How Long is the Brooks B17 CS Break-In Period?

Dear RBT,

I have yet another newbie question. I have carefully read the
documentation that is included with the Brooks B17 CS and Proofide. The
doc says to apply Proofide to the saddle more frequently during the
'break-in period', but does not say how long this period is. I thought
the saddle was a bit hard on my early rides, but after ~ 100 miles it
feels OK now. I am 225lbs, 6'4'' (if that matters).
I ride ~ 15 miles daily, 7 days per week.

I have applied Proofide to the underside and the top (one time each).

- Jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear RBT,
>
> I have yet another newbie question. I have carefully read the
> documentation that is included with the Brooks B17 CS and Proofide. The
> doc says to apply Proofide to the saddle more frequently during the
> 'break-in period', but does not say how long this period is. I thought
> the saddle was a bit hard on my early rides, but after ~ 100 miles it
> feels OK now. I am 225lbs, 6'4'' (if that matters).
> I ride ~ 15 miles daily, 7 days per week.
>
> I have applied Proofide to the underside and the top (one time each).
>
> - Jay

Now put the Proofide away for a good long while. It's done. Plenty of
posts about B17s if you search the groups. Basic sum-up: don't do
anything other than a little Proofide or clear wax to start, then ride
it. Do not hit with ball peen hammer, do not soak in oil, just ride it,
and adjust the angle as needed. Most folks like them slightly nose up.

They're as comfy as they'll ever get at 100 miles, imho.

Hi Land,

My main concern is bruising the saddle when the bike tips over. I have
a double kickstand on order from Sheldon - I believe this will be much
more stable. When I have my trunk bag on the rear rack, it does not
take much to tip it over. A slight breeze will do it.

My nephew has already knocked my bike over and scuffed my new saddle. I
guess that is what ten-year-olds do.

I have indeed read many of the RBT archive posts on this topic, and I
don't plan to use much Proofide going forward.

- Jay

[email protected] wrote:
> Hi Land,
>
> My main concern is bruising the saddle when the bike tips over. I have
> a double kickstand on order from Sheldon - I believe this will be much
> more stable. When I have my trunk bag on the rear rack, it does not
> take much to tip it over. A slight breeze will do it.
>
> My nephew has already knocked my bike over and scuffed my new saddle. I
> guess that is what ten-year-olds do.

Battle scars. it's going to get scuffed, don't fret about it, it's not
a Tiffany lampshade, it can handle it.

On 18 Sep 2006 16:22:01 -0700, "landotter" <[email protected]>
wrote:

[---]

>They're as comfy as they'll ever get at 100 miles, imho.

That's probably not wide of the mark for a standard B17, as the
leather is not so thick. Other models, like the Team Pro or the
Conquest, can take considerably longer.

landotter wrote:
> [email protected] wrote:
>
>> Hi Land,
>>
>> My main concern is bruising the saddle when the bike tips over. I have
>> a double kickstand on order from Sheldon - I believe this will be much
>> more stable. When I have my trunk bag on the rear rack, it does not
>> take much to tip it over. A slight breeze will do it.
>>
>> My nephew has already knocked my bike over and scuffed my new saddle. I
>> guess that is what ten-year-olds do.
>>

> Battle scars. it's going to get scuffed, don't fret about it, it's not
> a Tiffany lampshade, it can handle it.

This past July and August I used a "used" B17 while going along the
Savannah Way in Australia. I bought it almost new on e-bay a while back
and used it a bit around the city, so it was broken in (I thought) when
I first started the Aussie trip, but after 500+ km and associated "bum
sweat" it was REAL comfortable. I did not apply anything to it (except
bum sweat) while I went over 1600 km along dirt roads and bitumen. The
B17 did the job and is now resting in my garage - waiting for me to
re-assemble my bicycle from the airline bicycle box. The Brooks was
scuffed up and occasionally soaked with sweat, but what a comfortable
seat. Why worry about it getting scuffed up - after all it is meant to
be used and sat on. Cosmetic looks mean nothing if the saddle is not
comfortable. Use it and GET comfortable with the brooks you have. Your
posterior could not care less if it "looks" nice. rather your posterior
cares more about the fit and feel.

I can hardly wait to use the saddle next year on another trip.....

Ken, Canada

Usually 100 miles. They're not all the same. Some are more comfortable
than others. I've found that the thinner the leather the quicker the
breakin and the more comfortable it will be.

All my brooks saddles were incredible out of the box. I applied
profide just to protect leater. Dont overapply it. Brooks are te best
out tere

[email protected] wrote:
> Dear RBT,
>
> I have yet another newbie question. I have carefully read the
> documentation that is included with the Brooks B17 CS and Proofide. The
> doc says to apply Proofide to the saddle more frequently during the
> 'break-in period', but does not say how long this period is. I thought
> the saddle was a bit hard on my early rides, but after ~ 100 miles it
> feels OK now. I am 225lbs, 6'4'' (if that matters).
> I ride ~ 15 miles daily, 7 days per week.
>
> I have applied Proofide to the underside and the top (one time each).
>
> - Jay

My Brooks B17 (and B17 champion Flyer) was "broken in" right out of the
box.

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

Ken Pisichko wrote:
I first started the Aussie trip, but after 500+ km and associated "bum
> sweat" it was REAL comfortable. I did not apply anything to it (except
> bum sweat) while I went over 1600 km along dirt roads and bitumen.

I smell (yuk!) a marketing opportunity here.

"BumSweat™, conditions and preserves fine leather saddles! An organic
product! Only $12.99 for a four ounce bottle from BumSweat.com. Order
yours today!"

(Coming soon to wreck.bike: someone will post looking for a low-cost
generic alternative to BumSweat™, claiming the real thing too expensive.)

BC
har har

On Wed, 20 Sep 2006 13:07:43 -0400, [email protected]
(none of your business) wrote:

>My Brooks B17 (and B17 champion Flyer) was "broken in" right out of the
>box.

Must be something new they are doing. My 1970's B17N didn't break in
until late in the 80's.

Group: rec.bicycles.tech
Date: Wed, Sep 20, 2006, 8:39pm (EDT+4)
From: [email protected] (- Bob -)

>Must be something new they are doing.
>My 1970's B17N didn't break in until late
>in the 80's.

Leather, being a naturaly produced product and therefore not subject to
modern manufacturing's uniformity standards can vary somewhat. But both
my B17 and my Ch. Flyer came to me in a "not hard" condition. Obviously
it took a bet of riding to achieve the "custom bum fit".

- -
Comments and opinions compliments of,
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

My web Site:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

To E-mail me:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Dear RBT,
>
> I have yet another newbie question. I have carefully read the
> documentation that is included with the Brooks B17 CS and Proofide. The
> doc says to apply Proofide to the saddle more frequently during the
> 'break-in period', but does not say how long this period is. I thought
> the saddle was a bit hard on my early rides, but after ~ 100 miles it
> feels OK now. I am 225lbs, 6'4'' (if that matters).
> I ride ~ 15 miles daily, 7 days per week.
>
> I have applied Proofide to the underside and the top (one time each).
>
> - Jay

Usually after 1 or 2 rides my butt breaks in.... ;-)

I broke in 3 new Brooks Pros last year and 100 miles seems to be about
right. YMMV

I apply Proofide once then once or twice a year after that. I found that a
hair drier on low setting helps get the Proofide into the hard to reach
areas under the saddle.

My favorite and most comfortable Pro dates from ~1971 and has over 35k
miles on it. I put a little more proofide on it every 2 years or so.

Chas.