How many hours before a race should you take B complex supplements?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by wiredued, Feb 23, 2005.

1. wiredued

wiredued New Member

How long does it take for B complex vitamins to help during a race or other grueling event like a fast club ride? How far ahead of time should they be taken?

Tags:

2. Orange Fish

Orange Fish New Member

The B vitamins won't actually have an effect if you take them before a race. For example, carbohydrate supplementation is something that will have pretty immediate benefits if taken before a race or ride, but pre-race supplementation with vitamins doesn't work the same way. There have only been a few studies that have shown Thiamin (Vitamin B1) to be of a benefit to endurance athletes. However, the results of these studies have been equivocal (split about half and half as to whether it works or does not work). More research needs to be done to determine if, in fact, there is any ergogenic benefit.

The rest of the B vitamins (B2 - Riboflavin, B6 - Pyridoxine, B12 - Cobalamins) have not been shown to have any ergogenic effect.
    Also, because there is essentially no conclusive evidence that supports using B vitamins as ergogenic aids, there is no need to schedule a time to take them. It's important to have a balanced diet, as you know, and a good multi-vitamin is always a good thing to take to make sure you're getting enough of all the vitamins and minerals. But supplementing with extra vitamins and minerals really have not shown an ergogenic effect...they help in times of deficiency, but overall do not show ergogenic benefits.

3. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

My Chemist told me to take my B12 suplement 90 minutes before strenuous exercise, with food. It reduces the level of tiredness. No increase in strenth.

4. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

As orangefish said there's no ergogenic benefit to minerals as long as you get approximately the correct amount. Your chemist is selling you something and is hoping you get a placebo reaction

ric

5. wiredued

wiredued New Member

An endurance race will create a time of deficiency in B vitamins you don't race everyday so your intake should be higher on those days its common sense.

...they help in times of deficiency, but overall do not show ergogenic benefits.[/QUOTE]

6. Orange Fish

Orange Fish New Member

Overall, you should just strive to reach the RDA's/AI's for the vitamins and minerals. That can be done through proper nutrition. But extra supplementation of vitamins won't work like supplementation with carbohydrates or protein for example. The chemist needs to get up on the literature.

7. Orange Fish

Orange Fish New Member

vitamins:)

8. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

Goodness!!! :eek: You're right, we're having building work done and my head is spinning with the noise -- that's what i'm blaming it on :D

9. Kakashi

Kakashi Active Member

I really don't think that it matters or if it can affect your racing performance. If you're taking Vitamin B complex regularly, then just take it on your regular daily schedule.

10. DenisP

DenisP Member

I worked for a nutritional supplement company for a while, so I actually have somewhat of a background in vitamins and nutrition. Let me tell you now, don't buy into the idea that taking a supplement that day (such as an energy drink with B vitamins) is going to have any effect on your performance. Vitamins need to be loaded, meaning you have to take them over a period of time before they start having an effect on your body. The B vitamins you take the day of or day before a race aren't going to impact your performance in any way.