How long had your frame lasted before it broke?

dot

Apr 28, 2003
I already broke two frames. They were not top notch ones, both made in Taiwan, medium weight and not pricey, both replaced by warranty. First one broke after 16000 кms, second one lasted a bit more, I think it was about 17000 kms. I'm a pretty heavy rider, about 79-81 kilos(174-180 lbs) and like to push big gears.
Also I owned a frame that lasted about 20000 km then I sold it. I think it could be still alive but that frame was heavy, I think it was ~1900 grams for medium size.

dot said:
I already broke two frames. They were not top notch ones, both made in Taiwan, medium weight and not pricey, both replaced by warranty. First one broke after 16000 кms, second one lasted a bit more, I think it was about 17000 kms. I'm a pretty heavy rider, about 79-81 kilos(174-180 lbs) and like to push big gears.
Also I owned a frame that lasted about 20000 km then I sold it. I think it could be still alive but that frame was heavy, I think it was ~1900 grams for medium size.
I have 3 bikes (building a fourth) and havent managed to break a frame yet. RD's, on the other hand...

dot said:
In the last ten years of mountain biking, I have broken two Sycip custom full suspension frames and two Trek Fuel frames. All from climbing at my local State Park. The Sycip frames both took about two years each to break while my first Trek Fuel frame broke in one year while the Trek warranty replacement frame took only three months! You should of heard what the Trek rep said to me over the phone. He said due to my climbing up the local mountain in the middle chainring, this provides a great amount of stress to the bottom bracket which is why I broke two Trek Fuel frames according to the Trek rep. Now imagine the shock of the owner of the LBS where I bought the bike when he described to the Trek rep over the phone that I am only 5' 8" and 150 lbs. The LBS owner couldn't imagine why would the frames break if I used the middle chainring to climb??? I couldn't imagine either.

I have one Litespeed from 1990 that I cracked the downtube in 1996, had it repaired and am still riding it for cyclocross racing. I also had a 1997 Litespeed that the head tube sheared off in 2002 or so due to bad welds, it felt weird when braking and I looked at the areas that eventually cracked (even the prior night!) and could not feel or see anything wrong there. I also had a Bridgestone MB-Zip the lasted about two months - put all the parts on the 1990 Litespeed for a good ten years or so.

dot said:
...and like to push big gears.

wait.. you mean "i dont know how to pedal propperly so i use a big gear and i want knee replacements"

what brand were the broken frames?

moparchris said:
wait.. you mean "i dont know how to pedal propperly so i use a big gear and i want knee replacements"

what brand were the broken frames?

...just ignoring insults... I like to push big gears during training and riding. My legs are suited for this because they have a lot of muscle mass. I would be stupid if I did not use it.

Once I had a big gear related injury. it was an unfortunate incident with the right knee and climbling standing. I could not ride for 2 months but I was runnning instead. Having recovered I just rethought my riding style: I just don't climb standing anymore. ;)

The frames were Merida matts sport '01 and GT zaskar race '02.

dot said:
GT Zaskar frames are not all they are cracked up to be, you broke it near the rear drop out weld didnt you...i snapped a Zaskar frame there too...

nasty it was, it wasnt my bike though, the dude was okay about it...welded it.

dot said:
GT Zaskar frames are not all they are cracked up to be, you broke it near the rear drop out weld didnt you...i snapped a Zaskar frame there too...

MountainPro said:

No, I almost broke off the bottom bracket on the zaskar. The crack was half across the bottom tube and half way around the welding seam on the seat tube. I think if I had ridden one more hour pushing my favourite gears the bottom bracket would have totally fell off. I liked this frame and got the same one as a warranty replacement.

MountainPro said:

No, I almost broke off the bottom bracket on the zaskar. The crack was half across the bottom tube and half way around the welding seam on the seat tube. I think if I had ridden one more hour pushing my favourite gears the bottom bracket would have totally fell off. I liked this frame and got the same one as a warranty replacement.

dot said:
...just ignoring insults... I like to push big gears during training and riding. My legs are suited for this because they have a lot of muscle mass. I would be stupid if I did not use it.

Once I had a big gear related injury. it was an unfortunate incident with the right knee and climbling standing. I could not ride for 2 months but I was runnning instead. Having recovered I just rethought my riding style: I just don't climb standing anymore. ;)

I want to hear more about this climbing standing health risk, I don't do that much climbing as I only have a single chainring but when I do I always stand up. Am I heading for a hospital visit?

I'm currently on my fourth MTB in 11 years of riding.

Jessy said:
I want to hear more about this climbing standing health risk, I don't do that much climbing as I only have a single chainring but when I do I always stand up. Am I heading for a hospital visit?

I can't say anything on that matter. I think my case was not very common. It was a reall stupid mistake - I was not spinning smoothly. I pulled my leg up sharply and too hard and then I felt like something tore inside the knee.

As long as I know I have not seen anyone who have developed any problems with knees or any other joints due to climbing standing. Also my knee recovered since then but now I avoid TOO big gears and always control my spinning.

My first MB I bought from KMART when I was 13. Snapped the frame that arvo jumping in the back yard. KMART said I voided my warranty as soon as I rode on the grass. How many mountain bike tracks in the bush are concrete?!?

1996 fisher big sur broke chainstay, 1998 fisher big sur broke chainstay, 1998 proflex w/carbon rear...broke two. 1995 foes weasel sheared off bottom bracket (completely) 2002 giant warp cracked got 2003 it has new hydroformed tubes still got it have not broke my 2003 khs fr 2000 yet, my new 06 stinky is on the way..... do you see the progression:D

ive had my mongoose A-50R frame (YES ITS FROM WALMART!!!) for about 7 years now, ive been over 200 for 5 of the years, and this frame has taken a beating. yes now most of my riding is on the road, but when i was in college it saw some heavy off-road abuse, from me.

now i have a supergo access mtb frame with my main components, and the mongoose is a beat around bike, with slicks for road. unfortunately most of my "offroad" riding now is the erie canal trail here in NY. thats ok id probably hurt myself if i went offroad these days, its been a while haha