How Long Will New Tires Last Folded in Package?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by George, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. George

    George Guest

    I just got a new bike that came with Michelin Pro Race Tires and since I was ordering shoes and
    pedals from Nashbar and sent to the US where a friend was visiting and brought them back to me in
    Canada, I added a pair of the same tires to the order to keep for the time when I will need to
    change tires.

    How long will folded new tires keep without degrading or drying out?

    Do I keep them folded in the original package or do I unfold them and store them somewhere else?

    Tags:

  2. Terry Morse

    Terry Morse Guest

    George wrote:

    > How long will folded new tires keep without degrading or drying out?

    If kept away from ozone or UV rays: longer than you will.

    Keep them out of the sun and in a plastic bag.

  3. John Everett

    John Everett Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:57:34 -0400, George <[email protected]> wrote:

    >How long will folded new tires keep without degrading or drying out?
    >
    >Do I keep them folded in the original package or do I unfold them and store them somewhere else?

    For what it's worth, for years I rode with a spare Michelin folded just like it came in the
    package and bungeed to the seatstays of my bike. When I finally needed to use it there was no
    noticable problem.

  4. Kinkycowboy

    Kinkycowboy Guest

    On Wed, 23 Apr 2003 09:57:34 -0400, George <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I just got a new bike that came with Michelin Pro Race Tires and since I was ordering shoes and
    >pedals from Nashbar and sent to the US where a friend was visiting and brought them back to me in
    >Canada, I added a pair of the same tires to the order to keep for the time when I will need to
    >change tires.
    >
    >How long will folded new tires keep without degrading or drying out?
    >
    >Do I keep them folded in the original package or do I unfold them and store them somewhere else?

    I had some Specialized Turbo Infinity SK4 tyres in their original boxes; bought around 1992/3,
    fitted 2001, still going strong.

    Kinky Cowboy

    *Your milage may vary Batteries not included May contain traces of nuts.

  5. Max Watt

    Max Watt Guest

    George <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I just got a new bike that came with Michelin Pro Race Tires and since I was ordering shoes and
    > pedals from Nashbar and sent to the US where a friend was visiting and brought them back to me in
    > Canada, I added a pair of the same tires to the order to keep for the time when I will need to
    > change tires.
    >
    > How long will folded new tires keep without degrading or drying out?

    In an opaque container, sheilded from ultraviolet radiation, in an inert nitrogen atmosphere, near
    indefinitely.

    > Do I keep them folded in the original package or do I unfold them and store them somewhere else?

    You should put them on a bike and ride, no?

  6. George

    George Guest

    >You should put them on a bike and ride, no?

    I will when my brand new Michelin Pro Race Tires wear out.

  7. Stan Cox

    Stan Cox Guest

    "George" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > >You should put them on a bike and ride, no?
    >
    > I will when my brand new Michelin Pro Race Tires wear out.

    Ahh, in about a months time then. A club mate had a pair of these fall apart after 1000 miles
    although he may have just been unlucky. I have just discovered some Conti Grand Prix that have been
    in a cupboard for at least two years and they are on my race wheels now. I was just about to buy
    some new tyres as well :)

    Stan Cox

    P.s. The spelling tyres is correct here in England :)