How long has your Power Tap gone before needing service?

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by lanierb, Aug 3, 2007.

1. lanierb

lanierb New Member

Mine went 3250 miles and now has a problem (looks like a flaky speed sensor). I'm curious how long others have gone. Is 3000 miles good or bad?

Tags:

2. beerco

beerco New Member

I've had mine for four seasons now, just shy of 8k miles (no snickering, I've had a tough couple years work and family wise) but it hasn't needed any "factory" service. I changed the cone in it once after about 4k miles, doesn't seem to need it right now though.

3. yawg

yawg New Member

I've had my PT for 1.5 seasons. I had to send it back for the first time last month and then again 2 weeks later because it broke again. In the month of July I've spent ~280 dollars on a replacement harness, hub repair and postage. :(

greg

4. peterpen

peterpen New Member

My PT SL went ~8000 miles (~8 months) before I sent it in for new bearings.

If you're having speed sensor problems, that's probably the harness not the hub. No need for "service" just a new harness.

[edit] forgot how the PT senses speed. :eek: Could still be the harness, though. I'd check that first before sending it in.

5. lanierb

lanierb New Member

8000 miles seems pretty good to me.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure that speed is measured in the hub and then transmitted to the harness.

6. PhilH

PhilH New Member

Had my PT Pro since Jan 2005 probably has 12,000 miles on it and its still going fine. I had to get a new head unit when one of the buttons stopped working and I have had change the cone and bearings once. But that's it.

7. mr_mojo

mr_mojo New Member

my PT Pro on an open pro rim has gone 3 full seasons (probably 20k+ miles) of training and racing (sometimes in severe rain) without a single issue. I've changed the batteries twice. Bearings *seem* fine.

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

My original Tune Power Tap still works. I was a beta tester for them, back in 99 i think. Changed the bearings on it a few times.

My Pro units lasted about 1200 to 1500 hrs before needing a new torque tube

My SL went about 900 hours before i replaced the axle unit (but this was because i was selling it, rather than it needed it)

My 2.4 is working great.

Probably, now, i've said that, everything is likely to fall to pieces tomorrow.

I also test my units before sending them out where possible to make sure they're working correctly and are calibrated correctly. (i sell PT, SRM and Ergomo)

Ric

9. NomadVW

NomadVW New Member

I sent my PT SL in somewhere around 11k miles for new innards.

Got it back and after 3 rides will be calling Saris again on Monday to see about sending it back again, already stopped working. Blech. Glad I have two.

10. jws

jws New Member

My PT Pro just turned 4 yrs old and is still great...that's over 1200 hours and 20,000 miles/32,000 km. I replaced the cone a few times. I used a Wheels Mfg cone this last time in hope that it'll last longer.

Another PT Pro needed to go back right away to get re-calibrated, but has been perfect for the next 3 years.

11. The Flash!

The Flash! New Member

Mine is around 1000 miles and just went in.....no power issues, but the bearings are shot. I should have it back in a week or so...

Flash

12. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

To any one...how much did it cost to get it tuned up?

13. yawg

yawg New Member

If you need to have the torque tube replaced it will run you $170.

greg

14. The Flash!

The Flash! New Member

Mine was covered under warranty.....

15. Alex Simmons

Alex Simmons Member

Outbound postage and wheelbuilding costs only.

Saris have never charged me for replacement of unit, service/repair or the return postage to Australia. I've sent three units back to them.

16. mloywhite

mloywhite New Member

I had about 9000 miles on my Powertap SL, when I recently sent it to Saris for service. They did what they called a "complete rebuild" and sent me a new head unit and coded heart rate strap, all for $150.00, shipped. I found Saris to have really good customer service, it took 10 days to get it back, and I thought the price was great. I highly recommend Saris.

17. Tim Lamkin

Tim Lamkin New Member

I will admit not sure if there is a better company for customer service.

18. vladav

vladav New Member

6 months, but only because I waited. Needed to get the RF signal tweaked so it wouldn't keep dropping...

Just over 1100 miles

19. wally58

wally58 New Member

4,500 mi. new harrness and batteries. thats it

20. GaryWSmith

GaryWSmith New Member

Within 3 months had "data drop outs". Repaired / replaced by local distributor in 2 days.
    Months later - Dud receiver (shark fin) replaced harness same day.
    Download cradle had an intermittent open circuit. Replaced at my cost. I probably damaged this myself carrying it in my laptop bag.
    More recently I had a dead hub after a few days of low battery warning - turned out that the battery holder in the hub was faulty. Replaced same morning - no cost.

I've had a bit of bad luck but with the great service that I've had I can certainly live with the gremlins.