How long to take off training before a race?

Patrick88

Aug 25, 2004
I have been exprimenting lately and am not sure how long I should be taking off before I race. Some say one thing, some say another. How long do you guys take off?

Patrick88 said:
I have been exprimenting lately and am not sure how long I should be taking off before I race. Some say one thing, some say another. How long do you guys take off?

I take the day before the race as a rest day. Works for me.

Depends how important the race is to you.

If its a big objective then take at least a day, maybe 2, and taper your training that week to reduce volume - though not necessarily intensity.

If its just something youre riding for training then taking the day before, with noi modification to your training, should be the sensible compromise.

robkit said:
Depends how important the race is to you.

If its a big objective then take at least a day, maybe 2, and taper your training that week to reduce volume - though not necessarily intensity.

If its just something youre riding for training then taking the day before, with noi modification to your training, should be the sensible compromise.

It also depends how old your are. A 24-hour layoff may work for a young athlete, but as you get older the body takes longer to replenish itself.

I tend to go with Friel's admonition not to rest the day before a race, but the day before that (eg. Sunday race, take Friday off the bike) and the day prior to the race do maybe 45 min with a couple of short race-pace efforts thrown in.

But I'd tend to agree that there should be a taper in the week of the race, not in intensity, but in volume.

Eat lots, too! :D

Everyone is different. I tried to take a full week off without any riding before a race. It was not good. Like my body went into a coma and the race intensity was a shock to my body (running nose, coughing, stomach issue, and etc). Now, I set my limited time off the bike to 2 days the most. A day or two days prior I try to do some easy riding.

Patrick88 said:

I'll second Catabolic's post. I've had a CTS coach for a while (we're in our second racing season together) and he always schedules a ride with some short hard intervals for the day before a race. The ride is relatively easy and short (I raced today, yesterday was 1.5 hours, with 2x1minute flat-out intervals in a moderate gear; the ride, excluding the intervals, was zone2 intensity max). Two days before the race is very easy or completely off the bike. Unless its an "A" race (one of the season priority races, like a state championship) that's the only adjustment; for an "A" race we taper during the week, but still have the pre-race-day ride. I'm no expert, but many coaches talk about the need for a few hard intervals the day before a race "to open up the legs" (whatever that really means!).

in general it's always best to ride the day before a race - nice n easy spin, with a few brief efforts. two days before a race is often used as a complete rest day.

the remaining part of the week(s) will depend on how important the race is (training race, little importance, major importance, etc) and should be adjusted accordingly.

additionally, it's important to keep your glycogen stores topped up - generally by eating the same amount as normal but reducing your workload, as you'll want to go into a race fully loaded with glycogen

ric

ric_stern/RST said:
in general it's always best to ride the day before a race - nice n easy spin, with a few brief efforts. two days before a race is often used as a complete rest day.

the remaining part of the week(s) will depend on how important the race is (training race, little importance, major importance, etc) and should be adjusted accordingly.

additionally, it's important to keep your glycogen stores topped up - generally by eating the same amount as normal but reducing your workload, as you'll want to go into a race fully loaded with glycogen

ric

Ric,

This is entirely personal and since I don't have a power meter I have no objective measure in a very literal since, but I tend to fine I race fine after a rest day as long as I have a good (longer than normal) warmup or the race starts slow. What are the reasons one should ride the day before a race and does what I describe make sense within that logic? I now convince myself to ride the day before because it's accepted wisdom. I tell myself I should make sure my bike works perfectly. :)

Roadie_scum said:
Ric,

This is entirely personal and since I don't have a power meter I have no objective measure in a very literal since, but I tend to fine I race fine after a rest day as long as I have a good (longer than normal) warmup or the race starts slow. What are the reasons one should ride the day before a race and does what I describe make sense within that logic? I now convince myself to ride the day before because it's accepted wisdom. I tell myself I should make sure my bike works perfectly. :)

Some people may find it better to have a rest day, and indeed i sometimes prescribe a rest day prior to a race -- however, in the latter that is usually because someone may have raced for a couple of days, then have a 'spare' day and then be racing again.

Personally, i have used both (train easy the day before and rest the day before). i feel more confident in my bike if i train the day before and test it out -- this is more apparent if i'm swapping wheels etc. on the other hand, if you train the day before, and do some brief efforts (say up to 60-secs) at race pace, and then consume carbs there's evidence to show that you can increase muscle and liver glycogen over resting the day before and eating the same amount.

A good warm up can be essential for some people.

i have often tried to get races to start slow and stay slow, but for reason not everyone's keen to do that ;) (i've also tried and succeeded in going from the gun!).

ric