How long to recover after giving blood?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Crankshaw, Jul 1, 2003.

  1. I gave a pint of blood 6 days ago. At the weekly time trial, my time is slower. Is this due to the
    missing millions of red blood cells? When will they recover?

    Tags:

  2. Kenbhart

    Kenbhart Guest

    My wife gave blood on 9/11.

    We figured 4-6 weeks of degraded performance, based on

    perceived exertion, perceived fatigue, general feeling, and actual riding....

    Since I ride regularly with my wife, we are similar in skill set... 4 weeks after 9-11, we did the
    hilly hundred, and I rode away from her. Something that would never normally happen.

    In article <[email protected]>, "John Crankshaw"
    <[email protected]> writes:

    >I gave a pint of blood 6 days ago. At the weekly time trial, my time is slower. Is this due to the
    >missing millions of red blood cells? When will they recover?
    | Ken B Hart @ aol.com |

  3. Nobodyman

    Nobodyman Guest

    On Tue, 01 Jul 2003 10:54:30 GMT, "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I gave a pint of blood 6 days ago. At the weekly time trial, my time is slower. Is this due to the
    >missing millions of red blood cells? When will they recover?

    The average time to replace what you gave up when you donated whole blood is between four and
    six weeks.

    If you are just donating plasma, you usually recover what you lost within a day or two.

  4. "John Crankarm" <[email protected]> writes:

    > I gave a pint of blood 6 days ago. At the weekly time trial, my time is slower. Is this due to the
    > missing millions of red blood cells? When will they recover?

    What? No smarmy comments about boosting in this thread?

    -Gerard

  5. Alison

    Alison Guest

    Gerard Lanois <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > "John Crankarm" <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    > > I gave a pint of blood 6 days ago. At the weekly time trial, my time is slower. Is this due to
    > > the missing millions of red blood cells? When will they recover?

    Just last week I commuted 10 miles to work on the fixed gear, gave blood at lunchtime, commuted
    home, hopped on the good bike, rode to the local crit, raced 35 miles, and was there for the bunch
    sprint (which I didn't win). But I felt fine.

    Ali