How Many Miles Does It Take For Stress Relief?

This depends on the person and his limits. In my opinion, you shouldn't push yourself if you are aiming for stress relief. If you try doing long rides you might stress yourself more. You should ride in minimum minutes or as long as you're comfortable.

Reactions: Steve5
I guess it would depend on how stressful my day/week has been. If I'm just having some minor anxiety, going out for a ride as short as 4km (2.4 miles) is enough to drastically reduce my anxiety and have me feeling refreshed. If I've had a particularly stressful time, I need to push for much harder and longer, because my mind tends to stay on what's stressing me out unless all the focus is being put on my body.

But like I said, on an average day, anywhere between 4-8km are enough to have me feeling good.

It really isn't about the distance. I find that stress relief comes from being in the moment. It feels nice to let all your worries go once you're in the groove of riding.

I guess it would depend on how stressful my day/week has been. If I'm just having some minor anxiety, going out for a ride as short as 4km (2.4 miles) is enough to drastically reduce my anxiety and have me feeling refreshed. If I've had a particularly stressful time, I need to push for much harder and longer, because my mind tends to stay on what's stressing me out unless all the focus is being put on my body.

But like I said, on an average day, anywhere between 4-8km are enough to have me feeling good.

That's interesting. It seems like lots of people find it more effective to ride longer distances. I guess it's a thing. I prefer leisurely rides since it's the most effective means of stress relief for me. :)

This depends on the person and his limits. In my opinion, you shouldn't push yourself if you are aiming for stress relief. If you try doing long rides you might stress yourself more. You should ride in minimum minutes or as long as you're comfortable.

I like what you said. I totally agree with you. We should ride as much as we're comfortable. Pushing ourselves may just aggravate the issue.

Anything that can clears my mind, works for me. So, if I'm cycling for exercise, I'm not very concerned with stressing out, but I need to take some time out from my daily routine, then for sure I take about half an hour, usually beginning at a fast pace, and while the time goes by, I'm noticing the pace coming down and feeling more relieved.

That's interesting. It seems like lots of people find it more effective to ride longer distances. I guess it's a thing. I prefer leisurely rides since it's the most effective means of stress relief for me. :)

Well as I said, it just depends on the level of stress. If I'm trying to just relax after a regular day, maybe there is something slightly irritating me but isn't that important, then I can easily just go for a leisurely ride in the evening. But if there was a big issue, like I got into a heated argument with a loved one, or I'm at my wits end worrying about paying the bills or something, then I'm going to need a much harder ride before my mind starts focusing less on my problems and more on how hard my body is biking.

Well as I said, it just depends on the level of stress. If I'm trying to just relax after a regular day, maybe there is something slightly irritating me but isn't that important, then I can easily just go for a leisurely ride in the evening. But if there was a big issue, like I got into a heated argument with a loved one, or I'm at my wits end worrying about paying the bills or something, then I'm going to need a much harder ride before my mind starts focusing less on my problems and more on how hard my body is biking.

Sounds like a strategy. I guess when you're doing a more intense ride you're less likely to think about what's stressing you. I've also seen other riders going as if they're racing someone. Must have had a lot to deal with on their minds. :D

I'm mainly looking to ride in order not to emit hydrocarbons from a car, and to improve my overall fitness level. I don't really see it as a stress relief thing, but I do feel more cheerful after I ride.

Bob
(slapping self in head and shaking it) - Forget your carbon footprint. If you live in any developed country that isn't generating most of it's energy via hydroelectric power or nuclear energy the difference in your carbon footprint probably is so slight no matter what you do that it doesn't make a difference. And I'm not speaking of you alone but of your entire country's population.

Worse yet - there IS no man-made global warming and CO2 would have nothing to do with it if there was. CO2 absorbs all of the energy in it's absorption bands that the Sun applies to the Earth at a puny 200 ppm or so. CO2 is presently at around 400 ppm and plants grow better and animals grow better because there is more plant food.

The Earth has "Warm Periods" approximately every 1,000 years. The Mycenean a thousand years before Christ, the Roman Period around the time of Christ and the Medieval in about 1,000 AD were examples. So why should we be surprised that around 2,000 AD we have another?

The Environmentalism movement was fine when it responded to things such as dumping garbage into our rivers and lakes. When it opposed raw sewage being dumped into the inland waterways or the San Francisco Bay. I grew up seeing these things and I was all for the movement before they had some successes and it went to their heads and they simply invented another environmental disaster in the making.

Look I don't know what happened to NASA. The papers from them have been an absolute and complete lie. Look at this chart they have published:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_warming#/media/File:Global_Temperature_Anomaly.svg

This is supposedly from ground weather stations. Several problems - there was something called the Urban Heat Island effect that is extremely difficult to correct for no matter what you hear. Furthermore, they were showing weather stations such as in Central Africa that never existed. They are showing sea temperatures for an entire year based on a sounding temperature taken from a commercial ship that passed through an area three times per year!

Well it turns out that in 1979 NASA launched weather satellites that could read Mean Global Temperature. 38 years isn't sufficient to be able to measure any significant part of historic climate change but simply compare the time from 1979 onward on both charts.

http://www.drroyspencer.com/wp-content/uploads/UAH_LT_1979_thru_June_2018_v6.jpg

Dr. Roy Spencer was the Senior Scientist for Climate Studies at NASA and keeps these records even to today since they are public information.

And what that chart shows is NO warming at all since 1979. The variations in that chart are nothing more than the normal chaotic weather variations. If you statistically average the results of the entire weather satellite chart it shows the temperature is actually falling. But since the record is too short we can use His centerline which shows no UNEXPECTED changes.

And I feel a great deal better though tired as hell after my rides which are in general too long and too hard.

Last edited: