How long to bed in Avid Disc brakes?

Me

Guest
Hi guys,

I'm new to the disc brake thing so I have a few questions...

Just put a new set of avid mechanical disc brakes on my mtb.

How many miles (say 40pc offroad / 60 onroad) before the pads bed in?

Do I really need to do the 30 start/ stops like I've been reading? or
will normal wear do the same thing.

cheers.

Me wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm new to the disc brake thing so I have a few questions...
>
> Just put a new set of avid mechanical disc brakes on my mtb.
>
> How many miles (say 40pc offroad / 60 onroad) before the pads bed in?
>
> Do I really need to do the 30 start/ stops like I've been reading? or
> will normal wear do the same thing.
>
> cheers.

my experience with avids was awful. they never truly bedded in, were
constantly needing adjustment and had terrible modulation. i called
avid and was told pretty much the same as you're saying - that they
needed to bed in. after a couple of really scary 6 mile descents and
they still weren't working properly, i abandoned them for hydraulics and
was delighted to find they worked perfectly right out of the box, no
bedding in, and great modulation.

bottom line: if you just ride on road, avids are adequate. if you ride
mountain, particularly on sloping loose-pack where you need good
sustained stopping power combined with perfect modulation control,
hydraulics are the only way to go.