How long does pizza dough keep in a fridge?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Dec 28, 2005.

  1. Hi again,

    I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

    Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    off taste?

    Cheers

    Burnsy

    Tags:

  2. Jimbo

    Jimbo Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Hi again,
    >
    > I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    > might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    > it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    > flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
    >
    > Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    > off taste?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Burnsy

    Thats what I do and a rule of thumb I use is one week.

  3. Paul M. Cook

    Paul M. Cook Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Hi again,
    >
    > I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    > might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    > it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    > flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.

    It will last about 5 days in the fridge. After that the yeast start to die
    and the dough turns a grayish color. It can still be cooked and eaten but
    it will have a sourdough flavor and it will not rise very much. Perfectly
    edible just the same. You can also freeze dough. I keep a few 1 pound
    balls of dough in the freezer. Double wrap them and they'll keep 6 months.

    > Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    > off taste?

    Sauce is good for about a week or two. You can also freeze the sauce.
    Being acidic it keeps longer but it will grow mold after a couple weeks.

    Paul

  4. I usually freeze the dough. Fifty percent of the time I remember it,
    and just do a quick 'auto-defrost' thing in the microwave. The other
    fifty percent of the time, it hardens into a freezer-burned rock and
    gets thrown out three (conservative estimate) years later. I freeze
    sauce that way too -- only I'd say 70 percent of it never makes it to
    the microwave.

    These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
    takes 45 minutes total.

    Karen MacInerney
    Kitchen experimenter, family chauffeur, and culinary mystery author
    www.karenmacinerney.com

  5. On 28 Dec 2005 17:29:28 -0800, "Karen MacInerney"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >These days, I like to make pizza dough in a bread machine -- easy, and
    >takes 45 minutes total.

    These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
    in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
    resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
    especially after the longer fermentation period.

    Christine

  6. On 28 Dec 2005 [email protected] wrote:

    > Hi again,
    >
    > I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    > might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    > it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    > flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
    >
    > Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    > off taste?
    >
    > Cheers
    >
    > Burnsy

    I'm not real familiar with the specifics of pizza dough, but sauce freezes
    beautifully. You can cook it, divide it into portions and freeze it in
    what ever kind of container that you like best. I like the zipper bags.

    Here, we can buy all sorts of frozen yeast bread doughs. Those I have
    tried work fine. So, you should be able to freeze your dough. Whether you
    should freeze it in a ball or log or all ready rolled out into a pizza
    shape, I don't know.

    Elaine, too

  7. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article
    <[email protected]>,
    Elaine Parrish <[email protected]> wrote:

    > On 28 Dec 2005 [email protected] wrote:
    >
    > > Hi again,
    > >
    > > I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    > > might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    > > it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    > > flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
    > >
    > > Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    > > off taste?

    > I'm not real familiar with the specifics of pizza dough, but sauce freezes
    > beautifully. You can cook it, divide it into portions and freeze it in
    > what ever kind of container that you like best. I like the zipper bags.
    >
    > Here, we can buy all sorts of frozen yeast bread doughs. Those I have
    > tried work fine.

    We had pizza for my birthday. We used the frozen bread dough. I like
    it quite well. Thaw in the microwave. Sauce is just an 8oz can of
    tomato sauce. Spread however much you want, we use a spoon. Sprinkle
    dried herbs on it to taste. Add toppings and cheese.

    --
    Dan Abel
    [email protected]

  8. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0800, Christine Dabney
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
    >in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
    >resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
    >especially after the longer fermentation period.
    >
    >Christine

    could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?

    Bill

  9. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed, 28 Dec 2005 17:35:46 -0800, Christine Dabney
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>These days, I make pizza dough in the food processor, per instructions
    >>in Peter Reinhardts's American Pie. Pretty fast, outside of the
    >>resting period to let the gluten relax. And it is marvelous tasting,
    >>especially after the longer fermentation period.
    >>
    >>Christine

    > could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
    >
    > Bill

    Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
    recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
    liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
    Dee Dee

  10. Cape Cod Bob

    Cape Cod Bob Guest

    On 28 Dec 2005 13:49:52 -0800, [email protected] wrote:

    >Hi again,
    >
    >I was wondering how long pizza dough keeps in the fridge. I thought it
    >might be good to simply keep decent quantities in the fridge and pull
    >it out when im hungry and roll me a pizza base without all the mess of
    >flour, sticky fingers etc everytime.
    >
    >Also, how about pizza sauce? Does that keep long before it starts going
    >off taste?

    Until it smells bad. Seriously
    ------------
    There are no atheists in foxholes
    or in Fenway Park in an extra inning
    game.
    ____

    Cape Cod Bob

    Delete the two "spam"s for email

  11. Bill

    Bill Guest

    On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:34:25 -0500, "Dee Randall"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>>Christine

    >> could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
    >>
    >> Bill

    >Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
    >recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to your
    >liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
    >Dee Dee

    well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
    recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
    this recipe?

    Bill

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    >>> could you share Peter's recipe for the pizza dough Christine?
    >>>
    >>> Bill

    >>Bill, do you have a library? This book has many different pizza dough
    >>recipes in it, it is full of them. You might choose any one of them to
    >>your
    >>liking. Almost every library and bookstore has his books.
    >>Dee Dee

    > well, I suppose I could go to the library? I really want to try the
    > recipe on page 114 of Peter's book. Has anyone in this group tried
    > this recipe?
    >
    > Bill

    Yes, I have tried the recipe on p. 114 (NY style), but I prefer the one on
    page 11 (New Haven style).
    I don't copy recipes from books to ngs or on the internet because I feel
    there is a copyright problem. That might not be true, but it is my opinion
    and others on this ng have disagreed, and you may get the recipe from
    someone who disagrees with me. I respect authors' rights to their work
    product, even though these books are at the library and one can copy all
    these wish from them for their personal use, but not for thousands on the
    internet.
    But sometimes you may locate a recipe that someone has done this by googling
    for it.
    Dee Dee