Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

How long should rings/crankset last?

Started by FinallyInFortC · · Last activity · 1 post · 963 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
31 July 2012
Last activity
31 July 2012
Original author
FinallyInFortC
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
963
Views / 30 days
0
Topics
GT

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I bought a 2012 GT Karakoram 1.0 a few months ago and I've put about 600 miles on my bike. The shop is telling me the three rings on the crankset need to be replaced. The crankset is a FSA Gamma Drive Mega Exo 42/32/24T, and the two smallest rings are steel. The shop suggested I'm probably hard on cranksets. The crankset on the bike I've just replaced with the Karakoram is a Shimano with a steel granny ring and two aluminum rings. It at least 3000 miles on it and appears in good shape. The crankset the Shimano replaced was an original for my previous bike and it lasted several thousand miles. Doesn't it seem to be way too early to be replacing the entire crankset? Especially considering my previous record with cranksets. Does FSA have a quality issue? Did I get a bum set? Is there an issue with the GT bike or is there any other explanation for the short life of this crankset?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.