How long is oil good for?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Default, Apr 4, 2004.

    Default Guest

    I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french
    fries... how long should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more a
    function of use or time? Is there an easy way to tell when
    the oil needs to be changed?

    Tags:

  2. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Default <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french
    > fries... how long should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more
    > a function of use or time? Is there an easy way to tell
    > when the oil needs to be changed?

    If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If the
    oil is way darker than when it frirst went in the deep
    fryer and if the oil has absorbed a flavour from the foods
    cooked (ie fish). Canola oil is normally good for about a
    year. But frying at temps near it's smoking point lowers
    it's smoking point.

    --
    Once during Prohibition I was forced to live for days on
    nothing but food and water.

  3. Levelwave©

    Levelwave© Guest

    hahabogus wrote:

    > If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If
    > the oil is way darker than when it frirst went in the deep
    > fryer and if the oil has absorbed a flavour from the foods
    > cooked (ie fish). Canola oil is normally good for about a
    > year. But frying at temps near it's smoking point lowers
    > it's smoking point.

    Does the oil have to be refrigerated?

    ~john

  4. Hahabogus

    Hahabogus Guest

    Levelwave© <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > hahabogus wrote:
    >
    >> If the oil smells off. If the oil smokes excessivly. If
    >> the oil is way darker than when it frirst went in the
    >> deep fryer and if the oil has absorbed a flavour from the
    >> foods cooked (ie fish). Canola oil is normally good for
    >> about a year. But frying at temps near it's smoking point
    >> lowers it's smoking point.
    >

    > Does the oil have to be refrigerated?
    >
    > ~john

    No, just store the oil in a cool place out of direct
    sunlight.

    --

  5. Default wrote:

    > I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french
    > fries... how long should I keep/reuse the oil?

    Those are two VERY different questions.

    Canola oil in the original sealed container will last years.
    After opening unused canola oil still in the container will
    last a few years.

    The best length of time to use oil in a deep frier is once.
    Every time oil is heated it has more transfats. So ideally
    use as little as you can and change it daily. As a practical
    matter consider changing some of it daily. The more you
    change the better the fries.

  6. Scott

    Scott Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    Default <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I'm using canola oil in a deep fry machine to make french
    > fries... how long should I keep/reuse the oil? Is it more
    > a function of use or time? Is there an easy way to tell
    > when the oil needs to be changed?

    Summary of info from "How to Read a French Fry":

    avoid oxygen, light, and moisture--store in the smallest
    container it'll fit in, and in a cool, dark place.

    Discard when the smoke point drops to close to the frying
    temperature, or when it develops off-odors, or becomes
    noticeably darker than unused oil.

    The book also recommends adding a tablespoon of old (not
    rancid) oil to each cup of new--saying that brand-new oil
    doesn't cook as well as oil that's broken in a little.

    please mail OT responses only