How many bikes do you have?

I've got 2. A hybrid and a hybrid...well the second hybrid leans more toward a road bike. I think I
could fit another one into my apartment. I'd like to own a real road bike, keep my better roadlike
hybrid and trade in my cheap hybrid for a mtn. bike.

"MisNomer" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

"Fred" <[email protected]> brightened my day with his incisive wit when in
news:[email protected] he conjectured that:

> 4. A road bike, a hybrid, a mountain bike and a hybrid for my wife. I ride every one of them
> every week.
>
> Fred

5 rides a week? You have a lucky wife.

--
Walter Mitty.

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer <[email protected]> from Shaw Residential Internet wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Yes. The more the merrier. I'm currently working on a way to finagle a fourth -- a track bike --
from my wife. A big problem is there is no velodrome here.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace a slowly listening salami kills a dismal
wallpaper poem,

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, <[email protected]>, MisNomer
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Logically, four bikes are the absolute minimum.

Four directions, four seasons, four elements.

Road - This can be a touring, audax or racing bike. Street - For utility or commuter cycling. Dirt -
BMX, downhill, trails, XC etc. Track - This can be a track bike if you live near a velodrome or just
a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica, recumbent or other whacked out
bike all bike whackos must have.

I've eleven and now a unicycle too.
--
zk

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

> or just a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica, recumbent or other
> whacked out bike all bike whackos must have.

Which are most appropriate to ride in your local Critical Mass, which is tomorrow!

Don <donwiss at panix.com>.

MisNomer wrote:

> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Without going into too much detail about 19 bikes they are...

Good FS off road bike Cheap FS off road bike Good hardtail Cheap hardtail Urban assault hardtail
Time trial Training Commuting Folding Trials Touring Shopping Recumbent Folding Going down the pub
bike Experimental bike Singlespeed fixie Offroad singlespeed The bike I least mind getting stolen
also known as the bike that gets all the worn out or broken-and-bodged components. It currently has
1" pedla to ground clearance, so anyone riding off on it would only get to the first corner.

Don't know if these count, but: 2 unicycles (20" and 2") Front wheel + handlebars for unicycle.

Don't forget surgery to the house to store this lot.

The experimental bike gets the components I didn't like in their original configuration added to it
in not necessarily conventional ways, to see what can be made to work.

They don't all get ridden every week, but they do every year.

--
Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> MisNomer wrote:
>
> > Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?
>
> Without going into too much detail about 19 bikes they are...

.... gosh, I thought my tally of 11 was excessive ! (does you wife nag about the bikes as much as
mine does?)

Rob

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer <[email protected]> wrote:

> Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

1. Mountain bike -- Very gnarly off-road-only bike

2. Road bike -- Very aggressive pavement-only bike, also rather expensive and
aesthetically pleasing.

3. Backup road bike -- Comfortable, less agressive, old, not as light as
#2, rescued from trash on garbage day. Then I spent probably up to $80 in
parts on it...but it's a nice result for my money!

I'd like to rescue a good mountain bike, but so far they've all been a la huffy, so I fix 'em and my
friend ride them (or I give them away).

--
Rick Onanian

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 01:55:04 GMT, MisNomer <[email protected]> wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

The more the merrier. I have a recumbent, a tourer, a mountain bike and a triplet - and I want a
road bike and a recumbent trike as well
:)

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com [currently
offline awaiting ADSL transfer to new ISP]

Thu, 24 Jul 2003 06:23:29 -0400, <[email protected]>, Don Wiss
<donwiss@no_spam.com> wrote:

>>a wild card bike that might be your chopper, penny farthing replica, recumbent or other whacked
>>out bike all bike whackos must have.
>
>Which are most appropriate to ride in your local Critical Mass, which is tomorrow!

I like my fixey for CM because it's easiest for one-armed hold-ups!
--
zk

On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 13:49:53 +0000 (UTC), "RG" <[email protected]> from BT Openworld wrote:

>"Jim Price" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> MisNomer wrote:
>>
>> > Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?
>>
>> Without going into too much detail about 19 bikes they are...
>>

>.... gosh, I thought my tally of 11 was excessive ! (does you wife nag about the bikes as much as
>mine does?)

"Put your bikes up!"

Sheesh. What's wrong with bikes in the living room? At least I don't hook up the wind trainer in the
bedroom and pretend to ride the TdF when I'm watching.

--
http://home.sport.rr.com/cuthulu/ human rights = peace I wonder if I should put myself in ESCROW!!
12:43:35 PM 24 July 2003

The correct number of bikes to own is N +1, where N is equal to the current number of bikes
that you own.

Joel

MisNomer wrote:

>Its always nice to have 1 - but is 2 or 3 better?

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:

: Logically, four bikes are the absolute minimum.

Given the magnificent versatility of recumbents, I've come to think of three. You know, like Father,
Son and The Holy Spirit and all that. So here they come:

Practical recumbent: trike for commuting and touring.

All-around upright: hybrid for stuff "bents can't do". (A mountain bike might be better dunno, I do
lots of [sub]urban commuting.)

Lightning fast recumbent: for the races and speed records. Something very special, probably fully
faired and capable of 70+ km/h. Possibly able to be ridden on open road. Only exists in my dreams
so far :)

BTW I recall we did this thread last Fall :p

My answer to the question is ... too many, and not enough. I have 3 at present:

1) Fast road bike/triathlon bike
2) Utilitarian road bike/training bike
3) Touring bike with coupled frame

Just got rid of the hardtail MTB for a number of reasons. An MTB might be in the future, but due to
an injury last year it will have to be different. It may end up being a fat-tired road bike, aka a
Rivendell Atlantis or Rambouillet. Then there is the 'need' for a tandem (may push the utilitarian
bike out the door).

I find at the very least I really want 2 bikes. I found that out when I had collapsed the stable to
a single bike that had a frame problem (failure of BB shell). Took the LBS/manufacturer 12 weeks to
get a warranty replacement in my hands. Then a few months later there was a weld problem on the
frame; another 4 weeks+ without a bike. Really want that second set of wheels so I am not stranded
in the future.

- rick