How long maple syrup last?

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by [email protected], Feb 22, 2006.

  1. I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM

    But that stuff is expensive.

    Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    it all.

    Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    Tags:

  2. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    It should last for months after opening if left in the
    fridge. You can always bring it to a boil and then pour it
    into smaller jars. That is what my grandmother used to do
    because my grandfather loved the stuff and used to buy
    gallons of it at a time. He often had a bowl of maple syrup
    with bread and butter for dessert.

  3. Myraide

    Myraide Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    i have kept it in glass bottles for close to a year and it seems to
    taste fine. but these are glass bottles, don't know about plastic.
    myraide

  4. jay

    jay Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:54:49 -0600, me wrote:

    > I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >

    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    Look at the use by date. I have one and the date is more than 2 years in
    the future. I keep it in the refrigerator.

  5. Boron Elgar

    Boron Elgar Guest

    On Wed, 22 Feb 2006 10:54:49 -0600, [email protected] wrote:

    >I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    >But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    >Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    >syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    >it all.
    >
    >Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    >If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    I keep it in the fridge. The worst thing that could happen to it is
    that is might "sugar" a bit and you'll need to stick the container in
    warm water for awhile.

    There is an A&P near me that carries a wonderful line of Polish fruit
    syrups, blueberry, blackberry, etc. They are marvelous for pancakes or
    waffles, but since we keep such eating to a minimum and it can be 2
    months in between uses, , the syrup needs to be warmed from the
    fridge. You can see the solids in the bottle when you take one from a
    cold fridge. The kids all go "Ewwwwww!" Silly geese.

    My kids are quite disturbed when they see a jam or syrup that has
    sugared. Picky, TV-influenced eaters that they are, they prefer items
    made with corn syrup and those things never sugar. Of course, they
    never taste good, either.

    Boron

  6. [email protected] wrote:
    > I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    I am not sure about in plastic but in glass it seems to keep
    practically forever. I have used some that was 3-4 years old. It may
    crystalize a bit but you can just reheat it and melt the sugar
    crystals.

    As a child I even remember skimming off some mould and using it but I
    might hesitate today :)

  7. On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?

    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >>
    >> But that stuff is expensive.
    >>
    >> Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    >> syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    >> it all.
    >>
    >> Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    >> If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    > i have kept it in glass bottles for close to a year and it seems to
    > taste fine. but these are glass bottles, don't know about plastic.
    > myraide

    My parents used to buy it by the gallon (usually several), divide it
    amongst pint jars and pressure can it. They always said that maple syrup
    could go sour once opened. I dunno.

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  8. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    We've bought Costco authentic maple syrup for a long time. It's usually
    from Canada, if I'm not mistaken. I've kept it in the fridge for a year,
    I'm almost certain. Their bottles are getting smaller than they used to be,
    so it's not as much of a problem.
    But with the brand I'm buying from Whole Foods (suggested by a poster here),
    I prefer it.
    http://www.shadymaple.ca/en/
    I can tell you, it doesn't last anytime.
    Dee Dee

  9. Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?
    >

    > > [email protected] wrote:
    > >> I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    > >>
    > >> But that stuff is expensive.
    > >>
    > >> Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > >> syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > >> it all.
    > >>
    > >> Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > >> If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    > > i have kept it in glass bottles for close to a year and it seems to
    > > taste fine. but these are glass bottles, don't know about plastic.
    > > myraide

    > My parents used to buy it by the gallon (usually several), divide it
    > amongst pint jars and pressure can it. They always said that maple syrup
    > could go sour once opened. I dunno.

    Nay, it can get a bit of mould on it but it does not go sour, at least
    in my experience. This may depend on how boiled down the syrup is
    however. We tended to either make our own or but from a neighbour and
    the quality was high (i.e. lots of sugar since the sap was boiled down
    (reduced) a lot.

    Skiming off the mould use to work but I might hesitate now.
    John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

  10. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Wayne Boatwright" <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Wed 22 Feb 2006 09:59:45a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Myraide?
    >

    >> [email protected] wrote:
    >>> I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >>>
    >>> But that stuff is expensive.
    >>>
    >>> Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    >>> syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    >>> it all.
    >>>
    >>> Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    >>> If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    >> i have kept it in glass bottles for close to a year and it seems to
    >> taste fine. but these are glass bottles, don't know about plastic.
    >> myraide

    > My parents used to buy it by the gallon (usually several), divide it
    > amongst pint jars and pressure can it. They always said that maple syrup
    > could go sour once opened. I dunno.
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

    Reminding me of the old saying: Beans go sour in 3 days. (As well as, fish
    and relatives go bad in 3 days.)
    I dunno, either.
    How do these things get started -- there must be some truth in them.
    Dee Dee

  11. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >But with the brand I'm buying from Whole Foods (suggested by a poster here),
    >I prefer it.
    >http://www.shadymaple.ca/en/
    >I can tell you, it doesn't last anytime.
    >Dee Dee

    It doesn't last in that you consume it so quickly?

