How many listen to music while they ride???

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by Voda48, Apr 20, 2005.

1. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

If I do listen to music during rides, I try to keep the sound levels as low as possible. It should be low enough that I can be aware of what is happening to my current surroundings. It should be a background music at most and the sound level should be low. It is dangerous to adjust the sound to higher levels because it could lead to road accidents.

2. DenisP

DenisP Member

I generally don't like to listen to music when I ride, because I feel that it is risky behavior. It also depends on where I'm riding, though. If I'm riding on the roads, where I need to share the space with other cyclists, pedestrians, and motorists, then I keep the headphones off. Situational awareness is key when riding, so I don't want to be distracted by music.

If I'm alone in the forest and just doing some mountain biking, I might put on a bit of music sometimes since the risk factors are way lower, but I generally prefer to just listen to the sounds of the forest.

3. treecko142

treecko142 Member

I listen sometimes to music with earphones but I only put one and adjust the volume just enough so that I can still pay attention to my surroundings.

4. reighn

reighn Member

I do listen to music while riding, and I'm using headset, but the sound is just enough to hear the other things around me. It's really hard to turn it out loud, you might be get in an accident for being not aware to your surroundings.

5. Kevin Abbot

Kevin Abbot New Member

When I do my morning runs at 5:30 no one else is on the trail so I listen to hype music as that’s when I go hard. On my weekend 100 milers I try to but trail can get busy. I wish I could blast music in my ears because it helps you go/feel fast

6. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

When you have an earphone while riding, you will not have 100% focus on the road because the music will interfere in your thoughts. If you had seen the news report a month ago, that is a neat lesson to be learned by music lovers. One rider with a headphone was traversing a side street when a motorcycle came behind. The back rider of the motorcycle pushed the biker who sprawled on the ground. The guys in the motorcycle stopped and got the bike then sped away leaving the biker surprised and still on the ground. If only the biker had no headphones then he would be aware of the motorcycle coming near him.

7. ballyhara

ballyhara Member

I do, and all the time! Just have to be careful to put low volume, if not then I can't notice any noise from the bike or the road, like cars and motorcycles. Also, is better to listen to music without lyrics, it tends to be more relaxing, or at least it seems to me that way.

8. ballyhara

ballyhara Member

I totally know what you mean, and I would love to be able to do that. The only place I can listen to hyper/blast music while biking, is when I go to a dome for bikers, which is secure from cars and bad roads. Otherwise, I have to keep it low, because I've seen very ugly accidents due to distracted bikers, checking out their cell phones or very into their music, so please be cautious.