How long...

YABADABADIZZLE

Jun 28, 2005
How long should i wait to take my bike to the shop for the first time for a maintenance checkup? So far, i've ridden about 400 miles and how often should i take it to the shop???
thanks
-jon

You should probably bring it in soon. You have ridden it enough to break in the components, so I'm sure there are a few adjustments to be made.

YABADABADIZZLE said:
How long should i wait to take my bike to the shop for the first time for a maintenance checkup? So far, i've ridden about 400 miles and how often should i take it to the shop???
thanks
-jon
My LBS gives a free tuneup for your new bike; they say to bring it in around 200 miles.

Do you do any maintenance on the bike yourself?

I clean the chain and the cassettes and stuff like that but not anything major.
My front derallieur won't shift up and my front wheel makes a weird squeaky noise so i'll probably bring it in soon. thanks for the input so far. How much should i pay for a maintenance checkup. I can't get it free from my LBS because i bought it used.
-jon

Much of the free tune up after purchase consists of adjusting the barrel connectors because the cables have stretched a little. It's a very easy adjustment that anybody should be able to do.

YABADABADIZZLE said:
thanks
-jon
I would do the work yourself. The Park Tool website is very helpful and for the cost of one tune up at the LBS you can pick up some of the essential tools. Plus it's the best way to really understand how everything functions on the bike. At my LBS, you have to leave your bike there for a week (stacked in a room with 100 other bikes) and pay 45-50 for a tune up. The last time they forgot to tighten the lockring on the cassette and the front derailleur needed to be adjusted a few weeks later. I won't go back there unless it's to pick up some tubes.