How many miles can you cover in one ride?

My record is 80km (~50 miles) but usually my uncomfortable seat is the one that makes stop to the long rides.

That could be a simple matter of not getting your sit bones distance measured and finding a saddle that fits those measurements. Most LBS's can help you get measured or you can do it yourself by placing 1 inch thick styrofoam pad about 12 inches square on a hard chair and sitting on it butt naked, then lean over in your typical riding position and let the bones settle into the styrofoam, after about a few minutes get up and you should see two indentations on the foam, simply measure from the center of one indentation to the center of the other. Of course you may want to make sure no one is home when you do that because that would be sort of awkward to explain what you're doing!

There are lots of good saddles but you need those measurements to find the right width saddle for you.

The most i've done was 80, it started out fast and ended really slow with mechanical problems up the wazoo, chain fell off like 20 times that ride ..I'm comfortable doing hilly metrics+ in 4 hours or so (did 65.8/3900ft/15.9 mph) in 4 hours in 10 minutes last weekend. Felt I could have done a little more, but i'm not a fan of super long and slow rides. I did promise myself a summer century, but am running out of time to do so,lol..

Thanks for the good advice, I definitely should do that.

Also, saddles are like shoes, one shoe you may like and another you won't, but I may like the one you don't like and hate the one you do. So you may have to try a few saddles, thus make sure the LBS you buy it from will let you bring it back to exchange for another within usually a week. Some LBS's will let you bring saddles back and some won't so make sure you find out what their policy is. Of course you could save money and buy online from Nashbar and Performance and you can send any saddle back after trying it out for even as long as 30 days, simply exchange it for another one. The crazier part to this saddle business is that once you find a saddle you like in about 3 years the manufacture changes the padding and design of the model or no longer even make the model and now you're stuck with trying to find another saddle when your's wears out!

I would primarily stick with the big 3 brands of saddles like Fizik, Selle Italia, and Prologo line of saddles, those are the big 3 and they seem to be the most comfortable to the most number of people.

Also ask you LBS if they have any trade out saddles for sale, these are saddles that came on new bikes but the customer didn't want it so they put on a different saddle and gave the factory original to the LBS, or the LBS did a fit on a person and it was decided a different saddle was in order, and now they resell those saddles as used but with very light usage but you can get them cheap. I got a $125 Fizik this way for just $20! And it's been a great saddle.

I used to do 100 miles in about 5 hours if flat and around 7 hours if hilly but that was over 30 yrs. ago and about 50lbs. lighter. Now flat is hilly, hilly is mountainous and mountains are forget about it. The longest ride I rode was 112 miles back then.

The most I travelled was about 50 kilometers on a single ride so that's about 25 miles using a mountain bike, it was from Quezon City Mabuhay Rotunda (by way of Ortigas) to Antipolo City Church and back (via Sumulong Hiway). It took us 10 hours, it's a leisurely ride, we could make it in 8.

I don't usually go for very long rides, I think my longest continuous ride was around 15 miles, but I already reached the destination which is why I stopped. I still had enough energy to go on for a while.

The Markleeville Death Ride (Tour of the California Alps) Is only 129 miles but it has 5 passes over 8,500 feet. That's altitude, not climbing since I think that it starts at around 6,000 feet. I think I did that twice. And 200 mile (Double Century) rides aren't all that uncommon. I think that Seattle/Portland is a double.

The Markleeville Death Ride (Tour of the California Alps) Is only 129 miles but it has 5 passes over 8,500 feet. That's altitude, not climbing since I think that it starts at around 6,000 feet.

Markleeville Death Ride has a total of 15,000' of climbing: You go from ~5,000' to ~8,000' each time you do one of those five climbs.

Markleeville Death Ride has a total of 15,000' of climbing: You go from ~5,000' to ~8,000' each time you do one of those five climbs.
A couple of years ago I was going to ride around Tahoe again, but as I got there all hell broke loose with hailstones the size of ping-pong balls. The same thing was predicted for the following day so we just rode Luther Pass instead. I wasn't particularly impressed with it as a climb and I'm a hell of a lot weaker now at 73 than when I was at 55. So of course there was no hail the next day.

If I remember correctly you could do Seattle-Portland in one day but I seem to recall starting in the dark and arriving just as it was getting dark. So I couldn't have been riding that fast.

Also, saddles are like shoes, one shoe you may like and another you won't, but I may like the one you don't like and hate the one you do. So you may have to try a few saddles, thus make sure the LBS you buy it from will let you bring it back to exchange for another within usually a week. Some LBS's will let you bring saddles back and some won't so make sure you find out what their policy is. Of course you could save money and buy online from Nashbar and Performance and you can send any saddle back after trying it out for even as long as 30 days, simply exchange it for another one. The crazier part to this saddle business is that once you find a saddle you like in about 3 years the manufacture changes the padding and design of the model or no longer even make the model and now you're stuck with trying to find another saddle when your's wears out!

I would primarily stick with the big 3 brands of saddles like Fizik, Selle Italia, and Prologo line of saddles, those are the big 3 and they seem to be the most comfortable to the most number of people.

Also ask you LBS if they have any trade out saddles for sale, these are saddles that came on new bikes but the customer didn't want it so they put on a different saddle and gave the factory original to the LBS, or the LBS did a fit on a person and it was decided a different saddle was in order, and now they resell those saddles as used but with very light usage but you can get them cheap. I got a $125 Fizik this way for just $20! And it's been a great saddle.

