General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

How long should good shoes last?

Started by Ignoramus3739 · · Last activity · 5 posts · 4,573 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
30 September 2003
Last activity
4 November 2003
Original author
Ignoramus3739
Posts
5
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
4,573
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–5 of 5
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would like
    to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall apart. My
    walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of constant wear.
    They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question is, for how long
    should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on asphalt and concrete.

    thanks

    i

  2. "Ignoramus3739" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would
    like to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall
    apart. My walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of
    constant wear. They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question
    is, for how long should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on asphalt
    and concrete.

    If you're walking 100 minutes every day, and you're walking a 20 minute mile (you may walk faster,
    but you didn't say so I'm making a conservative estimate) you're walking five miles a day. Five
    miles a day for 100 days is 500 miles -- about what a decent walking shoe should last. So, after
    three months, you haven't quite walked 100 days -- if you're walking faster than 3 mph you've still
    walked at least 500 miles! Replace the shoes already!

    I've found that buying two pairs of shoes and alternating makes both pairs of shoes last longer. It
    takes more than 24 hours for the cushioning to "spring back." And walking shoes may be better for
    you than hiking shoes, which aren't really made to walk on concrete.

    Hope this helps,

    Ruby

  3. In article said:


    "Ignoramus3739" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would
    like to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall
    apart. My walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of
    constant wear. They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question
    is, for how long should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on
    asphalt and concrete.

    If you're walking 100 minutes every day, and you're walking a 20 minute mile (you may walk faster,
    but you didn't say so I'm making a conservative estimate)

    your estimate is correct. I am not a fast walker.

    Quoted message said:

    you're walking five miles a day. Five miles a day for 100 days is 500 miles -- about what a decent
    walking shoe should last. So, after three months, you haven't quite walked 100 days -- if you're
    walking faster than 3 mph you've still walked at least 500 miles! Replace the shoes already!

    Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
    apart, but thanks for your reassurance.

    I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
    Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

    i

    Quoted message said:

    I've found that buying two pairs of shoes and alternating makes both pairs of shoes last longer.
    It takes more than 24 hours for the cushioning to "spring back." And walking shoes may be better
    for you than hiking shoes, which aren't really made to walk on concrete.

    Hope this helps,

    Ruby

  4. Replace your shoes *before* you really need to. Your feet will thank you in the long run (walk).

    I have replaced "perfectly good" shoes, and been surprised to find how much more comfy the new ones
    were compared to the old "perfectly good" ones.

    If you think alternating shoes is complicated, try having foot problems due to not taking care of
    your feet or seeing to it that you have good, properly fitting, supportive shoes. Surely you can
    think of some system -- purple shoes on MWF, green on TTS, or whatever. bj

    "Ignoramus16314" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
    apart, but thanks for your reassurance.

    I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
    Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

  5. Your email address: [email hidden] Send to Group(s): (separate multiple groups with commas)

    email a copy to me Subject:

    Your message: If you are an avid walker, good walking shoes are very important. It could mean the
    difference between heal spurs, corns, fallen arches or just plan foot soreness. You need to replace
    your shoes every three months if you walk every day for an extended amount of time. Even if your
    shoes do not look worn out, the chances are they are worn out inside. This is when foot problems
    occur. I have been walking for several years and have learned a good pair of shoes makes all the
    differene in the world. I agree with you bj. Don't wait until they are falling apart. Your feet and
    body with thank you. Diane "bj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Replace your shoes *before* you really need to. Your feet will thank you in the long run (walk).

    I have replaced "perfectly good" shoes, and been surprised to find how much more comfy the new
    ones were compared to the old "perfectly good" ones.

    If you think alternating shoes is complicated, try having foot problems due to not taking care of
    your feet or seeing to it that you have good, properly fitting, supportive shoes. Surely you can
    think of some system -- purple shoes on MWF, green on TTS, or whatever. bj

    "Ignoramus16314" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
    apart, but thanks for your reassurance.

    I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
    Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

    "bj" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:<[email hidden]>...

    Quoted message said:

    Replace your shoes *before* you really need to. Your feet will thank you in the long run (walk).

    I have replaced "perfectly good" shoes, and been surprised to find how much more comfy the new
    ones were compared to the old "perfectly good" ones.

    If you think alternating shoes is complicated, try having foot problems due to not taking care of
    your feet or seeing to it that you have good, properly fitting, supportive shoes. Surely you can
    think of some system -- purple shoes on MWF, green on TTS, or whatever. bj

    "Ignoramus16314" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    "]news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
    apart, but thanks for your reassurance.

    I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
    Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.