How long to replensih calories?

quilkin

May 29, 2013
Strava tells me I've used maybe 2000 calories on a ride. (I know that isn't very accurate and other tools will give different results, but that doesn't matter for this question). 2000 cals is twice normal daily intake, so I need to eat more to replenish what I've used.
I certainly don't eat 2000 cals during the ride (one cake and some coffee). So my question is, over what sort of period would a typical body take to replenish those used calories? Would I expect to be eating more (i.e. hungrier than usual) for one day? 3 days? More?
If it helps with an answer, I'm 60kg and 175 cm, and don't seem to put on any weight whatever I eat (lucky me).

To be honest most people are looking at the numbers more then what their bodies are telling them. If you are hungry then eat. If you're thirsty, then get some water. Why does it have to be quantified? I can tell you right now if there were a panel of expert that took all of the info that you submitted and came back with answer for you, it's going to be different across the board. There is no best answer out there. The only expert advice you need to follow is how you feel.

Reactions: BikeBikeBikeBike
adfnio said:
To be honest most people are looking at the numbers more then what their bodies are telling them. If you are hungry then eat. If you're thirsty, then get some water. Why does it have to be quantified? I can tell you right now if there were a panel of expert that took all of the info that you submitted and came back with answer for you, it's going to be different across the board. There is no best answer out there. The only expert advice you need to follow is how you feel.
This is true. Only you know when your body needs fuel. If your body needs it go fill it up. Why do you need to ask other people if you need fuel?

Everybody has a different metabolism rate. You can drive yourself nuts and waste a lot of time chasing calories. Unless you have a very specific medical or dietary need why do it?

You burned 2000 calories on a ride. Well according to your weight and height you burn that just getting up doing nothing. If you are going to burn that much a day your calorie intake should roughly be around 4000 calories a day. A male who just does moderate exercise of like a half an hour to an hour would need at least 3,000 calories a day. But when you do long distance like what you are talking about you need to bump it up. The carbs the night before will get used up on the next days ride. It's just good to stay consistent with your caloric intake on a daily basis within the time frame and stick to it. Just keep it up even if you take a day to rest. I wouldn't cut a day more than 500 calories less or your body won't be happy.
People on this thread are saying you don't need to worry about it or need to ask. Well you kind do. If you are going to go all out it's good to know roughly how many calories you should have. It's like are you going to run your car on empty? No you'll fill it up. Once I learned proper caloric intake for working out I noticed a huge difference in performance. I basically always ate enough when working out a lot overall but once I understood caloric intake. Hands down it makes a big difference no matter what you are attempting to achieve. Even if you are just trying to loose a little weight and stay in shape. Athlete level its kind of a must or you will be tearing yourself up.