How many hours do you sleep?

It`s logically that you will sleep more if you`re tired but no, when I`m realy tired, I can`t sleep good and long.

u are right, i think that the tiredness in the legs and body blocks a good sleep, it increases insomnia

worldgod

BlueIcarus said:
Just curious... After factoring out all posible things due to overtraining.. maybe it's because i barely
sleep 6 hours (normally between 5-6 hours). I train 1 hour/day

What do you think?

ausgirl said:
I love sleep! I think 8hrs a night is ideal for me, but when you're getting up around 4 or 4:30am its sometimes closer to 7hrs sleep. I'm also a big believer in the sunday afternoon nap for 2 or 3 hrs, after having done 100+km in the morning. This said, I'm single and don't have any kids, so i have a little bit more time to myself than some other people. :)
I wish i was single, i wish that my partner would go to bed at a desirable time where i could get 7/8hrs sleep a night, then maybe after work rather than going to sleep i would be able to ride my bike, rather than bury my head under the pillows hoping not to be disturbed by there noise.

i awaken every morning at 3:40am to get ready for work, but i have not for along time now clocked up 7 hours of sleep before going to work, since my partners kids make loads of noise and choose to go to bed a 10pm.

unfortunately my partner doesn't believe in afternoon naps, especially not on sundays when i have done 100+ miles, she'll let me go to bed alone, not the same sleeping alone is it ;) like riding alone.. ? but its gets yet another day done :D

I'm fortunate i guess because i work from home and it takes up very few hours - maybe 2 or 3 hours per day and gives me the opportunity to cat nap. And also my girlfriend has her own house and we dont live together. We both agreed ages ago that the only time we share a bed it shouldnt be to go to sleep. In any case when we do try we dont sleep - it doesnt suit us really, we get far too hot and i move around alot and she is a light sleeper and wakes easily. So i sleep in my house and she sleeps in hers and its great!

Generally I train 5 days a week and normally i get 2/3 hours sleep late afternoon and then go to sleep properly later, quite late i guess around 1/2am, normally getting around 7/8 hours of good uninterupted sleep.

Those who have problem sleeping properly should try increasing the zinc in their diet. :)

BlueIcarus said:
Just curious... After factoring out all posible things due to overtraining.. maybe it's because i barely
sleep 6 hours (normally between 5-6 hours). I train 1 hour/day

What do you think?
With College and social life, it's hard to even hit 8 and we are supoed to be getting 10 when training!

I get at least 9 hours sleep every night.After a 5 or 6 hour ride i take about two naps of twenty minutes and can easily sleep for 11 hours that night if undisturbed,I realise that that might seem excessive but I have no reason not to indulge myself,I really love sleep, and find myself super-motivated as a result of my binge sleeping.The fewer the commitments the longer the sleep.

Wow!! There sure seem to be a lot of long sleepers on the board. I personally get between 5 and 7 hours a night. 6 is the usual number I hit, with a morning wake-up call at 5:00 AM. In the summer hours when it is light out, it gives me enough time for a morning workout. And then of course the long well lit hours provide me with ample outdoor time for an evening workout. Without that one, I'd be only sleeping for 4 hours. I need to be worn out at the end of my day to enjoy any quality sleep.

CS, You need to make a s-load of noise every morning when you get up at 3:40am and wake those kids up. Then they will start going to bed earlier or learn to show a little consideration for you.
I tend to average about 7 hrs and could probably use 8.
Good Luck, Bone

closesupport said:
I wish i was single, i wish that my partner would go to bed at a desirable time where i could get 7/8hrs sleep a night, then maybe after work rather than going to sleep i would be able to ride my bike, rather than bury my head under the pillows hoping not to be disturbed by there noise.

i awaken every morning at 3:40am to get ready for work, but i have not for along time now clocked up 7 hours of sleep before going to work, since my partners kids make loads of noise and choose to go to bed a 10pm.

unfortunately my partner doesn't believe in afternoon naps, especially not on sundays when i have done 100+ miles, she'll let me go to bed alone, not the same sleeping alone is it ;) like riding alone.. ? but its gets yet another day done :D

I find that I always have better performances after a good nights sleep 2 nights before a race or training ride. The night before has never made much difference in my results. I first heard this from Greg Lemond, but then found it to be completely true for me and a lot of my athletes as well. www.the-bike-shop.com/training

WOW! What I find interesting here is that about 67% of people who took the poll, as of the time I posted, get less than 8 hours sleep! I have read alot of articles that say people in todays modern society don't get near as much sleep as they need. This poll certainly seems to support that claim.

