How long should good shoes last?

Ignoramus3739

Guest
I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would like
to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall apart. My
walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of constant wear.
They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question is, for how long
should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on asphalt and concrete.

thanks

"Ignoramus3739" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would
> like to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall
> apart. My walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of
> constant wear. They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question
> is, for how long should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on asphalt
> and concrete.

If you're walking 100 minutes every day, and you're walking a 20 minute mile (you may walk faster,
but you didn't say so I'm making a conservative estimate) you're walking five miles a day. Five
miles a day for 100 days is 500 miles -- about what a decent walking shoe should last. So, after
three months, you haven't quite walked 100 days -- if you're walking faster than 3 mph you've still
walked at least 500 miles! Replace the shoes already!

I've found that buying two pairs of shoes and alternating makes both pairs of shoes last longer. It
takes more than 24 hours for the cushioning to "spring back." And walking shoes may be better for
you than hiking shoes, which aren't really made to walk on concrete.

Hope this helps,

Ruby

In article <[email protected]>, Ruby Villavicencio wrote:

> "Ignoramus3739" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I walk at least 100 minutes per day every day. I have these hiking shoes from walmart. I would
>> like to know what is considered a normal timeframe within which "good" shoes should not fall
>> apart. My walmart shoes already have about an inch long crack in the sole, after 3 months of
>> constant wear. They might last for a while longer, they are still wearable etc. But my question
>> is, for how long should I expect decent shoes to last, given my walking regimen. I walk on
>> asphalt and concrete.
>
> If you're walking 100 minutes every day, and you're walking a 20 minute mile (you may walk faster,
> but you didn't say so I'm making a conservative estimate)

your estimate is correct. I am not a fast walker.

> you're walking five miles a day. Five miles a day for 100 days is 500 miles -- about what a decent
> walking shoe should last. So, after three months, you haven't quite walked 100 days -- if you're
> walking faster than 3 mph you've still walked at least 500 miles! Replace the shoes already!

Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
apart, but thanks for your reassurance.

I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

> I've found that buying two pairs of shoes and alternating makes both pairs of shoes last longer.
> It takes more than 24 hours for the cushioning to "spring back." And walking shoes may be better
> for you than hiking shoes, which aren't really made to walk on concrete.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Ruby

Replace your shoes *before* you really need to. Your feet will thank you in the long run (walk).

I have replaced "perfectly good" shoes, and been surprised to find how much more comfy the new ones
were compared to the old "perfectly good" ones.

If you think alternating shoes is complicated, try having foot problems due to not taking care of
your feet or seeing to it that you have good, properly fitting, supportive shoes. Surely you can
think of some system -- purple shoes on MWF, green on TTS, or whatever. bj

"Ignoramus16314" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Makes sense. I will wait a little more, I usually replace shoes when they start really falling
> apart, but thanks for your reassurance.
>
> I already bought identical replacements, will start wearing them when these ones fall apart.
> Alternating shoes is too complicated for me...

Your email address: [email protected] Send to Group(s): (separate multiple groups with commas)

email a copy to me Subject:

Your message: If you are an avid walker, good walking shoes are very important. It could mean the
difference between heal spurs, corns, fallen arches or just plan foot soreness. You need to replace
your shoes every three months if you walk every day for an extended amount of time. Even if your
shoes do not look worn out, the chances are they are worn out inside. This is when foot problems
occur. I have been walking for several years and have learned a good pair of shoes makes all the
differene in the world. I agree with you bj. Don't wait until they are falling apart. Your feet and
news:<[email protected]>...