How many miles can you cover in one ride?

Froze

Jul 13, 2004
NE Indiana
My record is 80km (~50 miles) but usually my uncomfortable seat is the one that makes stop to the long rides.

That could be a simple matter of not getting your sit bones distance measured and finding a saddle that fits those measurements. Most LBS's can help you get measured or you can do it yourself by placing 1 inch thick styrofoam pad about 12 inches square on a hard chair and sitting on it butt naked, then lean over in your typical riding position and let the bones settle into the styrofoam, after about a few minutes get up and you should see two indentations on the foam, simply measure from the center of one indentation to the center of the other. Of course you may want to make sure no one is home when you do that because that would be sort of awkward to explain what you're doing!

There are lots of good saddles but you need those measurements to find the right width saddle for you.

Uawadall

Jun 14, 2015
The most i've done was 80, it started out fast and ended really slow with mechanical problems up the wazoo, chain fell off like 20 times that ride ..I'm comfortable doing hilly metrics+ in 4 hours or so (did 65.8/3900ft/15.9 mph) in 4 hours in 10 minutes last weekend. Felt I could have done a little more, but i'm not a fan of super long and slow rides. I did promise myself a summer century, but am running out of time to do so,lol..

Froze

Jul 13, 2004
NE Indiana
Thanks for the good advice, I definitely should do that.

Also, saddles are like shoes, one shoe you may like and another you won't, but I may like the one you don't like and hate the one you do. So you may have to try a few saddles, thus make sure the LBS you buy it from will let you bring it back to exchange for another within usually a week. Some LBS's will let you bring saddles back and some won't so make sure you find out what their policy is. Of course you could save money and buy online from Nashbar and Performance and you can send any saddle back after trying it out for even as long as 30 days, simply exchange it for another one. The crazier part to this saddle business is that once you find a saddle you like in about 3 years the manufacture changes the padding and design of the model or no longer even make the model and now you're stuck with trying to find another saddle when your's wears out!

I would primarily stick with the big 3 brands of saddles like Fizik, Selle Italia, and Prologo line of saddles, those are the big 3 and they seem to be the most comfortable to the most number of people.

Also ask you LBS if they have any trade out saddles for sale, these are saddles that came on new bikes but the customer didn't want it so they put on a different saddle and gave the factory original to the LBS, or the LBS did a fit on a person and it was decided a different saddle was in order, and now they resell those saddles as used but with very light usage but you can get them cheap. I got a $125 Fizik this way for just $20! And it's been a great saddle.

6fhscjess

Aug 7, 2003
I used to do 100 miles in about 5 hours if flat and around 7 hours if hilly but that was over 30 yrs. ago and about 50lbs. lighter. Now flat is hilly, hilly is mountainous and mountains are forget about it. The longest ride I rode was 112 miles back then.

Kakashi

Feb 3, 2018
The most I travelled was about 50 kilometers on a single ride so that's about 25 miles using a mountain bike, it was from Quezon City Mabuhay Rotunda (by way of Ortigas) to Antipolo City Church and back (via Sumulong Hiway). It took us 10 hours, it's a leisurely ride, we could make it in 8.

treecko142

Feb 8, 2018
I don't usually go for very long rides, I think my longest continuous ride was around 15 miles, but I already reached the destination which is why I stopped. I still had enough energy to go on for a while.

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
The Markleeville Death Ride (Tour of the California Alps) Is only 129 miles but it has 5 passes over 8,500 feet. That's altitude, not climbing since I think that it starts at around 6,000 feet. I think I did that twice. And 200 mile (Double Century) rides aren't all that uncommon. I think that Seattle/Portland is a double.

Bob Ross

Jun 22, 2006
The Markleeville Death Ride (Tour of the California Alps) Is only 129 miles but it has 5 passes over 8,500 feet. That's altitude, not climbing since I think that it starts at around 6,000 feet.

Markleeville Death Ride has a total of 15,000' of climbing: You go from ~5,000' to ~8,000' each time you do one of those five climbs.

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
Markleeville Death Ride has a total of 15,000' of climbing: You go from ~5,000' to ~8,000' each time you do one of those five climbs.
A couple of years ago I was going to ride around Tahoe again, but as I got there all hell broke loose with hailstones the size of ping-pong balls. The same thing was predicted for the following day so we just rode Luther Pass instead. I wasn't particularly impressed with it as a climb and I'm a hell of a lot weaker now at 73 than when I was at 55. So of course there was no hail the next day.

If I remember correctly you could do Seattle-Portland in one day but I seem to recall starting in the dark and arriving just as it was getting dark. So I couldn't have been riding that fast.

cyclintom

Jan 15, 2011
Also, saddles are like shoes, one shoe you may like and another you won't, but I may like the one you don't like and hate the one you do. So you may have to try a few saddles, thus make sure the LBS you buy it from will let you bring it back to exchange for another within usually a week. Some LBS's will let you bring saddles back and some won't so make sure you find out what their policy is. Of course you could save money and buy online from Nashbar and Performance and you can send any saddle back after trying it out for even as long as 30 days, simply exchange it for another one. The crazier part to this saddle business is that once you find a saddle you like in about 3 years the manufacture changes the padding and design of the model or no longer even make the model and now you're stuck with trying to find another saddle when your's wears out!

I would primarily stick with the big 3 brands of saddles like Fizik, Selle Italia, and Prologo line of saddles, those are the big 3 and they seem to be the most comfortable to the most number of people.

Also ask you LBS if they have any trade out saddles for sale, these are saddles that came on new bikes but the customer didn't want it so they put on a different saddle and gave the factory original to the LBS, or the LBS did a fit on a person and it was decided a different saddle was in order, and now they resell those saddles as used but with very light usage but you can get them cheap. I got a $125 Fizik this way for just $20! And it's been a great saddle.

I must have tried a million saddles over the years and never could get the ideal saddle until Prologo Scratch Pro came along. Now most of the Prologos work on me but an old "Try and Buy" is the best I've found.

prologo