At age 45 I need at least 8 hours to properly recover after about 12 hours of training a week, no wonder I can beat some sleep deprived 20 somethings:D . LOL

I just slept for 12 hours solid.
My problem is I work nights, up to 72 hours in one week. Often I can squeeze in 6 hours sleep by day but have to reduce to 5 on occasions in order to be able to do my training. So, when I finally get a night off, I may sleep for 12 - 14 hours.
I really wish I could work less but we can't get staff. Wish I could enjoy my cycling more but it's usually a matter of squeezing in a session before going back to work again.
Does anyone else have this problem of work dictating your life and leisure.

I'm getting around 5-8 hours during the work week, but on the weekend I get to take a nap with the wife and kid.

Sleep for less than 6 hours and eventually your body will force you to sleep more.

I've been having trouble sleeping recently; Even when trying to go to bed early I just couldn't sleep unless I was sleepy. I'd been getting less than 6 hours for the past week. Then yesterday I started to get a cold that threatened to turn into a bad cough. I took some medicine and went to bed early for the first time in 5 days.

David_Zen said:
Sleep for less than 6 hours and eventually your body will force you to sleep more.

I've been having trouble sleeping recently; Even when trying to go to bed early I just couldn't sleep unless I was sleepy. I'd been getting less than 6 hours for the past week. Then yesterday I started to get a cold that threatened to turn into a bad cough. I took some medicine and went to bed early for the first time in 5 days.
i was doing pretty much similar i started off the first 3mths with five hours sleep, then after that 3mth period my entire sleep pattern changed and i would only beable to sleep at 2.00am but i had to be up for 4.00am to set off for work, after riding home from work i would be wide awaken even though i had been tired at the end of the shift, then i'd sleep for maybe 2hrs in the afternoon, then around 5mths on it got to me and i'd go to the toilet and work collegues would find me asleep with my pants around my ankles on the toilet fast asleep snoring my brains out some 45minutes later, or even fall asleep in the middle of morning break...... lol

can you imagine the laughs they had at my expense, mr Sleepy

However i never really got bothered with cold since i take adition vitamin B complexes and consume rather alot of calories, i have noticed however i usually come down with colds or illnesses if my calorie consumtion alters for a few days or so and i loose my appettite.

got to agree with the never get enough sleep when the kids are about though.

Afternoon sleep - I just love it! After the school, on the sofa in front of TV, ... it`s the same as chocolate! Not reommendable, not prohibitet, hardly ever and so good!:D

Virenque said:
Afternoon sleep - I just love it! After the school, on the sofa in front of TV, ... it`s the same as chocolate! Not reommendable, not prohibitet, hardly ever and so good!:D
yip! sleeping in the afternoon i'd rather say its like sex you feel great when you've had it, and **** when you can't get any.....

:D :D :D

This is INTERESTING - I had a English classic car magazine some years ago. It had a feature on a E Type Jag(manual V12 - imagine the power!) that a guy had restored from a burnt out beast. He did it in about 7 months. How?
He only gets about 1 - 2 hours sleep a night!
He had a regular job too.
I was amazed but, and it's a big butt, it'll come back to haunt him as we need much more than that for our emotions, mentally and physically to stay in good shape over the long term.
It's 9;56PM here in Auckland, New Zealand - time to hit the hay!!
Paulo

I never get less than 8 hours sleep and often around 10hours. I couldn't function without that much sleep. I'm ussually in bed at 10:30pm and up at 7:30am.