big surge, or just a little mini-bump relative to this time of the year?

    Aren't they mostly trying to get inventory back in line this time of the year, rather than building
    a bunch of new bikes?

    Isn't this deer hunting season in Wisconsin?

  18. > Isn't this deer hunting season in Wisconsin?

    So you've heard about that? The plant virtually shuts down for two weeks. Pretty amazing. The first
    week of deer hunting season is a bit more "sporting" in that you're not allowed to use gun, just
    bows & arrows, that sort of thing. Guys hang out in trees, waiting for some poor unlucky deer to
    come along. Wisconsin has a lot of great things going for it, including some really wonderful
    people, but some aspects of the place are just a bit weird (even) for me...

    "Robert Dole" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Mike Jacoubowsky" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > ... TREK recently sent out a letter to dealers explaining that the recent surge
    in
    > > popularity of road bikes, as well as shortages of a key component from Shimano, have resulted in
    > > a severe shortage and backorder situation.
    >
    > Do you think it is a big surge, or just a little mini-bump relative to this time of the year?
    >
    > Aren't they mostly trying to get inventory back in line this time of the year, rather than
    > building a bunch of new bikes?
    >
    > Isn't this deer hunting season in Wisconsin?

  19. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    >> Isn't this deer hunting season in Wisconsin?
    >
    >So you've heard about that? The plant virtually shuts down for two weeks. Pretty amazing. The first
    >week of deer hunting season is a bit more "sporting" in that you're not allowed to use gun, just
    >bows & arrows, that sort of thing. Guys hang out in trees, waiting for some poor unlucky deer to
    >come along. Wisconsin has a lot of great things going for it, including some really wonderful
    >people, but some aspects of the place are just a bit weird (even) for me...

    Yikes! I'd keep out of the woods for two weeks. I would also break out all of my neon clothes. I'm
    an archer, but I only shoot paper.
    Alex