    Or cause it goes bad quickly?

  12. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:scapv1148kb68q0s6mjselllre347g960e[email protected]
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>But with the brand I'm buying from Whole Foods (suggested by a poster
    >>here),
    >>I prefer it.
    >>http://www.shadymaple.ca/en/
    >>I can tell you, it doesn't last anytime.
    >>Dee Dee

    > It doesn't last in that you consume it so quickly?
    >
    > Or cause it goes bad quickly?

    THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:
    What I meant to say is, it gets eaten so quickly - actually we have to hold
    ourselves back. We have some Costco left, and DH gets to eat that on 1 or 2
    pancakes/or waffles as he always harrumphs and says that the more expensive
    brand is too good for him, and then he uses the shadymaple. (You know, like
    the piano player saving the best to the last so it can be remembered.)
    So far it hasn't had the chance to go bad.
    The thick style spread of this brand is quite expensive, but I've not opened
    it yet. It sits on the table a-waiting.
    Dee Dee

  13. Anita Amaro

    Anita Amaro Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    We make 3 or 4 gallons a year on our land. We do it in a sugar shack, the
    whole bit. I BWB it and store in in the root cellar. It lasts for years that
    way. Left opened and unattended for a period of time in the fridge it will
    sometimes get a bit of mould. Skimming and reboiling fixes that. I have had
    some go rancid once opened (one half pint, who knows how long it was hiding
    in the back of the fridge).

    You can also freeze it with no discernable degradation.

    I always store in glass.

    Anita

  14. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote

    > But with the brand I'm buying from Whole Foods (suggested by a poster
    > here), I prefer it. http://www.shadymaple.ca/en/
    > I can tell you, it doesn't last anytime.

    That's the brand I buy from my supermarket, Dee.

    nancy

  15. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> But with the brand I'm buying from Whole Foods (suggested by a poster
    >> here), I prefer it. http://www.shadymaple.ca/en/
    >> I can tell you, it doesn't last anytime.

    > That's the brand I buy from my supermarket, Dee.
    >
    > nancy

    Supermarket! You must have one heck-uva supermarket! Lucky you -- I may
    move there! Lordy, lordy, I looked for a long time before I found this at
    Whole Foods in Baltimore, which is abt. 130 miles from me and I won't be
    going back until September. Is your market a chain -- if so, will you tell
    me what it is?
    Thanks,
    Dee Dee

  16. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> That's the brand I buy from my supermarket, Dee.
    >>
    >> nancy
    >>

    > Supermarket! You must have one heck-uva supermarket! Lucky you -- I may
    > move there! Lordy, lordy, I looked for a long time before I found this
    > at Whole Foods in Baltimore, which is abt. 130 miles from me and I won't
    > be going back until September. Is your market a chain -- if so, will you
    > tell me what it is?

    Perhaps it's not the type you buy, though ... just the brand, I
    wasn't paying close enough attention ... it's just Acme, an Albertson's
    store.

    nancy

  17. "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    better?

  18. "Anita Amaro" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >You can also freeze it with no discernable degradation.

    Really?! I will try that! Thanks!

    >I always store in glass.

    This stuff from Costco come in a plastic jug I think

  19. Kswck

    Kswck Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I like real maple syrup on waffles in the AM
    >
    > But that stuff is expensive.
    >
    > Costco sells a BIG plastic container of real Maple
    > syrup but living alone it would take time for me to use
    > it all.
    >
    > Bottom line.... will maple syrup keep say a year OK?
    > If yes should it be at room temp or kept in the fridge?

    better off buying a smaller container. It keeps longer in glass, but a BIG
    plastic container is probably just wasting money for one.

  20. Dee Randall

    Dee Randall Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]
    > "Dee Randall" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>THANK YOU! for letting me clarify:

    > So you really feel the organic brand is that much
    > better?

    Do a google on rec.food.cooking with the brand I mentioned. You will find
    a poster's recommendation and why he recommends this brand. I felt that he
    had something of interest to say and I am satisfied and will buy this brand
    as long as I live, unless they change it.

    I don't know about organic in general for everything. I'm only addressing
    this particular brand of maple syrup. DH & I both agree.
    Thanks.
    Dee Dee