How many bike shops does it take...

ninjamini

Mar 28, 2006
How many bike shops for you to pick out your new bike? I have been to 5 shops so far and I have decided to visit 1 more before making a decision. That will be six points of view 4 or 5 brands and 6-7 personalities. I have discounted 3 of the stores based on the people that work there. But I am tossed up between 3 stores. So far all three seem really nice with good personalities and good presentations. So Far I am looking at the Trek Navigator and Jamis Explorer 2.0. and Gary Fisher (aka Trek) Tiburon S.

What should I look for in a shop? Should I expect a certain # of adjustments? Should I expect a discount os accessories? Should I expect anything included water bottle/ holder...anything? Should I buy from the store with the cheapest price or the one whit the most knowledgeable salesperson who rides. Should I buy from a really fat guy? I know I know Im a really fat guy too but you don't want to eat at a restaurant with an emaciated chef who never eats. Should I buy close or far away?

What does it take to get your sale. What do you want in a bike shop.

First off, learn as much as you can about the few bikes you are really interested in. As soon as the LBS starts bullshitting you, leave.

If you are in the very rare situation that the clerk at the LBS has your interests first in his/her mind, then pick his brains for all the differentiators between the bikes you have selected. Then go home and think carefully about what you are going to use the bike for and what he/she told you.

Then, chose three bikes that you are indifferent between at (likely) different prices and then see if you can find any source for the bikes that is cheaper than the prices you have already been exposed to. Finally, go back the the clerk who was so helpful and tell him to match the lowest equivalent (relevant?) price you found on the bike he stocks that you are indifferent about. If he doesn't buy elsewhere. He had his chance.

Some will argue that this is too tough on the LBS as they have to recoup the costs of their expertise. I say that that's just too damn bad. You worked hard for your money too, and you are not going to cough it up because the LBS thinks you should.

This is what is included with the purchase of a new bike at the bike shop that I work at:
10 years of free service (includes unlimited tune ups, free flat tire service, free installation of all accessories purchased from us, and one year of free wheel trueing)
Full bike fit including body scan and manual fit on a trainer
Assembly of the bike
Free water bottle with purchase of a bottle cage

That should give you an idea of what should be included when purchasing a bike. If possible, find a bike shop where the salesmen don't work on a commision system. It keeps them from trying to talk you into something you don't want just because it costs more money.

ten years free service? is your boss on crack? how does he or she make any money?

aa9t8 said:
ten years free service? is your boss on crack? how does he or she make any money?
Good business, friendly service, and loyal customers I guess. We get quite a bit of business. The shop has been in business for just over 30 years now.

edit: heres the exact service warranty we provide, copied right from our website.

Tune-Ups: Regular routine maintenance is completely free and as often as you require. This includes adjusting bearing surfaces, brake, gear & shifting systems. External lubrication of all pivot points, cables and chain. Tightening and adjustment of all hardware.

Flat Tires: We will provide free labor on any tube or tire purchased from us for the entire 10 year warranty period.

Installation of Accessories: Provided you purchase the accessory from us, we will install it for free. Any repair, component upgrade or replacement is not considered an accessory and therefore not covered by the plan.

Wheel Truing: We will true your wheels for free for the first year.

Manufacturers Warranties: All our bicycles are covered by manufacturers warranties. Should your bike need any warranty work we will handle it at our store. Once a defect has been authorized for replacement, it will be repaired or replaced (in accordance to the manufacturers warranty), free of charge. In some cases the manufacturers allow us to charge you labor for warranty work, we will not (with the exception of frame and or fork warranty work on bicycles over two years old).

And here is a more in depth description of the basic tune-up that is included with the free service:
Adjust both hubs, adjust headset, adjust bottom bracket, adjust pedals (if serviceable), secure and lube both brake levers, lube brake cables, secure calipers, lube secure and adjust caliper pivots, adjust brake pads, center brake pads, set brake pad clearance (wheels must be true and clean to qualify for this package), lube secure and adjust shift levers, lube derailleur cables, lube and adjust derailleurs, lube chain and cassette. Secure handlebars, stem, seat post, seat, crank arms, chainrings, pedals, and accessories.

ninjamini, If I were in your shoes, and I was about 2 months ago, I would be demo riding the bikes. What good is a great bike shop if you don't like the bike. Since you've narrowed it down to three shops, try the different bikes, ask about their service contracts, including what is free and what cost extra, then buy. I went to about six bike shops, but finally concentrated on shops that sold the Specialized Rockhopper, because that was the frame I liked to ride.

too bad i have enough bikes. or i would come see ya! where the heck is new jersey? thanks for the details.

aa9t8 said:
too bad i have enough bikes. or i would come see ya! where the heck is new jersey? thanks for the details.
New Jersey is a state in the USA right next to Pennsylvania and below New York.

Man, you're making this too hard. It's a bicycle. I'd hate to be around you when you're buying a car. Go with your gut. Pick the place with the friendliest staff near your house. Chances are you aren't going to be spending a lot of time in there anyway.

There is far more information available about cars. Plus, most states have lemon laws. Also, cars don't have to "fit". Finally, a good bike can cost a good fraction of what a car costs.