How many miles do you have on your knees?

MoBentRdr said:
There may be a little misunderstanding here. Not sure whether it is on my end or yours, but I'll clarify for the benefit of anyone reading. Many DFs do not have the third (and smaller) front chain ring and therefore require more "mashing" of gears. Any implication that this is "all wrong" was not my intent. For some riders (and conditions) a double is ok.
A lot depends on the terrain, if you've got a few decent hills a double is not going to be enough for maintaining a high cadence. Add in that you've got to either a) be a really strong rider or b) have poor technique and the 53/12(11) gear is beyond the reach of most, well it's certainly beyond me.

The geometry of the bike can make a difference. On a DF, the maximum force you can apply to the pedal is approximately your weight by standing on the pedal, shifting weight from side to side. On a bent, it is possible to put more pressure on the pedal than one's weight. This can be done by using the seat back as leverage. kind of like sitting against a wall and pushing a heavy object with your feet. This is where improper technique can cause knee problems on a bent, as one can more easily over exert a knee on a bent vs a DF.
I've not considered that, makes sense. Thanks.

Depending on the individual rider, the compact cranks may not be enough.
An appropriately chosen compact will give you the same low gear as a triple, although you'll lose top end potential. My 12's really really shiny in comparrison to my other cogs so I'm not unduly worried about that :)

You are right about the importance of pedalling technique. Keeping your cadence at 80+ sounds like you are doing it right, and we should encourage any and all newbie cyclists to do likewise.
Agreed, I suggest to new cyclists that they ride in a gear easier than they think they should be in to start.

I hope this comes accross in the positive way I intend. Being aware that others, sometimes new riders, read these posts, I wrote so as to be helpful to lesser experienced riders. Happy riding.
I didn't mean to come across as negative, just trying to be concise :)

EuanB said:
I didn't mean to come across as negative, just trying to be concise :)
I didn't take it as negative. Just wanted to make sure you didn't see my comments as condesending or negative.

You must have your bike geared low. I had thought you meant only shorter crank arms and didn't think about using smaller chain rings. On these Missouri hills, it is easy to need the 52-11 combo (on downhill, not uphill :D, sorry I couldn't resist). On my Trimuter, I've got a duel drive that allows me to be geared even lower than I otherwise would. It also allows for quite higher than the 52-11 combo. I haven't had the courage to go that fast yet.

This is somewhat of a guess. I average about 3000 miles/year. With my youth, and some extended rides, I'd guess about 110,000 miles. No health problems. Knees are fine.

MoBentRdr said:
You must have your bike geared low. I had thought you meant only shorter crank arms and didn't think about using smaller chain rings. On these Missouri hills, it is easy to need the 52-11 combo (on downhill, not uphill :D, sorry I couldn't resist).
If I ever get that fast, which isn't often, I'd be concentrating more on keeping my bike on the right line than pedalling.[/quote]
On my Trimuter, I've got a duel drive that allows me to be geared even lower than I otherwise would. It also allows for quite higher than the 52-11 combo. I haven't had the courage to go that fast yet.
You'll appreciate this set-up then: http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/853_commuter.shtml

Gear range of 13-133 inches! Gotta be enough for anyone. I want one.

EuanB said:
If I ever get that fast, which isn't often, I'd be concentrating more on keeping my bike on the right line than pedalling. You'll appreciate this set-up then: http://www.kinetics.org.uk/html/853_commuter.shtml

Gear range of 13-133 inches! Gotta be enough for anyone. I want one.
When going that fast, I don't worry about keeping on the right line because cars are not going to pass. I've exceded the speed limit on town streets a few times.

How about a gear range of 16-167. Using the calculator at http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/gearinches.asp and using 26 inches for my rear wheel (I haven't measured to be precise) thats the range for my Trimuter Bigwheel. 52-42-30 chain ring, 11-34 rear cassette, sram dual drive .73-1.00-1.36. I'm thinking about putting on smaller chain rings, something like 48-38-26 or maybe 44-34-22. The 44-34-22 would still provide a gear range of 12-141. It would make climbing these blankety blank Missouri hills a little easier.

The bike looks nice, but it's not a bent! :(

MoBentRdr said:
When going that fast, I don't worry about keeping on the right line because cars are not going to pass. I've exceded the speed limit on town streets a few times.

How about a gear range of 16-167. Using the calculator at http://www.recumbents.com/WISIL/gearinches.asp and using 26 inches for my rear wheel (I haven't measured to be precise) thats the range for my Trimuter Bigwheel. 52-42-30 chain ring, 11-34 rear cassette, sram dual drive .73-1.00-1.36. I'm thinking about putting on smaller chain rings, something like 48-38-26 or maybe 44-34-22. The 44-34-22 would still provide a gear range of 12-141. It would make climbing these blankety blank Missouri hills a little easier.

The bike looks nice, but it's not a bent! :(
on my moutain bike I have rear 11 to 34
front 52 44 not sure what I have but I can climb a hill like nothing
those are 26" wheels took a long time to build that bike if you send your email address I will send you what the bike looks like.
also depend on what a bike weight is I stay big wheels 12 through 34
triple crank my fisher wieght is 26 pounds
but that bike cost 5 grand if you need help upgreating I can help.
I know most cost of parts in my head bought a lot of stuff though the years
31 years of buying parts lol I know.
my email is [email protected] or [email protected]

There is always something that happens like this in the teens when you are involved in sports. There's not much history on this syndrome. I don't know I wouldn't pay attention to it other than you need to rest up and go a little easier. Don't think of it as a syndrome. They come up with all sorts of **** to scare people. I had different issues with my arms as a teen ager and they said a few things. Gave some pain meds. I mean you are kind of still growing in a sense. This has to be taken into consideration. You also have no level of fear really so you tend to go all out with things. You just got to ease up. Pace yourself. Some kind of moist heat therapy. Make sure you stretch before and after. This kind of thing. I wouldn't focus on it. Mostly these kind of things go away. I would get too into the pain killers they just make things worse in the long run. They are addictive and often part of a vicious cycle. Sometimes they prolong pain and just don't work. Pain here and there is pretty normal if you are any kind of an athlete. You need to use your better judgement. If you get pain listen to that and stretch or walk it out. Don't make it worse. Stretching does a lot for pain and so does walking things off.

I only got probably around 1000 miles on my knees. Not too bad for a 17 year old haha. I'm looking to I crease those miles big time in the coming years though