How long should a beginners starter route be?

Jamiezx9r

Jun 10, 2010
I'm just getting started into the road cycling, and I currently do a set circuit of flats, some steep hills, and downhills. The route is about 10km max, as I'm not road fit enough yet to extend it. My time for the route in the dry and wet is 23 minutes. Not very good but its a start....

I know some of you will scoff at this time, and say I'm very unfit, but my job as a truck driver & mechanic doesn't help either, as I do some extremely long unsocialable hours, and getting time out on a pedal bike is reserved for weekends. By the time I come home from work its way too late, and all I want to do is get washed, eat dinner (at 9pm) then sleep for 6 hours before I've to start again..:mad::mad:

Jamiezx9r said:
I'm just getting started into the road cycling, and I currently do a set circuit of flats, some steep hills, and downhills. The route is about 10km max, as I'm not road fit enough yet to extend it. My time for the route in the dry and wet is 23 minutes. Not very good but its a start....

I know some of you will scoff at this time, and say I'm very unfit, but my job as a truck driver & mechanic doesn't help either, as I do some extremely long unsocialable hours, and getting time out on a pedal bike is reserved for weekends. By the time I come home from work its way too late, and all I want to do is get washed, eat dinner (at 9pm) then sleep for 6 hours before I've to start again..:mad::mad:

All of us started as unfit, some started as unfit then got fit then became unfit again and started all over to become fit again, so your perfectly normal and I for one, as well as others here will not be scoffing you!

I have a friend who is a truck driver so I know the kind of hours you work. I also think those hours you can legally work are too long and there are very tired truckers on the road.

The only thing you can do is ride on the weekends like you do and someday you find another job and work less hours. But I understand your probably raising a family and have financial obligations, so to quit and find a job with less hours may not be possible to later in life.

The only thing you can do is on the weekends reserve 2 days, Friday and Sunday for example and ride the 10k your doing now and slowly raise it 1K per week and see if that works. The only other thing you can do is to (once you pay off some bills and don't occur new ones) is to do either truck driving or mechanic work and that will free up some time for you.

BUT, please don't sacrifice your family time on the weekends to go ride a bike, your not home enough, so spend quality time with the family. Some things are more important then riding a bike.

Jamiezx9r said:

How long should a beginners starter route be? As long as you want to be out to have some fun and get some enjoyment from it.

If you decide that you like going out on the weekends and want to go a little faster, then getting an indoor trainer to put the bike on and riding a few nights a week for even 20 or 30 minutes hard on a regular basis will help enormously. It doesn't have to be anything fancy either. Craigslist or eBay is good for getting stuff on the cheap.

If all you want to do is go out, ride the bike and smell a bit of fresh air then that's all good too.

I don't know what your physical condition is? or what kind of bike you ride. but you're off to a good start I'd say. I also use a 10k as one of my main measures of progress.

just to give you an example. in march when i was more than 20lbs heavier than today. I started my training. I was doing the 10k in the 23min range. sure enough....the times started to drop...and drop.....and drop...

i'm now down to a 17:02 as my fastest. Actually did a 15something...but i won't count that as i had a tailwind the whole way!!!

Just keep at it. ride as much as you can. time permitting. and as long as your body will allow. If you're feeling good on a particular day, push it. go farther and faster. i try to tell some buddies. even if you can get out for 20-30mins. DO IT....

I have a family too. So i try and sneak in lots of 30mins sessions. often at night when they've gone to bed. just keep at it.....you're bound to improve.