how low should i keep my seat?

jrizo1

Feb 13, 2008
hi i am new in road bikes i just got i new 2006 MARIN "ARGENTA" I like to know how hi or how low the seat should be? how much should i strech my legs(foot)?
thank you for your help.

You want your leg to be almost, but not completely, straight at the bottom of the pedal.

a good sort of neutral place to start is to put you heel on your pedals and you should be able to pedal backwards without your heels leaving the pedals... fore aft position so that a string with weight on it and held at the side of center of knee joint is in line with the pedal axle at 3 o'clock position... you need to do some jiggling up down back forward because when you move the pedal fore aft you move it closer and farther from the crank axle but in the end you need to end up with what i described above.

from that neutral position you can make slight adjustments to get it just right for your personal liking.. better to have the seat high a little too low than too high as you can get over use injuries from it being too high..

Hopefully, in the last year and a half, the OP was able to figure things out.

Hi..
i think you should be stay comfortable and also with the paddle so its good for also ride...

If you do the string with weight thing mentioned earlier, It should be done on a trainer after you've warmed up. It's too easy to measure from wrong saddle postion otherwise. Measure with your foot in riding position NOT with heel on pedal

doctorSpoc said:
a good sort of neutral place to start is to put you heel on your pedals and you should be able to pedal backwards without your heels leaving the pedals... fore aft position so that a string with weight on it and held at the side of center of knee joint is in line with the pedal axle at 3 o'clock position... you need to do some jiggling up down back forward because when you move the pedal fore aft you move it closer and farther from the crank axle but in the end you need to end up with what i described above.

from that neutral position you can make slight adjustments to get it just right for your personal liking.. better to have the seat high a little too low than too high as you can get over use injuries from it being too high..