How many bikes would you have if you could?

JSWin

Jul 13, 2015
How many bikes would you have if you could?
Probably its easier to collect bikes than rather than cars. Although some people enjoy collecting cars.
What bikes? How many would you have if you could? You’d probably be someone that just loved bikes to begin with.
We do collect things that we love. Its interesting how at one point in life you could loath something and then later on love it and start accumulating a lot of them.

I have 2 roadies, 1 MTB and 1 tandem.

Wife has 2 roadies, 1 hybrid and shares the tandem with me.

We had 11 bikes at one time but that was too many.

Although the wife wants another tandem. Not sure why, she just does. :D

We are roadies. There are rules.

Rule #12 //
The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.

While the minimum number of bikes one should own is three, the correct number is n+1, where n is the number of bikes currently owned. This equation may also be re-written as s-1, where s is the number of bikes owned that would result in separation from your partner.

I think two would be enough. I already have a road bike but would have in addition a mountain bike to be able to ride in more versatile terrains.

It's not about he number of bikes you ride, it's about the number of rides per bike.

My mental ticker tallies about 6 or so.....Particular models, just because I want them, and you said "if I could".

I would just go with the one I think.

All I ask is that the bike can do everything I need of it and that suites me to a tee. Even if if doesn't I could always mod it a little so it can do. So yeah just the one bike for me please.

I'd have every year of Centurion Dave Scott Ironman, so that's 5 years. I'd have every color, so that's 2 for '85, 2 for '86, 2 for the '87 Expert model, 2 for the '87 Master model, 3 for the '88 Expert, 2 for the '88 Master, and then 2 for the '89 Expert and 2 for the '89 Master. Total Ironman models: 17. Then, the '84 Turbo, '85 and '86 Prestige, '86 Facet, '85 Cinelli-made Equipe, '79 and '81 Semi Pro, for a total of 24 Centurions. Add in a 2011 Merckx EMX5, '87 Mercx Corsa Extra, '86 De Rosa Professional, and a Colnago Master X-Lite, a Wraith Hustle and a Wraith Paycheck and a Wraith single-speed, I'd be good with 31.

That's all.

I'd have every year of Centurion Dave Scott Ironman, so that's 5 years. I'd have every color, so that's 2 for '85, 2 for '86, 2 for the '87 Expert model, 2 for the '87 Master model, 3 for the '88 Expert, 2 for the '88 Master, and then 2 for the '89 Expert and 2 for the '89 Master. Total Ironman models: 17. Then, the '84 Turbo, '85 and '86 Prestige, '86 Facet, '85 Cinelli-made Equipe, '79 and '81 Semi Pro, for a total of 24 Centurions. Add in a 2011 Merckx EMX5, '87 Mercx Corsa Extra, '86 De Rosa Professional, and a Colnago Master X-Lite, a Wraith Hustle and a Wraith Paycheck and a Wraith single-speed, I'd be good with 31.

That's all.
If I had to have one, the Wraith Paycheck, with a spare set of road wheels and a set of CX wheel. No reason to have any more.

For me, I'd have to say 3 that I can think of (4 if I had a partner). Road bike, Touring (winter) bike, and a Recumbent. The 4th would be a Tandem to ride with a partner.

While I do collect cars I'm not crazy about collecting a large collection, but honestly the only reason I don't have a large collection is the lack of money to do so, I love vintage cars, I could easily be Jay Leno...sort of, he's a genius about cars I'm not. So my collection of cars has come to an end as far as adding anymore unless I found a deal that would be stupid to pass up.

So with bikes I'm the say way, I have small collection of mid level bikes from the 80's, if I had the money to waste I could see myself buying more but would probably go more towards the Italian side of the world instead of the Japanese side, but I feel the Italian side of the world wants far more money than the bikes are really worth. I test rode many Italian bikes back in the vintage days and the frames and components weren't really that good compared to the Japanese frames and components...my opinion of course.

So since we're talking the pie in the sky pipe dream, the bike collection thing would be however big of a place I could store as many bikes as I could into. Fortunately in the real world I have limitations.

Am I the only who would be fine with just one bike? I don't understand people who collect cars either though...

Am I the only who would be fine with just one bike? I don't understand people who collect cars either though...

A lot of people collect all sorts of things, from coins, to stamps, to dolls, to CD's, to video games, to movies, to fishing stuff, watches, etc, etc, etc, and I bet you collect something.

Road bike, tandem, mountain bike! You need at least 3 to really enjoy cycling. ;)

101715E_zpsxmovcvew.jpg

3623998990_b7be410168.jpg

mtb2.jpg

I saw this bike on a youtube channel called bike radar today(on youtube). I think it was called a Cannondale Slate(don't quote me on that one). Anyways, it had road bike size and appearance, but can supposedly ride well off road. I guess it would be cool to have a sleek, versatile, do everything bike. The traditional Hybrids don't really spark my interest.

Road bike, tandem, mountain bike! You need at least 3 to really enjoy cycling. ;)

3623998990_b7be410168.jpg
I love this beautiful scene, the trees along that road and the hilly place is just one of my favorite. Nothing is more inspiring for me to get out and take that ride.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I love this beautiful scene, the trees along that road and the hilly place is just one of my favorite. Nothing is more inspiring for me to get out and take that ride.

This is Big Bear California. I did a timed century event called Ride Around the Bear. I was just about to descend from Onyx Summit which tops out at 8400 ft. I had already climbed about 9,000 ft total gain and about 77 miles into the ride at this point. I had just finished enjoying about 60 miles of this same scenery on the way up. :D

TheBear_zpsfee335ef.jpg

A lot of people collect all sorts of things, from coins, to stamps, to dolls, to CD's, to video games, to movies, to fishing stuff, watches, etc, etc, etc, and I bet you collect something.

No, not really. I used to have a lot of video games, but that's because I played them a lot. I didn't have them just for the sake of collecting them.

I don't have anyone to ride tandem with so that's out... The area around me is pretty flat though with some small hills so maybe that's why I always felt like I only needed a road bike? Would like to move somewhere where I could try mountain biking, I never did that.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz