How many miles a week do Cat 1/2 riders ride?

LS17 said:
Roughly how many total per week?

This question is like "how many miles do I get out of a chain".

Got a bud who was on the border of cat 1/2 and was a full time rider. I expected him to put in tons of miles, but he said he averaged only about 150/week. Once you get the fitness level up (especially if you race crits mainly) it really becaome more about working on your tactics.

LS17 said:
Roughly how many total per week?
Worry about hours, not miles. I know some very competitive Cat 1's who average 10-12 hours/week. I know Cat 2's struggling to get their Cat 1 upgrade in the mid 20s. Volume is only a part of training stress, it's best to look at the whole picture.

It all depends on what time of year.
During jan - march I was doing about 300 + miles a week, hoping to get a
good base in. I would ride to races, race them and ride home making 120 miles or so on a sunday. Now that it is season, most work on intensity, not length.

steevo said:
It all depends on what time of year.
During jan - march I was doing about 300 + miles a week, hoping to get a
good base in. I would ride to races, race them and ride home making 120 miles or so on a sunday. Now that it is season, most work on intensity, not length.
8 hours to 16 hours for me. I haven't counted KMs since the late 80s.

I'm a new cat 2 this year, and actually train less than last year as a cat 3...9 to 13 hours this year. I ride with a power meter and every mile of training has a purpose. This is working as I grabbed a top 10 in the state road race championship recently.

I think I could be stronger with more time to train, but I have to strike a balance between work and family (beautiful 3 month old daughter at home).