How many biking families ?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by geoinmillbrook, Jun 18, 2007.

1. geoinmillbrook

geoinmillbrook New Member

Any families out there enjoy riding ? I had one of the best father's days ever yesterday. We have a bike trail (old rail line - converted into a paved biking trail) that is near us -- it is pretty long -- about 30 miles, and it runs through some of the most beautiful scenery around. Lots of overhanging trees, shade, wild flowers, birds. etc. and it has absolutley no vehicular traffic. It was a nice day too. I noticed almost everyone riding by had a smile on their face.
    My kids normally aschew riding with us, but since it was father's day they all had to capitulate. My sister and her son were visiting and lucky we had extra bikes. All 7 of us hit the trail. Even my couch potato/Ipod listening/instant messaging/web surfing 24 hrs-a-day 3ed daughter seemed to enjoy herself. This morning she was full of questions - how far did we ride ? (17 miles), when are we going again (asap), can I get a new bike (old one too small)... it was great !
    My wife and I have friends in Germany that ride along their extensive network of trails and even take vacations that way -- and we are hoping to build up to a weeks vacation in the spring with the kids. If planned right you can ride for either long intervals or short rides and find lots of places to stay and eat. Seems ideal -- anyone ever done something like this ? I used to tour long ago (pre-kids) and can't wait to try it.

George

Tags:

2. stlblues

stlblues New Member

My family rides every chance we get. We ride the Katy trail, a converted rail bed to the tune of 244 miles long, with off runs into cities along the path to tie in thier bike systems. My kids are 8 and 10 and we have them up to 30 miles in a single run. We plan on covering the entire trail over the summer, along with trails in southern MO. Unfortunaltely, the very hot and humid weather hit early and it has reduced riding time.....think southern Fla in August. We use it as conditioning for hockey, both kids play and I coach and play drop in. We take our bikes on all but our ski vacations. We rode over 100 miles on Cape Cod and hit a good section of Vermont last year. Due to gas prices, we are covering as much of Missouri this year. This will be the kids first year to do the Tour de Jeff City, a 16 to18 mile ride at 2 am in the city. It got rained out last year and never rescheduled. I may take my son to the St Louis Moonlight ride, 20 to 50 miles in St Louis City at midnight. Riding and hockey are our main family activity and has been for years.

3. Lrac6

Lrac6 New Member

Absolutely! My wife and I love to take our son (13 months) on the Jedediah Smith Memorial Trail (aka American River Bike Trail) here in Sacramento. We take him in a Burley - he loves it.

4. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Here we are! My wife, 7 y.o. and 3 y.o. love to ride also.

The eldest rides on a Burley Piccolo ' half bike ' while I pull the 3 y.o. in her comfy Burley Solo.

Last year we vacationed by riding the Danube from Passau to Vienna.

Lots of fun, transmits the riding bug to the kids, and allows me a bit more guilt free riding (and you feel like you are flying when you get back on your race bike after towing a child trailer for an entire week!). :D

5. stlblues

stlblues New Member

We have a Burley cart, we used to use it for both the kids until they started riding themselves, so I stripped the seats out and its used for my camera equipment and cargo.

6. BanditBoyDavid

BanditBoyDavid New Member

Most defenitly does my family ride. There are four of us, and two of us ride alot (my dad and I), then my sister is next, she rides about twice a week (maybe;) ), but my mom don't ride much, but she'll do it every so often.

7. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

Me and my dad, I ride a Lemond Eatpe, he rides a vintage Rossin. He used to race, so he teaches me all the correct riding techniques

8. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

I have my family into biking. We bought my three yr. old a bike for x-mas. She rides it very well for about a mile to a mile n' a half. I then bought a gator trail that hooks her bike to mine so I can pull her when she's tired. This spring I bought my wife a bike and a trailer so she can take our 1 yr. old along. Now the four of us enjoy our rail trail route. I truly enjoy our family trips more than my road biking. We're quite a caravan when you see us.