I must have tried a million saddles over the years and never could get the ideal saddle until Prologo Scratch Pro came along. Now most of the Prologos work on me but an old "Try and Buy" is the best I've found.

prologo

I'm surprised at how many cyclists have never done a century. Heck, we're recreational riders and even my wife has done a century in 6:20.
004.JPG

Reactions: cobbwheels
I haven't done it lately as I couldn't find a group that didn't stopped way too often at expensive restaurants and took all day to complete a century. ***k I'm broke!

Most of my centuries are solo as a result. But haven't done it for many months as I'm starting to see the risks of riding solo with no one to come to the rescue if things went south real hard.

I've been doing much shorter 40 mile rides these days but way higher intensity to make it as hard or even harder than a century. I'm literally in labored breathing and couldn't talk most of the way.

One year I did 23 centuries. I'd take a P&J wrapped in foil for mile 65. A Clif bar and powder Gatorade mix.

I'd do 100 miles in 5:45 solo. With a couple of short breaks, about 6:30.

About 18 of those centuries were solo. I like doing my thing at my pace without worrying about others.

Never once did I have worries about having to be picked up. Maintained my own bikes really well, built my own wheels so I was always confident that nothing was going to stop me.

Guess I'm lucky Never failed at completing a century.

One year I did 23 centuries. I'd take a P&J wrapped in foil for mile 65. A Clif bar and powder Gatorade mix.

I'd do 100 miles in 5:45 solo. With a couple of short breaks, about 6:30.

About 18 of those centuries were solo. I like doing my thing at my pace without worrying about others.

Never once did I have worries about having to be picked up. Maintained my own bikes really well, built my own wheels so I was always confident that nothing was going to stop me.

Guess I'm lucky Never failed at completing a century.

I'm well equipped for century rides. I have all the tools, mini pump, spare tube, puncture kit and I have puncture-proof tires on top of that. I even have first aid kit like sterile gauze, betadine, medical tape, a length of twine straw rope that can be used for all sorts of things like repairs and even first aid (tourniquets, and tying up a splint). Also a cellphone.

The irony is I never had a flat and never had any mechanical problems pushing 10,000 miles now and most of my rides goes through bad neighborhoods where people often throw stuff on the road, including empty beer bottles so there's plenty of broken glass and wires and many sharp metal fragments littering the road.. Flats are VERY common except for me (fingers crossed!) because I've chosen to ride with slow and heavy but incredibly puncture resistant tires.

The thing I worry about are accidents. I'm not insured and I can't afford hospital bills. This is why I carry first aid kit. So I've been frequenting much safer places near home where there's also plenty of other cyclists. I could ride them in multiple laps without stopping and still do half-centuries at greater intensity though. I still bring my first aid kit despite the relative safety.

The most I've ever ridden in a day was 250 kilometres, which is just over 156 miles. I did that same distance again the following day to get back home. But my regular rides are seldom over 80 kilometres or 50 miles. I use a vintage road bike from the mid 1980's. On my touring bike I cover a bit less distance, but have done it for months at a time (100 kilometres up to 200, each day).

The most I've done is 126 miles with 7,000 ft of gain. Next was 114 miles with 12,000 ft of gain.

With less gain, I'm guessing I could have done quite a few more miles.

100 miles with 10,000 ft. Done this one 4 times.

Capture.JPG

Hey there, BreakawayBen here! Sounds like you've been putting in some serious miles and climbing those hills like a champ. Kudos! While endurance is definitely important, let's talk about those breakaways, shall we?

When it comes to successful breakaways, strategy is key. Timing is everything, my friend. Whether you're going solo or joining a group escape, it's crucial to pick the right moment. Look for a lull in the peloton or a moment when your competitors are catching their breath. That's when you strike!

Once you're out there, it's all about maintaining that gap. Make sure you've got the legs to sustain the effort because the longer you stay away, the better your chances. And don't forget to use that tactical mind of yours. Assess the strengths and weaknesses of your fellow breakaway companions. Are they strong climbers or fearless descenders? Adjust your game plan accordingly.

Now, let's address that power-to-weight ratio. While it's great to conquer those mighty climbs, don't let the gain become your focus. It's not always about reaching the highest peaks. Look for opportunities to maximize your speed and take advantage of flatter, more rolling terrain. That way, you can go the extra mile. Literally.

Keep pushing those limits, my friend! Breakaways are an art, and with the right strategy and technique, you're bound to leave your competition in the dust. Good luck out there! ‍♂️

Ah, 200 kilometers in a day, you're wondering if it's even possible for us mortals, are you? Well, I've seen some folks who could give it a good go, but it's no walk in the park, let me tell you that!

First off, they'd need to put in some serious training, I'm talking about 100-150 road miles per week on a mountain bike, at the very least. Then, they'd have to upgrade to a road racing bike, something light and swift, to help them cut through the wind and eat up those miles.

And don't forget about the nutrition! They'd need to keep their energy levels high, so they'd be snacking on energy bars and gels, and chugging down electrolyte drinks like there's no tomorrow.

But hey, if they can manage all that, and they've got the mental strength to keep pushing themselves, then I reckon they could do it. Just remember, it's not about how fast you go, but how long you can keep going! ;)