How long is your post season rest?

BullGod

Apr 6, 2006
I finished my competitive season 10 days ago, and as the weather has stayed mild I have continued training.

Right now I am really tired, and kind of bored of training, and am seriously considering a week or two of inactivity and rest....and a few beers. Then I'll set the trainer up in November.

How long do you guys take to rest at the end of the season? Most of the elites I know round here take up to a month, but a few go straight from the road to the 'cross scene or the track.

I'm wondering the same thing. I didn't race at all this year but put in around 250 miles a week this summer and about 200 miles a week since school has started in September. I am, however, not burnt out at all, but I am cutting back nonetheless. I don't want to be burned out during racing season, so I figure I will cut milage back slowly until middle of November, I'll probably take a week off and then start real training for racing season the last week of November.

But what do others do??

I race Cat 1 here in Hokkaido, Japan, and although I don't have a huge number of races during the season (typically about 10 - 12 road races and 3 track events), I generally take about a 2 to 3 week rest period, doing whatever I want to (a little running and/or hiking typically). If I ride during this transition period, it's usually less than 5 hours per week, and I try to go places I usually don't have the opportunity to go with my usual training routes, and "smell the roses". I think it's important to have a physical and mental break. The mental may be even more important than the physical, after all the hard training during the season.

Two weeks (just ended).

Then go back to base work building up to first race in February.

Bob

I'm half way thruough a 4 week lay off. Gives the body a chance to recover and gives me time to focus on building my new race bike for next season. Come the begining off November the trainer will be set up in the conservatory and get going again.

BullGod said:
I finished my competitive season 10 days ago, and as the weather has stayed mild I have continued training.

Right now I am really tired, and kind of bored of training, and am seriously considering a week or two of inactivity and rest....and a few beers. Then I'll set the trainer up in November.

How long do you guys take to rest at the end of the season? Most of the elites I know round here take up to a month, but a few go straight from the road to the 'cross scene or the track.

None. Other than enforced time due to work or illness.

ric

None. I'll enjoy some leisurely, longish rides with my wife or the club boys in October/November/December and do some spinning and yoga in the gym. Start building up for the racing season in January.

ric_stern/RST said:
None. Other than enforced time due to work or illness.

ric
Is there any wonder why you never hear about his athletes compared to CC or other top coaches??

blkhotrod said:
Is there any wonder why you never hear about his athletes compared to CC or other top coaches??
You really think Chris Carmichael had anything to do with Lance Armstrong's success? You might read the book "Lance Armstrong's War," for starters.

blkhotrod said:
ouch! That would have cut deep. how dare you question the holy one, ric stern!:eek: