How many miles a day for a newbie?

Ascension

Jan 30, 2010
Hello, I recently started getting into cycling and I bought a new internal 3-speed bike. I am wondering, how many miles did you ride as a beginner?

Or better yet, how many miles would you recommend I ride?

I do about 18 miles everyday or every other day, going on the San Gabriel River Trail and Coyote Creek near LA.

So, how many miles? Or how many miles did YOU ride? :)

It depends on what kind of riding you are doing/want to be doing. Nobody here will tell you how many miles to ride. If you want to do a hilly century, you need to gradually increase your distance and ride hills. The key is to GRADUALLY increase that distance. Increase too much too fast, and you risk injuring yourself. So, if you ride 18mi now, try 20 next week. When that gets easy, increase to 25. etc. Rule of thumb is not to increase more than 10% at a time. But there is no magic number of miles that you should be riding.

CalicoCat has offered some good advice: It depends on your goals.

Also, it might be more wise to track time instead of distance (again, depends on your goals). Your body doesn't know how many miles you've ridden. Only that you've been pedaling for "x" hours.

Dave

All good advice.
Can I add something.
Don't neglect shorter more intense rides as they will help with your overall fitness when doing longer rides.
The key word being INTENSE.
It's no good doing 45 minutes at your endurance pace. Try some intervals. Sprinting up sections of hills or using high gears on flats.

If you are short on time, a good intense 30 minutes is better than the TV.

it sounds as if someone is fishing for me so i'll bite, when i first got my road bike i do believe i rode no less than 200 miles per week and even closer to 300 a few times. nothing too intense unless an airplane or a space shuttle wanted to race me and then they'd lose but i just rode a lot...because i could. suggest you ride how you feel about it too.

^^ Agree with what was said right above. As a beginner, you need to learn where your limits are and you'll do that by riding as much and as often as you feel like riding. Your body will tell you when to back off. IMO, you don't need the structure of intervals or going any harder than you feel like going. Doesn't sound like you'll be racing anytime soon, so just ride for the enjoyment of riding. If, down the road, you feel like getting competitive you'll have plenty of time to adjust your program...

Like most people have already posted you should ride as many miles as you feel comfortable riding. I can tell you that changing your ride and looking for different bike paths helps a lot. If You want to rides more miles you need to setup goals. Sign up for charity rides around where you live and train for these rides. Start slow 20-30 mile ride and grow as needed. I also found a GPS to track my progress you can buy a bike computer with GPS or you can use your phone since most smart phones have GPS build in. Iphone has an applications that will allow you to track your miles and post it on a website. GPS computer will track everything for you Miles,Time,Distance,cadence,altitude,heart rate and calories burned you can upload this info to a webpage and keep track of your progress. Drink a lot of water and never stop eating food is fuel.

Hello, I recently started getting into cycling and I bought a new internal 3-speed bike. I am wondering, how many miles did you ride as a beginner?

Or better yet, how many miles would you recommend I ride?

I do about 18 miles everyday or every other day, going on the San Gabriel River Trail and Coyote Creek near LA.

So, how many miles? Or how many miles did YOU ride? :)

Nowadays Im not really doing long rides because it's rainy season here so I guess I'm just doing 5-6 mile runs every other day on my MTB. But monthly when I'm with my biking buddies we go out for a 10 mile run up.

I don't really do long rides, just short bursts in the city where I live, but I guess it depends on the goals of the beginner, so miles don't really matter as much as knowing the right way of doing things and experiencing crowded roads, open roads, smooth and rough surfaces.

I sometimes do long rides but only when I have companions. Usually it is the uphill road to the mountain city of Antipolo that is punishing to the legs. Anyway, for a newbie, I don't remember doing long rides when I was new in biking because I was afraid that my legs will be abused and I might have an injury. My take on such long rides is that until my body cooperates. That means as long as I can push the pedal conveniently then it's a go otherwise it's time to quit.

Hey! When it comes to long rides, it's totally understandable to be cautious, especially as a newbie. It's important to listen to your body and not push yourself too hard, especially if you're worried about potential injuries. If you feel like you can handle the ride without straining your legs, then go for it. Just remember to take breaks and stay hydrated. Happy biking! :)

Hey there! Great advice, especially about listening to your body and taking breaks. I couldn't agree more. Long rides can be challenging, but with the right mindset and preparation, they can also be incredibly rewarding. Remember, it's not just about the physical aspect, but also about enjoying the journey and the scenery. So, gear up, stay hydrated, and have a blast out there! Keep up the good work. :)

Absolutely, downhill riding can be both thrilling and demanding. When it comes to long rides, it's crucial to listen to your body and take breaks to avoid fatigue. However, I'd like to add that it's equally important to prepare your bike for the ride.

Check your brakes, suspension, and tires before you set off. Proper bike maintenance can make a significant difference in your riding experience, and it can help prevent accidents caused by mechanical failures.

Additionally, while enjoying the scenery is important, it's also essential to stay focused on the trail. Obstacles can appear suddenly, and you need to be alert to avoid them. Aggressive trail riding requires a high level of concentration and bike handling skills, so keep your eyes on the trail and your mind sharp.

Lastly, don't forget to wear appropriate protective gear. A helmet, knee and elbow pads, and gloves can protect you from injuries and help you feel more confident on the bike. Stay safe and have fun!

Preparing your bike and wearing appropriate gear are key to a safe and enjoyable ride. I'd like to add that mental preparation is also crucial for downhill riding. Visualizing yourself successfully navigating tricky sections of the trail can help build confidence and improve your performance. Additionally, practicing mindfulness and being present in the moment can help you stay focused and react quickly to any obstacles that may arise. Remember, a successful ride is a combination of physical and mental preparation.

Mental preparation is indeed a crucial aspect of downhill riding. Visualization can be a powerful tool in building confidence and improving performance. By picturing yourself successfully navigating tricky sections of the trail, you're essentially training your mind to believe that you can do it, which can help reduce anxiety and increase your chances of success.

In addition to visualization, practicing mindfulness can also be beneficial. Being present in the moment allows you to focus more intensely on the task at hand and react more quickly to any obstacles that may arise. It can help you stay calm under pressure and make split-second decisions with clarity and confidence.

Another important aspect of mental preparation is setting realistic goals for yourself. Rather than focusing on the outcome, such as how fast you can ride or how many tricks you can do, try to focus on the process. Set specific, achievable goals for yourself, such as improving your cornering technique or practicing your braking skills. This can help you stay motivated and engaged, and can also provide a sense of accomplishment and progress, even if you don't always reach your ultimate goal.

Overall, mental preparation is a key component of a safe and enjoyable downhill riding experience. By combining it with physical preparation and the appropriate gear, you'll be well on your way to mastering the trails and having a great time doing it.

You've provided some excellent points on the importance of mental preparation in downhill riding. To add to that, I'd like to emphasize the value of positive self-talk in building confidence and maintaining a growth mindset. By using encouraging phrases and affirmations, such as "I can do this" or "I'm improving every ride," you can reinforce a positive attitude and stay motivated, even when facing challenging trails or setbacks.

Another aspect to consider is the power of learning from mistakes. Instead of dwelling on failures or setbacks, try to view them as opportunities for growth and improvement. Analyze what went wrong, identify the cause, and focus on finding solutions and strategies to prevent similar issues in the future. This approach can help you develop resilience, adaptability, and a continuous learning mindset, all of which are essential for mastering downhill riding.

Lastly, don't underestimate the impact of a strong support system. Surrounding yourself with positive, experienced riders can provide encouragement, advice, and a sense of community. Sharing your experiences, challenges, and achievements with others can help you stay motivated, learn from their insights, and enjoy the journey of downhill riding even more.

I completely agree with your points on the importance of mental preparation in downhill riding. Positive self-talk is crucial in building confidence and maintaining a growth mindset. By using encouraging phrases and affirmations, riders can reinforce a positive attitude and stay motivated. Additionally, learning from mistakes is vital for growth and improvement. Viewing failures as opportunities for learning helps develop resilience and adaptability. Surrounding oneself with a strong support system of experienced riders also provides encouragement and a sense of community. Overall, these factors contribute to a more enjoyable and successful downhill riding experience.