How many hours do you sleep?

I usually get 2-3 hours during the week.I am not tired during the day and on weekends I get 8-10 hours unless I am called in to work.I train between 1-3 hours a day.Usually on a trainer because it has been pretty cold lately.

Time and Time management is something that I am very interested in and have tried to maximise in my life.

I sleep about 6 hours a night.
I find that I am rested fully after six hours sleep.

I used to be more lax and wouldn't use my time productively but every second of every single day is precious and I have adopted this approach to sleep and time management.
As they say if you want something done, ask the busy man to do it.

from my own experience, sleep is crucial to recupe from riding and training to ride, as this is when you adapt from overload.
when i get only 6 hrs sleep i can kiss progress goodbye. what a waste, fooling ourselves thinking we can get return on riding investment without rebuilding the inventory.
i have also noticed that when sleep hrs are not consistent, peaking or even having a good day is hit or miss. sure, sometimes i hit a peak, but cannot evaluate the training cause and effect from lack of recupe.
i mentioned the training triangle concept, three sides: training, nutrition, and recuperation. let any one side get (too) unequal and you might as well turn into a zombie.

BlueIcarus said:
Just curious... After factoring out all posible things due to overtraining.. maybe it's because i barely
sleep 6 hours (normally between 5-6 hours). I train 1 hour/day

What do you think?

A half a mg of melatonin, and 100mg of valerian root is the best way (for me)to deal with my tendency toward insomia.

No hangover, no residuals, and taken for just one night, will stave off the curse for a week or more.

YMMV.

Grant Orchard said:
Don't know how scientifically true it is but that's been my experience and what I preach to others.

Grant
My experience as well. I can tell when Im in shape and out of shape, just by how I sleep. In shape, Im in bed at 12 and up at 6. Im asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, and awake without an alarm. My roommate says you could set a clock by my body (yeah, Im a college student too). When I wasnt in shape, I would go to bed earlier and get up later, and not feel as rested. Your mileage may vary...

6 to 7.

But when 6 I am not fully rested, tired all day,
can not concentrate, etc.
I also notice I sleep much better after a lot of physical
excercise.

I find that the most important aspect of sleep for me is consistency. Oddly enough, during my best year of racing I was averaging 5 to 6 hours of sleep a night (off to bed at 2am, up at 7 to 8am).

In the last couple of years I've been averaging between 6 and 9 hours per night, and a lot of the time I feel *more* tired and groggy during the day.

So for me at least, consistency and regular sleep patterns is more important than sheer volume of sleep. I do think 6 to 7 hours a night is optimal for me, everything else equal.